Centreline24 validity

cjmckay

Premier Member
So let's just assume the LD riding bug has bitten and there are google maps heading in all sorts of directions and crazy things are being planned out.... Is the Centreline 24 still a valid (certifiable) option with the reintroduction of 130kph limits in NT? I'm also interested in the extent that other certifications could be nested within the Centreline ride - notably SS1600K, SS2000K, BB2500K, BBS2500K, BBG2500K, and could you nest the Centreline within a SS3000K?

Ed.

Premier Member
I'm pretty sure the centreline was established when the majority of the NT was 130 (I'm not sure if there is still a couple of hundred km just north of Alice that is still open...I have a vague memory the labour gov killed it off when they got in at some point??)
So yes, as far as I know the centreline 24 is still a thing.

As far as nesting, I'm not an authority as I am firmly in the "1 ride, 1 certificate " camp. That said, the rule seems to be: if, by definition, you have to complete a smaller ride to achieve the bigger one then it can't be nested. eg you can't nest an SS1600K in an SS2000K or a BBG, however it is possible to achieve a BB2500K(in 36) without having to do an SS1600K in the process. So that should be OK.

With that in mind, it is logically possible to nest a centreline within an SS3000K(either STD or gold)

I'm going to stop now because all this talk of nesting is making me feel like a cheap certificate whore.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
It s an interesting thought cjmckay.
Like Ed, I'm sure this ride existed when the 130km was in place.
Google has the trip from Port Augusta to Smith Street Darwin at 27 hours neat at 2722km.
It would take very very good stop time management and consideration of the 560km maximum distance between receipts (DBR).
Though a case can be presented in your ride log for a longer distance prior to lodgement with IBA it would be interesting to see how this condition
now may effect this particular ride.
The 560km maximum came in during May of 2022. That's like mid covid. I'm not sure anyone has done a Centreline 24 in the last few Covid years.
Some one put their hand up if they have please.
Interesting thought though.

cjmckay

Premier Member
From what I can gather - the 24 was set up prior to the 130kph zone being introduced (I believe it is only a 300km stretch at it is). Without them, I'm sure the 24 was valid. With them, I'd hate to 'push the envelope' and then get done for breaching:
(a) We do not certify rides where the maximum speed limit is too low to support the average speed necessary to complete the ride within the time limit., or
(b) It does not condone nor will it tolerate unsafe activities such as excessive speed, and
(c) For these purposes, the IBA will consider as an admission of violating this policy any public statements made by the participant that describe participation in unsafe activities during a ride subject to certification.

So, I'm wondering the extent of 'discretion' used by the reviewers.

As for when - I'm looking at a while off - timing for temperature and rain will be critical. The original 'thought bubble' was to do a 36 up from Pt Augusta to Darwin to work out how to do the 24 on the way back after a break and probably getting the bike serviced in Darwin (given I've got to get from Sydney to Pt Augusta in the first place).

Ed.

Premier Member
Nope, according to Google davo did the first centreline in April 07. The 130 limit on the Stuart hwy had been brought in in January of that year.

You have about 1790km within the NT. If you can maintain a ~120 OA , then that leaves 9hrs for the remaining 930odd km.

I can't remember the exact details but I think Davo made it with just over 20min to spare. it has definitely been done - and certified - by others since then.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have had 3 attempts at the Centreline 24.

The first one was with open speed limit and no fuel cell which I finished 20 minutes late.

The second attempt was with a fuel cell and 130 limit and finished with 20 minutes to spare.

The third attempt was during COVID and finished with 30 minutes to spare.

All were verified with no issues.

Time off the bike was for fuel only with 5 planned 5 minute stops.

I always left Pt. Augusta around 1030 pm which would get me into the N.T. as the sun was rising which helps to take advantage of the 130 limits during the day time.
The problem with look leaving at that time is there is no fuel between P.A. and Coober Pedy (550km) though this might have changed as I heard Glendambo may have 24hr card option now.

Good luck with your planning attempt.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Nope, according to Google davo did the first centreline in April 07. The 130 limit on the Stuart hwy had been brought in in January of that year.

You have about 1790km within the NT. If you can maintain a ~120 OA , then that leaves 9hrs for the remaining 930odd km.

I can't remember the exact details but I think Davo made it with just over 20min to spare. it has definitely been done - and certified - by others since then.
There is an assumption there that the whole 1790km within the NT is 130kph. My understanding (from far away) was that only 300km was at that limit and the rest was at 110kph.

@jeffrey gebler - Thanks for the insights. I'm assuming the 3rd attempt utilised a fuel cell as well.

Roadbandit

There is an assumption there that the whole 1790km within the NT is 130kph. My understanding (from far away) was that only 300km was at that limit and the rest was at 110kph.
It's 110kph 30km either side of Alice Springs. 130kph for the rest until about 30km from Darwin.
Usual speed limits near towns.
The open speed limit from 30km north of Alice to Ti Tree is gone :-(

Hope that helps

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for your input Jeff regards that Covid period.
The other info paints a pretty fair picture of the circumstance that a Centerline 24 window really is for a rider taking on the challenge.
Gday RB.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
The NT section is like a fat ss1600 distance wise. A days ride for many ...but then the distance to Port Augusta . Hmm that's a hole other thing.

Good idea doing a transport in a 36 hour run north to suss things out cjmckay.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Thank you to all the good people that have responded. Has given me plenty of food for thought. I guess I'm now in the market for a fuel cell...