Calendar

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I don't think you understand.

There is no "calendar" as such. The IBA website has a lengthy list of rides that you can do, but you do them yourself, at your own leisure.

The IBA isn't like a race series in that regard, so it's not like you need to schedule yourself in.

Thank you Shawn. I’ll rephrase my question. On the IBA home page (beneath
“Long Distance Riding Tips” and “Ride Certifications” is “2021 Events”. Our club is considering a Saddle Sore in, perhaps, August. If we decide to go forward, how/who do I contact to get the event on that IBA calendar?

Shawn K

Premier Member
My guess would be to talk with @Ira if you want it posted on the IBA website. But those aren't "sanctioned" events per se. They're just links to other groups that are doing long-distance related events (like Hoagy's Heroes - an entirely different group outside of the IBA).

If you don't mind my asking, though, why is this a priority? If it's your club, surely you guys have a communication method for inside the club?

(Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying that maybe there's something I'm not understanding.)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You might want to put your event up HERE as Ridemaster is where a lot of people go look for rides and events. Also the LDRider home page has a calendar too HERE. It could use a little love. But your ride would stand out, since there isn't much there right now.

If you just want to do something with your own club, there is no need for any of this and putting it on the calendar doesn't make it a group event. The IBA isn't doing group events right now because of the pandemic.

You might be able to get a specific route pre-certified with specific pictures to be taken at specific spots along the route to document that each member of your group did the ride. Some hoops need to be jumped through. It may not be currently possible. Endurance Rallies sometimes do this, along with odo check routes to document each rider's correction factor from their odo to actual GPS miles. Typically you create a ~20-30 mile route and ride it, documenting the GPS mileage. Then you send all the other riders out on this same route, (make it a simple one), and you document their starting and ending odometer readings, compare that to your known GPS mileage and you can calculate the correction factor for each rider. With the pre-apprroved route, the GPS mileage is know before hand. Then you can take rider's start and end odometer readings and apply the correction factor for their bike and quickly see if they did the miles or not.

Shawn - Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. You’re cool with me. Our annual event is called the Blue Butt Rally and the first one was in 1994. Our event info is at www.bknv2.org. Our niche distance is between 300-500 miles. Route information is handed out 15 minutes before the start and there is no scoring or tracking the finish order. We’ve occasionally (<10 times) offered routes to riders desiring to do a Saddle Sore. The BBR is open to anyone with a motorcycle or trike and the number of participants is around 60-75. Ive patterned the BBR after Saddle Sore events I’ve ridden over the years (Utah1088 & Cal 24) Regards, Jim IBA #13311.

Thanks Eric! From what I’ve learned, mileages are ultimately verified by the IBA using Google Maps. Is this still the case? Ive always added an additional 40-50 miles just to have a cushion. appreciated the links to Ridemaster and LDRider too.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes, the verification teams use Google Maps and other mapping software to verify rides. That is generally an accepted way to develop a route and have an idea if and when you need to document a 'corner' beyond the DBR every 300-350 miles or less. Your extra mileage is excellent and in the suggested range that the IBA likes to see.

Some observations; You say you are patterning your events after the 1088 and Cal24, but both of those events were endurance rallies, not Saddle Sore events. They were a competitive rally with points accrued by riders choosing a route based upon the bonus options, or collecting bonuses while riding the Main Route provided by the rally. Finishers were ranked by the total of their points, not with any concern over when they arrived at the finish, as long as it was within the 24 hour time window for the rally.

From your Aug 14th event listing:

"The 27th /28th Blue Butt Rally is about map reading and correctly answering questions along the
340 – 410 miles route is the name of the game. It is not a competitive event nor is it a race; one
fantastic ride. There is no scoring, ranking or even a time limit to finish. (Although most riders
typically finish in 8 to 12 hours.)"

I understand this is not for the Saddle Sore version. But if it's not a competitive event, who's checking to see if the questions are correctly answered and why? Especially if there is no scoring, ranking or time limit to finish. Typically this would be done for raffle prizes or extra tickets for such.

I've done rides like yours in the past, and dozens of competitive endurance rallies, including several Utah 1088s. You're just hosting a fun ride and that's great, as well as a solid charity to fund. If you are going to provide a specific route for riders attempting to complete an IBA Saddle Sore, then the riders need to know that the final responsibility is on them for paperwork, receipt collecting and turning it all in to the IBA for a certificate. As well as paying the IBA fees. You could certainly help by having someone not riding the event be on hand to witness odometers at the start and finish, offering a convenience for the riders. Easier at the start. Some riders may need to find their own finish odo witness unless staff will be waiting for all riders to come in. Which sucks when that guy that never calls when he drops out is involved.

Shawn K

Premier Member
Ahh, okay. You have an annual event. Now I get it.

At first, I thought you were talking about you and some riding buddies wanting to get together on "X" date and do a long-distance ride, and that you thought you needed to get some sort of blessing or sanction. That's why I was confused.

I checked out your website. Looks like a neat event!

Yes, the verification teams use Google Maps and other mapping software to verify rides. That is generally an accepted way to develop a route and have an idea if and when you need to document a 'corner' beyond the DBR every 300-350 miles or less. Your extra mileage is excellent and in the suggested range that the IBA likes to see.

Some observations; You say you are patterning your events after the 1088 and Cal24, but both of those events were endurance rallies, not Saddle Sore events. They were a competitive rally with points accrued by riders choosing a route based upon the bonus options, or collecting bonuses while riding the Main Route provided by the rally. Finishers were ranked by the total of their points, not with any concern over when they arrived at the finish, as long as it was within the 24 hour time window for the rally.

From your Aug 14th event listing:

"The 27th /28th Blue Butt Rally is about map reading and correctly answering questions along the
340 – 410 miles route is the name of the game. It is not a competitive event nor is it a race; one
fantastic ride. There is no scoring, ranking or even a time limit to finish. (Although most riders
typically finish in 8 to 12 hours.)"

I understand this is not for the Saddle Sore version. But if it's not a competitive event, who's checking to see if the questions are correctly answered and why? Especially if there is no scoring, ranking or time limit to finish. Typically this would be done for raffle prizes or extra tickets for such.

I've done rides like yours in the past, and dozens of competitive endurance rallies, including several Utah 1088s. You're just hosting a fun ride and that's great, as well as a solid charity to fund. If you are going to provide a specific route for riders attempting to complete an IBA Saddle Sore, then the riders need to know that the final responsibility is on them for paperwork, receipt collecting and turning it all in to the IBA for a certificate. As well as paying the IBA fees. You could certainly help by having someone not riding the event be on hand to witness odometers at the start and finish, offering a convenience for the riders. Easier at the start. Some riders may need to find their own finish odo witness unless staff will be waiting for all riders to come in. Which sucks when that guy that never calls when he drops out is involved.
Ahh, okay. You have an annual event. Now I get it.

At first, I thought you were talking about you and some riding buddies wanting to get together on "X" date and do a long-distance ride, and that you thought you needed to get some sort of blessing or sanction. That's why I was confused.

I checked out your website. Looks like a neat event!

Your points are well taken. The endurance rallies are indeed another breed. Perhaps a sub-species an a biologist might say. As a wise, all knowing and all seeing rally master I don’t look too closely at paperwork at the end of the event. Denying a BBR rider his finishers plaque for whatever reason is never done. Of course, I get the last word by putting his name plate on upside down on the plaque. Steve Chalmers would be proud. As to the IBA requirements, riders will be fully informed of what the IBA requires in terms of documentation and fees. Appreciate your and Shawn’s comments and wisdom.