Cockpit Layouts, lets see 'em!

Ed.

Premier Member
Another vote for quadlock. Have used them over two phones and 10s of thousands of km (that's about 4.5mile), including many thousand dirt km - both dirt touring and i have 10km of dirt to get into my place.
Only (non-self inflicted) issue I've ever had was the first case I had on the first phone started wearing a little and eventually broke one of the lugs. I fixed this by putting a small disc of thin foam padding at the centre of the mount. This was before the antivibration mounts came out and it hasn't been an issue since I have had one.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
That is slick but are those pens mounted on the handlebars?
They are tethered styluses (stylii?). After I lost both styluses we were issued during IBR21 because I did not have them tethered, I bought this 3-pack...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PYAOYNK

...and this 5-pack of holders:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0796QQFLM

I am using one of these holders as a way to keep the audio cable that plugs into the top of the phone in place when it is not connected to the phone. It is mounted to the back of the phone holder and because the audio cable has a 90° connector, it stay put and out of the way of the moving parts when not connected to the phone.

Terrywerm

Here is another vote for the RAM Quick Grip. I have one on my Goldwing and have gotten rid of my old X-grip in the semi truck and replaced it with a Quick Grip as well. Worth every penny!! Photo of my cockpit coming later today.

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
Left to Right Zumo 595, Dezl 770, Zumo 665. Bottom center is not a usable GPS. Phone is on the left bar in a MOB Armor mount to run Google Maps, the disc you see is a wireless charging pad double backed the the mount. There's a cup holder and TPMS on the right bar.
Do you have the DEZL in some sort of case? Or am I not seeing it correctly.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Are the GPS units all showing the same route?
Not necessarily.

On this particular ride I ran:
Left - Garmin Zumo 550 that mainly shows speed and logs the trip.
Central - Garmin Zumo 660 is in 'north up' mode and shows the overall route zoomed out.
Right - Garmin Zumo 590LM which is set on 'track up' mode and is zoomed in. This GPS was the main one and was the only one Bluetoothed to my helmet.

I didn't truly need 3 GPS devices on that ride, but despite the flat terrain in the pic, the BB2500K route was a bit complicated.

AirbusFlieger

Not necessarily.

On this particular ride I ran:
Left - Garmin Zumo 550 that mainly shows speed and logs the trip.
Central - Garmin Zumo 660 is in 'north up' mode and shows the overall route zoomed out.
Right - Garmin Zumo 590LM which is set on 'track up' mode and is zoomed in. This GPS was the main one and was the only one Bluetoothed to my helmet.

I didn't truly need 3 GPS devices on that ride, but despite the flat terrain in the pic, the BB2500K route was a bit complicated.

I was surprised at how much I grew to utilize multiple GPS displays. I use a Zumo XT and my iPhone mounted on a vibration dampened Quad Lock with charging.

It was very nice to be able to see the up-close turn by turn and the panned out overall view at the same time.
AF

yon

Premier Member
Simple setup for me. This is my commuting setup, so I used it on my first SS1k a couple days ago. Phone is in a wireless charging mount. Might upgrade to a tablet sometime and move the phone to the bars. Need to figure out if I can run voice navigation from a tablet and music from the phone through the same bluetooth comm first.

View attachment 9073
Upgraded my setup over the holiday weekend. Samsung Active 3 tablet for navigation in a Ram Mount powered dock and my new phone (Samsung S21 FE) with a quad lock wireless charging head. Also added LED auxiliary lights and switched the headlight and city lights to LEDs.

Haven't taken the new setup out on a trip yet, but I found out during a quick spin around town that the 1" ball mount for the tablet is insufficient to keep it steady and it starting drooping during the ride. I ordered some 1.5" ball mounts and arm to see if that fixes the issue. If not, I'll just epoxy the mount into position, though that removes the ability to quick detach the tablet mount, which I would prefer to keep, since I don't need the tablet for everyday commuting.

As a note for others, Cardo's Spirit HD has the ability to connect to two devices at the same time, which allows me to have turn-by-turn voice navigation streaming from the tablet, while having music stream from the phone.
20221126_121124_HDR.jpg

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
the 1" ball mount for the tablet is insufficient to keep it steady and it starting drooping
I had the same problem with my water bottle; the RAM 1" ball wasn't enough to hold it in place. So I used two zip-ties looped together to provide a brace against the weight. Could you do something like this?

20221130_121534.jpg

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
found out during a quick spin around town that the 1" ball mount for the tablet is insufficient to keep it steady and it starting drooping during the ride.
Sometimes you really have to crank that knob down a lot tighter than you might expect.

Ed.

Premier Member
Seconded. Especially when I'm riding on dirt I crank them tight enough to start deforming the ball a little (you can only see it once you've removed the arm again). Never had them go anywhere once tight enough.

yon

Premier Member
It's already cranked down to the point of deforming the ball.

It's pretty much just a matter of weight. B size (1") balls are rated to hold 2lbs and my setup is 2.55lbs with the arm almost fully extended. Add the additional weight gained from vibrations/movement during riding and it's a setup destined to fail that's not the design's fault.

The C size (1.5") is rated for 4lbs, so hopefully it will help. Push comes to shove, I can return the C size (one good thing about Amazon is the return policy) and get the D size (2.25") which is rated for 6lbs.

I've run into a similar issue with using Doubletake's mirrors. I had to crank them down so hard to keep them from moving due to wind pressure that they deformed the ball mount. Now when I adjust the mirrors, they just slip back into the deformed groves. I've switched back to the OEM mirrors for winter (they work better with my hippo hands anyways) and will reconsider using them with new ball mounts come spring.

Last edited: