Cockpit Layouts, lets see 'em!

New member here.
I like that the Zumo XT scrolls the next up screen for food lodging and fuel etc..
I like that Apple carplay can take SIRI instructions on the fly, but in terms of information presented I find it weak by comparison.
IMG_1637 2 copy.jpg

Being old isn't too bad, getting here has hurt somewhat..... but hey I can still ride my bike!
Yeah, getting here involved too many broken bones / compound fractures and other injuries... Never figured I was going to live this long and I'm most definitely paying for it every day now... I was basically crawling off of my bike at each gas stop on the last half of the SS-1000 I did last week... Couldn't stand on one leg to pull the other leg over the bike... My knees are shot...

Ooops... Time to take my afternoon nap... ;)

Hard core! Well, for a squid anyway. :):)

Road King Police, very cool.
Turns out that "certified" speedometer / odometer is pretty accurate... Assuming "accuracy" is determined by whether it agrees with Google Maps. It came up with 1033.7 miles for the trip whereas Google Maps said 1040... About 0.6% lower...

Whereas most motorcycle manufacturers set their speedometers to register slightly lower than the true speed (thus you are less likely to get a ticket), on the FLHP-I, it is very slightly the other way... I guess that's so that if the cop is giving you a ticket based on his speedometer, you would be going more than what he indicated... Still, even with that, you would have to be going over 166 mph before it even made 1 mph difference... If you're going 166 mph, you definitely don't need to worry about that Harley writing you a ticket based on his speedometer... From what I understand, the bike tops out at around 104 mph with the windshield... Of course, the speedometer doesn't go that high anyway...

I've ordered a couple of different cell phone mounts off of eBay to try before my next long ride... I've yet to find a cell phone mount that I would truly trust on a motorcycle... Hell, most of them I don't even trust in my Jeep on bumpy *roads*... :(

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
... I've yet to find a cell phone mount that I would truly trust on a motorcycle... Hell, most of them I don't even trust in my Jeep on bumpy *roads*... :(
I had a Ram X-Grip the was great for about 8,000 miles then one bump in NJ and it wasn't. I went to a MOB Amour https://arayos-mob-armor.odoo.com/shop/mob-mount-switch-marball-large-128753?category=20#attr= I double back taped a wireless charging pad to it https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Cha...efix=slim+wireless+,aps,95&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Put it in lock it with the screw knob nice and secure. Been good for two years+

That's the problem with all the mounts -- they're really secure up until the point where they aren't and your phone gets dropped and crushed when the car behind you runs over it... :(

I'm pretty sure I could design a holder that would be quite secure... If might not be as "stylish" or as lightweight as what is on the commercial market, but it would be robust... Anything worth engineering is worth OVER-engineering... Basically, I would want something kind of like this, but two threaded rods on the sides and two threaded rods on the top... Unfortunately, I do not have a milling machine (or a TIG welder)...
1667105890439.png

EDITED 2022-11-08 05:32 -- I ordered this cell phone mount because it was pretty cheap and I wanted to examine it for some ideas. The fingers that hold the phone are not long enough if you have a robust case on the phone. As I suspected even before buying it, the fact that the screw is only on one of the posts and the other is just a guide rod means that one set of fingers is going to be tighter than the other. If your phone has a rounded back, it is going to be less secure. It MIGHT be possible to adapt it so that the cell phone was being held by a more secure holder that was custom built for the cell phone in question and then that had a mounting surface that would work perfectly with this holder. I'll end up using it to attach a spare cell phone to a vertical post in a multiple monitor stand.

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
RAM X-Grip is garbage. Don't even bother with it. I've used that and the Finger Grip, and neither was suitable for motorcycle use once you hit any sort of uneven road surface. And by "uneven", I mean even rough concrete. I've had my phone fly right out of both.

RAM-Mount Quick-Grip XL is the way to go. Spring loaded fingers, secured on all 4 sides when set up properly. Your phone won't go anywhere.

Spoken after 60,000 miles of use.

