Brit Butt Rally Hotel

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well my booking went wrong and I was ripped off by Premier Inn and had to pay Double the price for the weekend...
So Not again...

Location should be down to the Rally Master so that the bonus waypoints reflect the difficulty..
Ref Central .. Well it's the UK... Not just England, but the idea of IBA & LD Riding it should be what the Rally Master wants to do and give the challenge of distance with the bonus.

But what the feck do I know... I've not done a rally yet .. Only paid the price of being ripped off by Premier Inn.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Well my booking went wrong and I was ripped off by Premier Inn and had to pay Double the price for the weekend...
So Not again...

Location should be down to the Rally Master so that the bonus waypoints reflect the difficulty..
Ref Central .. Well it's the UK... Not just England, but the idea of IBA & LD Riding it should be what the Rally Master wants to do and give the challenge of distance with the bonus.

But what the feck do I know... I've not done a rally yet .. Only paid the price of being ripped off by Premier Inn.
Mine was cocked up but was not ripped off just put out moving hotels and only part sorted by myself not by the hotel

IBRX3

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So yes, maybe moving the location around a bit each year would spice up the route option/nightmare scenarios o_O.
Well said that man.
Starting the rally in a central location may make it cuddly and fluffy for people getting to the start location but it does mean that each rally is basically a slight tweak on the previous years but the playing field is fixed . I have rally files from BBR 08/09 and at first glance the spread of bonuses is pretty much the same as every year since.
Whats wrong with starting it in Scotland ,Wales or an extreme. Give the rallymaster a new range of options to screw the riders.
I say Vote Leave- make the break ( Applies to more than just the BBR HQ location !)

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The central location give the maximum amount of options. Every rally is different and will be again next year with a new rally master. Taking it to an extreme immediately restricts the route choices towards one end of the country. The central location gives the rally master the maximum amount of options to come up with his fiendish plan.
The routes are never the same as the points are different each rally.
It's also easier for those that have limited time off.
Just my 2 pennyworth.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The high price some paid for rooms was the full price probably inflated due to kasabian being in town Saturday and sunday. Most of Leicester was fully booked. Just a one off
Most of the rally riders got a good room deal.

I thought overall the staff looked after us well.

We have used 3 different hotels in the last 3 years

So what is good or bad about.
1 Premier Inn Castle for M62 2014
2 Best Western Windmill Village Hotel Coventry 2015
3 Premier Inn Leicester Fosse Park 2016

Some of you will have experienced all three, others just one or two.

I have my thoughts (from an organisers point of view) but please post here what you think before a decision is made for the 10th Brit Butt Rally in 2017
My thoughts:

1) - Premier Inn Castleford (2013, 2014)
My favourite to date. Decent wi-fi service, decent food, the rooms were nice and comfortable, plenty of alternative catering arrangements nearby. ODO check run was convenient & easy. The bar area also had a nice viewing window for those watching me change coil packs. In the rain. :) Castleford pips Fosse Park for me but it's possibly swayed by rose tinted glasses as 2013 was my first rally.

2) - Best Western, Coventry (2015)
My least favourite. The shooting of "My big fat Gypsy chav Wedding" in the bar wasn't the organisers' fault or really the hotel's fault, but disturbed sleep and delayed sleep bonuses were the result. The wi-fi service was awful in the rooms and at the time (because I was using Tyre & Google maps for route planning instead of BaseCamp) this made the rally planning exceptionally difficult for me personally. I actually had to use my mobile internet to assist in route planning in the end and even that was a PITA as Vodafone mobile internet is crap anyway. The catering for the rally meal wasn't a patch on the Premier Inn offerings.

3) - Premier Inn Leicester (2016)
Not half bad, but I did prefer Castleford personally. The rooms were too hot for me and the lack of air-con meant I got a pitiful amount of sleep prior to kick-off Saturday am, even though I finished my planning relatively early (for me). The particular room I had was also quite a hike from the bike parking which was a faff (A bit like the rally set-off, chance determines which end of the line / hotel you are!). I thought the central location made sense for rally purposes. The staff were great.

There's really not much to split Castleford / Leicester for me, but I did think the Castleford hotel itself to be slightly nicer. I didn't like the Coventry venue though.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that there are a couple of Premier Inns on the Isle of Wight...

Regards,
Martin

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
It would do away with it, you could have technical inspection at end, and odo route, (timed photo of speedo start) sent in within 5 minutes of book being sent out, with a special picture to prove its live.

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
Could the rally book not be emailed to each individual at start of rally, they could start where they want, but allfinish at same hotel?
That would make it a bit tricky to get the points for the locations right. If I lived at JOG, I would expect anything near LE to be high points, but if I live at LE it would be vice versa...

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
You would choose your own starting place, doesnt need to Be home, you could hedge your bets and sit in the middle before the start.

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
I think Premier Inns off the best value for money but Rally HQ should be decided by the rally master as it as he plans the rally.
Castleford for me, close to home.