Cheap security

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
I know bike security is expensive, alarms, trackers, chains, locks and vicious dogs.
Over the last week a couple of bikes were brought in after they were stolen and recovered.
Both bikes were recovered with in an hour, why they had a Apple tracker.
They are cheap and don't need a contract.

Capt Sisko

One problem with AirTags is that Apple have put in an anti-stalking warning. If parted from it's paired phone for too long and in constant range of another phone, it'll both bleep and sent a message to the victim's phone to let the person know that they've got unauthorised tag tracking them. As far as I know you can't disable the feature and whilst it only used to work Apple to Apple, I understand Android are issuing an update to make their phones compatible.

Now this anti-stalking warning is both good and bad. Good in that the thieves may think, sod this, I'll just dump the bike, and whilst not perfect, you've at least got a heads up on where your bike roughly is; Bad in that the bleeping will guide them to exactly where the AirTag is hidden! There are however many videos on Google telling you how to remove the built in speaker.

Bottom line, despite their limited effectiveness, for the modest outlay involved I've got one hidden inside the RT. Okay, if I can hide it, the criminals can find it, but that's going to involve removing an awful lot of tupawear and if the cons are that keen the bike's probably been stolen to order and I'll never see it again anyway. If it's just been nicked by the local scrots, maybe it'll help.

Last edited:
One problem with AirTags is that Apple have put in an anti-stalking warning. If parted from it's paired phone for too long and in constant range of another phone, it'll both bleep and sent a message to the victim's phone to let the person know that they've got unauthorised tag tracking them. As far as I know you can't disable the feature and whilst it only used to work Apple to Apple, I understand Android are issuing an update to make their phones compatible.

Now this anti-stalking warning is both good and bad. Good in that the thieves may think, sod this, I'll just dump the bike, and whilst not perfect, you've at least got a heads up on where your bike roughly is; Bad in that the bleeping will guide them to exactly where the AirTag is hidden! There are however many videos on Google telling you how to remove the built in speaker.

Bottom line, despite their limited effectiveness, for the modest outlay involved I've got one hidden inside the RT. Okay, if I can hide it, the criminals can find it, but that's going to involve removing an awful lot of tupawear and if the cons are that keen the bike's probably been stolen to order and I'll never see it again anyway. If it's just been nicked by the local scrots, maybe it'll help.
====

The AirTags will only advise the thief between 18 and 24 hours after pinching it. That's the window of opportunity you have as the victim to make it known to the police etc of where the bike is. You can also set up a notification if the bike moves too far from where you left it. Hiding the AirTag is a good move. In regards to others questions about battery life, I think you'll get at least 12 months as someone else mentioned. I just sent my Tenere across to, and back from the UK via ship and it started yelling for a new battery after 8 months. That's after being a metal container for nearly 5 months all up and the poor old AirTag would have been pumping out full power in the everlasting quest to find someones Apple device (not many going through the Suez Canal I suspect on a ship).