Coast to Coast

Hello folks, got a question for the experts.
I have a good friend for the last 30 years who lives in Monroe CT and I was thinking to ride across the continent this Summer to visit him and after ride back across Canada. Would that count if I start in Vancouver BC and ride to Monroe CT / Bridgeport? Think it should be fine but better ask the experts. If anyone did a ride, Seattle - New York I'll take any advice. This ride would be something I never done before but worth to try it.
Thx in advance, ride safe & have fun!
Cheers

Looks like a nice challenge. I am sure you looked at this already but for others, google maps puts the ride time at 45 hours, 3051 miles.

Ride Safe,

-Mark

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Charley Brown - That is a bit over 3000 miles. The rules for the 50CC ride are HERE.

As a comparison, Google Maps shows that taking 45 hours. You only have 50 hours, so leaving yourself only 5 hours for all your gas stops, rest stops and unknowns is cutting it too tight for most riders. If you haven't already done a BBG or better, back to back BBG rides, I suspect this would not be very fun for you.

In terms of Vancouver, B.C. as a start location, the 50CC ride is implied to be a US ride. It would simplify things if your start location was in the US. I suggest riding South across the border and getting your start receipt in Blaine, WA at the Shell located at 360 D St, Blaine, WA 98230.

That aside, you can start and finish in the US cities of your choice. Bridgeport would work fine, imho.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
Raises an interesting question. The 50CC page states Ride one way from the Atlantic to Pacific Oceans (or reverse). So is the Strait of Georgia or Puget Sound considered "The Pacific Ocean"?

I am of the same mind as Eric but slightly different. Drop down to the Pacific Washington coast and start from there, maybe somewhere like Cohassett Beach. Still puts you at 3000 miles give or take and qualifies you for 50CC Gold if completed. "Ride one way from Pacific Ocean to Atlantic Ocean (or reverse) BUT ride must be 2,900 miles or greater."

It will be a serious challenge for sure.
Lets say 3009 miles from Chassett Beach to Bridgeport.
Range of 250 miles on you bike.
Average moving speed of 65MPH
Max of 15 minutes per stop
12 stops for 3 hours + 46.3 moving hours = 49.3 hours leaving you no time to stop and sleep or take breaks longer than 15 minutes.

If we ramp your moving average speed up to 70mph it only improves slightly to 46 total hours.
If we drop your stops to 10 minute max (aggressive in my opinion) it is 45 total hours.

If you can get through 50 hours with a 3 hours worth of power naps you are a stronger man than I.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From a purist point of view, absolutely get sand/water on both coasts. I suppose an argument could be made that the Strait of Juan de Fuca isn't the Pacific ocean. :confused: There is a gas station 0.7 miles from the Schafer Island Beach Approach, (which has public parking & beach access), 3120 Schafer Island Beach App, Westport, WA 98595

Thanks for the info guys, and that's what I thought that northern part of USA would be way more difficult to finish on time, compared with San Diego/Jacksonville run, let's say. When I think how crazy traffic can be in Seattle I can only imagine Chicago and NY and that would be by the end of the ride where everyone is tired, and a place where is no room for mistakes and all you need is focus and concertation, so safety first. Anyhow, if I decide to go on 2 wheels a couple days ride is fine as well.
Cheers

Gabe's Law

@Charley Brown - That is a bit over 3000 miles. The rules for the 50CC ride are HERE.

As a comparison, Google Maps shows that taking 45 hours. You only have 50 hours, so leaving yourself only 5 hours for all your gas stops, rest stops and unknowns is cutting it too tight for most riders. If you haven't already done a BBG or better, back to back BBG rides, I suspect this would not be very fun for you.

In terms of Vancouver, B.C. as a start location, the 50CC ride is implied to be a US ride. It would simplify things if your start location was in the US. I suggest riding South across the border and getting your start receipt in Blaine, WA at the Shell located at 360 D St, Blaine, WA 98230.

That aside, you can start and finish in the US cities of your choice. Bridgeport would work fine, imho.
If he starts in BC canada maybe he should consider the Border-to-border and head south the Mexico! Just throwing in my $200 Mexican pesos is all = $0.02

Gabe's Law

If you are leaving Canada to Texas you might as well get your cert for the above mentioned challenge! Go to the Big texas meet up and then decide on the other run like the 50cc

Gabe's Law

Ya, that would be also interesting option as well, never been to Texas. For now, I'm more focused on Monroe CT how to get there.
Connecticut?!?!?!?!?! That place is worse than North Korea! I am glad my dad shipped me off to Military School in South Florida for ten yrs. I returned to CT and hated the elitist attitudes and in 1986 moved BACK to Florida and i have lived in Shangri-La ever since :)

What brings you to CT?????

image_d8efc9f2-b7a2-43ed-8be7-73ade2225c5520230212_152454.jpg

Gabe's Law

Never mind.................. I had a senior moment where I crossed two threads. Another brother wanted to go to Big TX Rally and I thought you were going to that. I re-read the thread and i am up to date on all the gossip. Just ignore my autism post above ;)