Screenshot_20221030-083821_Chrome.jpg

That's the problem with all the mounts -- they're really secure up until the point where they aren't and your phone gets dropped and crushed when the car behind you runs over it... :(

I'm pretty sure I could design a holder that would be quite secure... If might not be as "stylish" or as lightweight as what is on the commercial market, but it would be robust... Anything worth engineering is worth OVER-engineering... Basically, I would want something kind of like this, but two threaded rods on the sides and two threaded rods on the top... Unfortunately, I do not have a milling machine...
View attachment 9198
I use a Quadlock and while it hasn't dropped my phone yet I still keep it tethered after a couple of bad experiences looking for phones that fell off of riding buddies bikes (using Ram mounts). Tethers can be found on Amazon for cheap. They're also handy in a Kayak.

AirbusFlieger

Turns out that "certified" speedometer / odometer is pretty accurate... Assuming "accuracy" is determined by whether it agrees with Google Maps. It came up with 1033.7 miles for the trip whereas Google Maps said 1040... About 0.6% lower...

Whereas most motorcycle manufacturers set their speedometers to register slightly lower than the true speed (thus you are less likely to get a ticket), on the FLHP-I, it is very slightly the other way... I guess that's so that if the cop is giving you a ticket based on his speedometer, you would be going more than what he indicated... Still, even with that, you would have to be going over 166 mph before it even made 1 mph difference... If you're going 166 mph, you definitely don't need to worry about that Harley writing you a ticket based on his speedometer... From what I understand, the bike tops out at around 104 mph with the windshield... Of course, the speedometer doesn't go that high anyway...

I've ordered a couple of different cell phone mounts off of eBay to try before my next long ride... I've yet to find a cell phone mount that I would truly trust on a motorcycle... Hell, most of them I don't even trust in my Jeep on bumpy *roads*... :(
I've had excellent and reliable results using QuadLock.

I have a wireless charging head and anti-vibe mount hard-wired on my '03 Harley Deuce. When the phone is not mounted it is very low profile.

Over 3000 miles and it works great.

I used an X-Grip during the 2021 IBR. While it worked to keep my phone viewable, removing and replacing the phone in the mount is tedious and time consuming. I have since gone to the Quick-gripXL and really like it's easy on-easy off functionality.

I am considering a Quadlock but need to save up the $$$.

I saw this one tripod adapter for a cell phone on eBay that looks the design could be adapted as a sturdy vehicle mount (if it was made from metal, which it is not). If you took 2 of them and mounted them side by side so that the phone would be in landscape orientation (the heads are rotatable), it gets part way there towards the design I was thinking about. I ended up ordering 2 of them to play around with for a mount that I was also wanting in my Jeep. Plus, I figure a tripod mount would be useful to have anyway...

One of the problems with phones these days is that they are extending the screen all the way to the edge of the case, so any holder or case for the phone runs the risk of not being able to grip it well without also preventing you from having full access to the entire screen.
1667148535796.png

EDITED 2022-11-08 05:34 -- I received the pair of the above tripod mounts and experimented with them a bit. They do have a deep enough gripping surface to work with the heavy protective case that I have on my primary phone. I connected one of the mounts to a suction cup to tripod screw (1/4"-20) mount in a car and it worked well enough in that situation. It is also possible to put one on each end of my phone and it does not interfere with the buttons. When configured this way, it makes a desktop stand for a phone although it is lacking in tilt adjustment. It would be very easy to create a wooden base to mount this to since it only needs a standard 1/4"-20 bolt to screw into it. That would allow you to use a single mount and it be freestanding. My wife often has her cell phone playing a YouTube channel when she is cooking or washing dishes, usually propped up in some odd way. I think I'll use one of these to make a mount for the phone on a shelf behind the sink for her. I paid $7.09 total for 2 of them, so about $3.55 each. Definitely worth having even if I don't use them to mount a phone to a motorcycle.

I also noticed on AliExpress where they were selling a motorcycle handlebar extension for mounting accessories that some people might find useful if they are running out of handlebar mounting space for all their stuff or just need to move it up a bit. Here's a photo of it:

1667910505131.jpg

Last edited: