Butt Lite Grand Tour April 15 - November 15, 2021

Murphyau

Entered, with 2,397 km logged so far.
Well, parts of Sydney have just been put under "stay at home" orders, which I expect will be rolled out for all of Sydney sometime next week. How long they will be in place is anyone's guess.

edit: Well that didn't take long. Six hours after my earlier comment, a 2 week lock-down with restriction to follow afterwards has just been announced for Greater Sydney from 6:00pm tonight.

Fortunately, I bought some polish from SuperCheapAuto on Wednesday, so I can spend the next few weeks polishing my bike, and planning my next "bonus" ride in late July or early August.

Last edited:

Murphyau

Well, parts of Sydney have just been put under "stay at home" orders, which I expect will be rolled out for all of Sydney sometime next week. How long they will be in place is anyone's guess.

edit: Well that didn't take long. Six hours after my earlier comment, a 2 week lock-down with restriction to follow afterwards has just been announced for Greater Sydney from 6:00pm tonight.

Fortunately, I bought some polish from SuperCheapAuto on Wednesday, so I can spend the next few weeks polishing my bike, and planning my next "bonus" ride in late July or early August.
The 2 week lock-down announced on 23 June turned into a 5 week lock-down till 31-July, which in turn has just become a 9 week-lock until the end of August (at least).

After this morning's State Govt. announcement, I guess I will just have to go back into the garage and polish my bike for the umpteenth time and plan for a ride in September.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 2 week lock-down announced on 23 June turned into a 5 week lock-down till 31-July, which in turn has just become a 9 week-lock until the end of August (at least).

After this morning's State Govt. announcement, I guess I will just have to go back into the garage and polish my bike for the umpteenth time and plan for a ride in September.
On the bright side at least it will be warmer then!

Murphyau

I have come to the conclusion that even if "miracles do happen", it is unlikely that I (as a Sydney-sider) will be able to enjoy the "great open roads" anytime soon, so I tend to agree with ACTCapo.

I fear that my 2021 Butt Lite Grand Tour is already "done & dusted".

Murphyau

The 2021 Butt Lite results have just been published and I am please that my submission achieved "Finisher" status. The organizers did not keep score so participants were either a "Finisher" or a "DNF".

During the Research & Planning phase way back in March, I decided on 2 rules.
  • (1) any bonus had to be more than 100 kms from my home. I mean, a Grand Tour around the neighborhood is just "not legit".
  • (2) all bonuses had to be within NSW due to the willingness of some State Premiers to close their borders at the slightness hint of a sneeze.
This resulted in 5 routes (North Coast, North-West, West, South-West and South Coast) .

The Nth-West loop was completed in April, the Western loop was done in May, then Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep and Oct were spent polishing my bike in a covid-induced "stay at home" travel restriction.

As a Sydney-sider, I was not allowed outside of my LGA, and it was during this time that I relented just a little on Rule (1) and picked up 3 bonuses within 5 kms of my home. I am sure it was not "essential travel" so I classified it "exercise".

When the travel restrictions lifted on Nov-1, I hit the road on Nov-2 and completed the Sth-West loop.

Some bonuses were easy to find (it's almost impossible to hide a Mormon Church), some were out the back of nowhere (George "Barber" Clarke at Boggabri), some were hard to find (Alan Cunningham at Baraba), and some were emotionally moving (Myall Creek Massacre).

All were worth the effort if for no other reason than learning more about Australia's early European history.

I am not sure if there will be another Team Strange Grand Tour in 2022 as I think they seemed to have passed the baton onto the LDX crew, who will run a USA based event, but if the opportunity does come along, I will be " in like Flynn ".

Last edited: