California In State SS1K

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
In the event you didn't know this, there actually isn't anything (easy) to mark your corner at "Death Valley Junction".

Stovepipe Wells has the store, but the gas station at Furnace Creek has easier-to-get fuel. Only two pumps at Stovepipe, and they're *always* being used, Furnace Creek has four two-headed pumps.

That's a *lot* of desert riding; I've been thru much of it myself. Have a read of Tim Masterson's ride he did last year in DVNP; worth the time!

Linky: http://hardtxrider.blogspot.com/2017/08/riding-on-suns-anvil.html

AndyBlila

Premier Member
In the event you didn't know this, there actually isn't anything (easy) to mark your corner at "Death Valley Junction".

Stovepipe Wells has the store, but the gas station at Furnace Creek has easier-to-get fuel. Only two pumps at Stovepipe, and they're *always* being used, Furnace Creek has four two-headed pumps.

That's a *lot* of desert riding; I've been thru much of it myself. Have a read of Tim Masterson's ride he did last year in DVNP; worth the time!

Linky: http://hardtxrider.blogspot.com/2017/08/riding-on-suns-anvil.html
I am hoping Spotwalla would suffice?

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I will scout the area as I will be traveling back on the 127 in a couple weeks. It will definitely be hot. Might end up pushing my planned stop in Shoshone and continue home. Will be a game day audible.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
No, I meant to say nothing EASY there at all... The Amargosa Cafe is open F, Sa, Su & Mo from 8a to 3p, according to Google.

That's it. No gas, no nothin'!

If it was my ride, a Spotwalla mark, along with a good time-stamped photo of your bike (and maybe even you as well) in front of the Opera House would have to be sufficient...

Luck to ya!

AndyBlila

Premier Member
Looks good. I assume you would ride it clockwise to get through LA as early as possible?
I am thinking about running CCW to avoid the heat in the desert. I don’t think there will be much traffic on the outskirts of LA around 6-7 PM. What do you think? Also, I’m not looking forward to the mountains again. The wind at the end of a ride is brutal!

Still hot; but not Mojave/Needles hot. I get to experience Needles tomorrow. Expecting 115+F when I get there. Will definitely be a little uncomfortable in the tent. Overnight low is expected to drop to 85F. At least I won't need to start out Wednesday morning wearing heated gear. :)

AndyBlila

Premier Member
Still hot; but not Mojave/Needles hot. I get to experience Needles tomorrow. Expecting 115+F when I get there. Will definitely be a little uncomfortable in the tent. Overnight low is expected to drop to 85F. At least I won't need to start out Wednesday morning wearing heated gear. :)
I’ll be watching. Ride safe. We need to have that beer and debrief when you get back.

I have a friend (paramedic) and another (fireman / EMT) who do an iron butt regularly in Death Valley in late July on the hottest day of the year... It is kept under covers since the highway patrol worries about it and want to monitor it (so they are kept in the dark about it and it's date). I can hook you up with them if you like!

Hopefully we can get a ride report where they share the plan, strategy and gear dealing with high heat. Tim Masterson created a route and new themed Death Valley Insanity 1,000 ride last year he completed. Interesting details on evaporative cooling.