Can a Bun Burner Gold Be completed on a Stock 2018+ Goldwing?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if a ride like a SS Gold or Bun Burner Golds have ever been completed on a bike with a stock gas tank like the 2018+ goldwing? Looking at the mileage on google maps it appears that all the ~1500+ mile routes take around ~24hrs to complete. My last SS1000 took at 8 stops, and I probably took at least 10 minutes average at each stop. I can easily do a SS1000 in ~18hrs (which is inline with google maps estimation). But does a BB Gold require a larger aftermarket tank?

Thanks!
-Cosmic665

2021 Goldwing
2009 Vmax

I got one of the first 2018 Gold Wing's from Honda Russellville and I rode a BBG home right off the showroom floor with no aux tank or really any other accessories. See photos below.

View attachment 7094
View attachment 7095
NICE! It can be done! How many stops did you make? I just picked up a 2021 (same bike as yours except metallic black). I'm planning a to do a Bun Burner Gold next month, but I'm still trying to figure out the logistics.

CB650F

Premier Member
I did a BBG on a Street Triple with the stock tank. Fill ups were about every 125ish miles. Total time was right at 22 hours and 45 minutes. 1552 miles certified, so I probably could have stopped at around 22 hours and still made the mileage. I was fortunate enough to have 85 mph interstates to use, so I made good time, but wasn't in danger of a performance award. I even took a lunch break to rest for a few minutes and make a few phone calls in the middle of the ride. Had I not taken the break, and stopped closer to 1500 miles, I'd probably have done it in close to 21.5 hours.

I bet you can do a BBG with any mechanically sound bike that is capable of 70+ mph sustained speeds. A BBG isn't a cake walk, but it's not as hard as it might seem. For a BBG, you only need to average 62.5 MPH for 24 hours. If you are averaging 75 on the road, and 15 minutes per stop, you can make it with a stop every 100 miles. I wouldn't recommend cutting it that close, but you can do it. I don't think a Honda Grom can sustain the speeds required, but the CBR300R can do it as long as it's not my fat butt trying to pilot it. A Goldwing of any year that is still mechanically sound can easily handle that task.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I rode a BBG on a Kawasaki Ninja 300 with a 17litre (4.5USgal) tank and a 29kw (39HP) engine. I carried 10L of fuel in a jerry can and had a pair of 25W spot up front to help the 35W headlight.

The Ninja could easily maintain speed, but the hard thing in my part of Oz is that the maximum speed limit is only 110km/h (68mph), so holding an overall average of 105km/h is a tight squeeze.

A stock Goldwing is absolutely capable of a BBG. Enjoy the ride.

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
I can proudly brag that yes they both can quite easily, just did a SSGold last week for my birthday. Did 2042 gps in 30 hrs on a1998 wing. I kept a spare 2 gallons in a saddlebag to be safe. I did run out once, topped off and took off on my first tank to find out my limit.

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
I did a BBG on a Street Triple with the stock tank. Fill ups were about every 125ish miles. Total time was right at 22 hours and 45 minutes. 1552 miles certified, so I probably could have stopped at around 22 hours and still made the mileage. I was fortunate enough to have 85 mph interstates to use, so I made good time.
Where was these 85 mph interstates only stretch I've been able to verify is some short little section in the middle of Texas, but several people have told me in Utah and Oklahoma there was also 85 mph

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member

CB650F

Premier Member
Where was these 85 mph interstates only stretch I've been able to verify is some short little section in the middle of Texas, but several people have told me in Utah and Oklahoma there was also 85 mph
Texas is where I was. I can't verify anything in Utah or Oklahoma. There are some wide open spaces in Oklahoma, so I wouldn't be surprised to find 85 there. IIRC there is a toll road through an empty stretch of land, so might be there. I-10 over in West Texas is a good road for high speeds. There is nothing between San Antonio and El Paso, so at 85, you'd barely keep up with traffic. Surprisingly, the Florida Turnpike is pretty good for high speeds as well. It's a 70 mph speed limit, but 70 was dangerously slow last time I was there. I was 80ish and people were flying past me. I-90 up in South Dakota is also good for high speeds. Just be sure to slow down around Rapid City. It's a 65 through the city (maybe 60, I'm not sure) and I frequently see cops. Rarely see someone pulled over so I don't think they are too strict about the posted limits.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Keep in mind that at least in UT, the 80 mph stretches are much more strictly enforced than the slower speed stretches. Or certainly were a few years ago when I lived there.

Texas is where I was. I can't verify anything in Utah or Oklahoma. There are some wide open spaces in Oklahoma, so I wouldn't be surprised to find 85 there. IIRC there is a toll road through an empty stretch of land, so might be there. I-10 over in West Texas is a good road for high speeds. There is nothing between San Antonio and El Paso, so at 85, you'd barely keep up with traffic. Surprisingly, the Florida Turnpike is pretty good for high speeds as well. It's a 70 mph speed limit, but 70 was dangerously slow last time I was there. I was 80ish and people were flying past me. I-90 up in South Dakota is also good for high speeds. Just be sure to slow down around Rapid City. It's a 65 through the city (maybe 60, I'm not sure) and I frequently see cops. Rarely see someone pulled over so I don't think they are too strict about the posted limits.
My Experience here in the Pacific Northwest, and the West Coast:

Washington:
*Western Washington speed limit is 60mph. People don't know how to drive here! I-5 From Centralia to Everett 75-80mph on a motorcycle in HOV the cops don't usually mess with you too much.

*Rest of the freeways.. I-90 the speed limit is 70, you can do as much as 80-85mph on a bike fine.

Oregon:
*The most you can "get away with" is ~75mph without problems!

California:
70mph on most major Freeways...
~90mph in reality. My kinda state!

Idaho:
75mph on most major Freeways...
~90mph in reality.

Montana:
~90mph in reality.

Utah:
~85-90mph in reality.

Colorado:
~85-90mph in reality.

Nevada:
70-75mph on most major Freeways...
~80-85mph in reality.

Arizona:
~85-90mph in reality.

I don't know much about the east coast, but I love the golf coast and Florida. You gotta watch those Florida downpours though! Suddenly dropping from ~85mph all the way down to 35mph with hazard lights is a bit scary for the uninitiated. I did it once in a convertible 6 years ago. I'm not sure I'm up for it yet on the Goldwing. I would say the two worse states to drive in are North Carolina & Western Washington state. That is of course aside from any major city like new york city for example.

I bet Oregon is probably the toughest state to do a BBG in. I would like to see the map used for that state. Washington state and Idaho would be easy.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The average speed for a BBG is 62.5 mph. I lived in OR for 45 years. (and had the tickets to prove it) It's possible, you just really need an aux tank and to manage your stopped time well. If I can do a Scooter SS1K Gold in 22 hours, I'm pretty sure I could do a BBG in 24 on a motorcycle in OR. I've done a few BBGs, but in other states. NV was pretty strait forward. I did one that touched UT, NV, ID, WY, NE & CO. I'm pretty sure I waved to the only WY Trooper on duty, going the other way, then waved to him again, when returning and he was going the other way. I was going the speed of the wind... and if you've ever ridden in WY, you know what that can be like. ;)

Here you go, Oregon BBG LINK I've ridden those roads a lot and it's do-able, but no slack.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if a ride like a SS Gold or Bun Burner Golds have ever been completed on a bike with a stock gas tank like the 2018+ goldwing? Looking at the mileage on google maps it appears that all the ~1500+ mile routes take around ~24hrs to complete. My last SS1000 took at 8 stops, and I probably took at least 10 minutes average at each stop. I can easily do a SS1000 in ~18hrs (which is inline with google maps estimation). But does a BB Gold require a larger aftermarket tank?

Thanks!
-Cosmic665

2021 Goldwing
2009 Vmax
Hey Cosmic,
While not exactly the bike you were asking about I was able to finish a BBG on a 2007 gl1800 with a stock gas tank. It just happened to be on the summer solstice last year. We did 11 gas stops, not counting the last one to get the finish time receipt. We went from Spokane, Wa to Gillette, Wy. and back to Spokane.

Tep_52

Premier Member
Here on the east coast I live in Delaware.
55-65 on highways
70-80 in reality depending on traffic

Maryland
6o-70
I usually don't run over 75 if you can get to that speed

Virginia
65-70
Do not break 80 instant reckless driving charges

North Carolina
65-70
75-85 in reality

South Carolina
65-70
75-85 in reality
Overall I find that while we seem to have a large police presence in the north east I can generally run 10 to 15 over without problems

AwDang

Here on the east coast I live in Delaware.
55-65 on highways
70-80 in reality depending on traffic

Maryland
6o-70
I usually don't run over 75 if you can get to that speed

Virginia
65-70
Do not break 80 instant reckless driving charges

North Carolina
65-70
75-85 in reality

South Carolina
65-70
75-85 in reality
Overall I find that while we seem to have a large police presence in the north east I can generally run 10 to 15 over without problems
VA updated their reckless driving thresholds in 2020.
It’s now PSL+20 or 85mph
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/46.2-862