Bucket list

Super8mm

Premier Member
Good evening folks, I am working on my retirement bucket list which included spending about a month in Scotland seeing where my male heritage is from.

While there I thought I might as well see about doing a SS1000 there so I will be having some questions.

Some of them for now are.

1. How is the weather mid July to mid august?

2. Is it cheaper to rent a bike for a month or bring my own?

3. On you northern route for the RBLR what sort of speed limits are the roads

4. How hard is it to get around Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo in August?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated

Steve from Texas

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Steve,

I can answer a few of your questions:

3. The northern RBLR1000 route is a mixture of motorways (highways) and fast single carriage 'A' roads. Speed limits are 70 on dual carriageways and motorways and 60 on most A roads. There's not much traffic to worry a bike in the highlands so progress should be relatively easy. If you want route details see here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4UUu76wz3CwQmxhTjdON2VwTFU

4. Edinburgh is easy enough to get round as there's a dual carriage way by-pass (the A470).

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Super8mm

Premier Member
Hi Steve,

I can answer a few of your questions:

3. The northern RBLR1000 route is a mixture of motorways (highways) and fast single carriage 'A' roads. Speed limits are 70 on dual carriageways and motorways and 60 on most A roads. There's not much traffic to worry a bike in the highlands so progress should be relatively easy. If you want route details see here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4UUu76wz3CwQmxhTjdON2VwTFU

4. Edinburgh is easy enough to get round as there's a dual carriage way by-pass (the A470).

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks FJRPilot, it looks like I will have to see about getting Basecamp for the UK. the route I downloaded shows up to there is no land under it "LOL"

Super8mm

Premier Member
Found this site http://roadtrip.uk/bmw-motorcycle-hire/R1200GS/ that rents out bikes though £650/ 850$ looks like a lot, some of the guys here do the IBR on their own bikes so they will be able to tell you about shipping, always nice to have your own bike.
Thanks Tom Tom that is a bit pricey even for the low 700GS. I have a short inseam and after I put the Russell Day Long on my low R1200GS I had to lower it another 60mm. I am working on a 07 K1200GT now and will have to do the same with it. it just seems nice to be able to get your feet on the ground so you can back up the bike without getting off "LOL"

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
bike shipping
Around £900 to fly UK to USA and £1200 to ship USA to UK which takes 2 - 3 months
I flew my bike USA to UK and it cost around £1800
Each year Air Canada does a deal to fly your bike on the same flight as you to Europe for around Canadian $500 each way. They've run it for a few years and I'm looking to use it for my 800 Triumph tiger for IBR17

Pleased that you will be prepared for the midges but having sunscreen in Scotland is being a tad optimistic in my opinion. Can honestly say I've never met a sweaty with a suntan

... and to all those going to have a go, YES, I am half Scottish myself.

Be lucky, Iain

Last edited: