Certification approval : yes another one of these

Just curious on current timeframes. Submitted application on 3/14/21 via email. Just waiting for the approval. Are approvals still taking 12-16 weeks for US rides. Thanks and ride safe.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Unofficial response...

With as often as that response has been given (3 - 4 months...) over the last year, my suspicion would be - yes.

Now, a little gathering is going to take place in just a few weeks that will involve many of the volunteers that the IBA has to run a little gathering called the Iron Butt Rally.

As has been the case in most other years that the Rally has run, things may be even a bit slower for a chunk of the summer, as those volunteers are doing other things.

My suggestion - patience, grasshopper.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just curious on current timeframes. Submitted application on 3/14/21 via email. Just waiting for the approval. Are approvals still taking 12-16 weeks for US rides. Thanks and ride safe.
Did you get the canned response that your submission was received? Did you opt to pay in advance, or wait until receiving notice that the ride was verified?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did get the email that it was received. I elected to pay once approved vs pre-paid.
A sound choice. :) I suspect you are on track, if on the outside of the normal window. Times fluctuate based on submissions as well as staff load. Because the Iron Butt Rally starts in 9 days, there may be a reduction in force of verification teams during this period, as well staff focused on the rally instead of certifications.

CB650F

Premier Member
You should also take into account that 2020 was a pretty bad year for long distance riding. Now that things are returning to normal here in the states, many of us are getting out and doing the riding we missed last year. The stack of certs waiting approval is likely much bigger than usual. High work load + low worker availability = long wait times for approval. I don't expect many certs to get approved for the next few weeks. You got the canned response, so your application is the stack somewhere. It will get there.

David Hay

Premier Member
I'm still waiting for approval on two rides I submitted in August 2020, the Pressed Penny Tour and National Parks Tour Silver. I sent them with tracking numbers, so I know they were received. No response, and the attached checks have never been cashed. I couldn't send them electronically due to the amount of photos required for documentation. I've received 4 certifications for rides submitted electronically since then, via the Premier Member portal. No wonder newbies get frustrated.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I've asked Mike to look into them.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I'm still waiting for approval on two rides I submitted in August 2020, the Pressed Penny Tour and National Parks Tour Silver. I sent them with tracking numbers, so I know they were received. No response, and the attached checks have never been cashed. I couldn't send them electronically due to the amount of photos required for documentation. I've received 4 certifications for rides submitted electronically since then, via the Premier Member portal. No wonder newbies get frustrated.
That sucks. I’m trying to patiently wait. Hoping soon.

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What I'm finding is that, for premier members, straight SS1000 rides get approved pretty quickly. Special rides take longer for approval. I emailed in documentation for a straight saddle sore 1000 ride I did last weekend to the Tail of the Dragon, and according to the Premier Portal, it's already been approved and the status is "Drafted Cert". The rides I did the weekend before last and the weekend before that are still in the "Sent for Approval" stage but they were special rides. One was the Ice Cream Insanity ride 3 weeks ago and the other was a Missouri in-state SS1000. BTW I did receive an email from Mike asking for a better picture of me eating ice cream at one of the stops, so I'm assuming the Ice Cream Insanity ride is approved but the status hasn't changed in the portal.

Am I reading this correctly, do special or theme rides take longer for approval than straight SS1000s? Do special or theme rides go to a different group for review?