Brit Butt Tour 2022

bmbob

IBA Member
Hi Wully
Here's my take on your questions.
1. Yes for me fb worked fine
2. Yes
3. No keep it simple. "if it ain't broke don't fix it!
4. They were all good, but the highlight for me was Twatt, simply because I've never been to the Orkney Islands.
5. Plot all locations on a large scale map (hanging on the kitchen wall), use base camp to plot routes, about 3 to 8 locations in a day, around 400 to 800miles a trip. ( I also 'mix and match' with RBR location's)
6. Good Question, well I love riding, but each trip must have place to go to, so the BBT foots the bill nicely.

Hope this useful to others.
Regards Bob

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I don’t use Facebook, maybe I should.

Twatt was the most interesting location. It was my first visit to the Orkney’s and I extended my stay there by three days to take in the Island’s history.

Lost was the most frustrating. From Cock Bridge I headed off to Grantown-on-Spey to refuel, the Esso garage there was not selling fuel because the computer system was down so I headed off to Aviemore. While I’m refuelling I glance at my itinerary and realise I’ve missed Lost. From Aviemore I headed off to Lost which meant I covered the 8 miles from Cock Bridge to Lost in 84 miles, crossing Cock Bridge four times!

Spanker Lane was a coincidence, 550 miles from home I bumped into an old neighbour who by chance now lives in the house next to the Spanker Lane name plate.

Route planning was done using the supplied gpx file and ITNConvertor to create an optimised route around all 69 locations which I then divided into 4 one day rides, 4 two day rides and a 4 day tour. I then created a TomTom ov2 POI file of all 69 locations and used that to navigate from each location to the next one by one.

This was my first Brit Butt Tour and I nearly didn’t enter, it was only when Phil handed out some Rally Books at the National Jamboree and I saw Location 1 Twatt! My thoughts were where’s that? Orkney! I’d never been there and there are 68 more excuses to get out and ride. I signed on, would have been a Twatt not to.

Looking forward to BBT23

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
1. How did the Facebook group work. - Worked well for me, but I don't use FB very often
2. Do you wish it to continue - Yes, easier than posting photos here
3. Any improvements - nope
4. What checkpoint left the biggest impression good or bad - Twatt, it needed that extra bit of effort so I stayed a couple of days, now I'm planning a longer trip to do some island hopping which I probably would not have contemplated before.
5. Give an insight in how you plan you route, is it one checkpoint or several you visit - I work away all over the UK so I bang them all into the sat nav and just hit next until I get to my destination. No real planning at all.
6. Why do you enter - I have been lucky to have spent most of my life overseas, I'm now discovering the UK

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
cert pic.png

The certificates all printed and will be posted in the next couple of days.

£5 from each entry and all the fee from the Platinum finishers is always donated to charity.

I normally ask one of the Platinum finishers who they would like the donation to go to.
In 2021 Martin Harries entered but didn't visit any bonuses at all. This year he stepped up and visited all 69 bonuses

So £340 will be donated to Martin's chosen charity. Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance

Entry for 2023 will open in December to start in January 2023. The theme is Castles.

BBR22Logo.jpg

Wully
first of many thanks I had a great time.i don't do rally's but decided to do this to get a taste as I live some 15 miles from twatt I decided to do the lit in one ride over several days.
I loaded the file onto Basecamp and divided the location's into what I thought were logical groups in each area and set off.
I visited each location arriving within the prescribed times on the rally book I didn't really plan any accommodation just stopped and looked.
The last location I visited was twatt which as I said earlier was the closest to home.
Had a great time saw parts of the country I would not have.
A great way of having a motorcycle holiday

Robert Higgs

Hi, Wully,
Had some thoroughly enjoyable ride outs on this year's BBT. In answer to your questions:
1. I'm not on Facebook at the moment but might give it a go.
2. I'll let you know once I'm on.
3. Ditto
4. Hardon Road - while I was lining up the shot a local rode past on a bicycle and shouted out to me in a broad Brummie accent, "It's a great name for a street isn't it!" which gave me a laugh. It also got me thinking about how a resident there might react if he was picking up his Viagara prescription from the local pharmacy and was asked for his address as security......
5. I generally go for days out so plan my trips accordingly, 350 - 400 miles-ish.
6. Is's a great excuse for a ride out and I can visit parts of the country that I might not normally visit. Looking forward to finding some of the castles that I did not get to on the BBR next year.

Last edited:

Carl

IBA Member
Hi everyone. I know this tour is now finished but I'm still plan on picking up the 14 locations I couldnt get to last year. I'll make a long weekend of it in Scotland as the locations are all north of Giggleswick some 269 miles from home. Twatt is a must even if the sign is no longer there.

Anyway, I was looking for a weekend to get up north with 44teeth on in the background when they said they were off to Peniscola in Spain. Hmmm. Just so happens that Peniscola is exactly 1000 miles from Calais so I feel a bonus silly place name SS1600 might be needed. Anyone done it already?

44teeth video:

Screenshot_20230129_220451.jpg

There is a twatt sign Google it and it comes up.it is on the road from birsay to evie
The original one kept being stolen.
If it helps northlink ferries do a bed and breakfast on the ferry from stromness

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
+1 Another Twatt sign, head west on the A967 from Birsay

Calais to Peniscola is a little short of a 1,000 miles. TomTom's fastest (toll road) route option offers Calais-Paris-Vierzon-Toulouse-Barcelona-Peniscola at 916 miles in 13½ hours and a similar route avoiding toll roads at 932 miles in 18 hours. Obviously fuel stops and breaks will need adding to those timings.