Combining rides/certifications?

David Yanke

Premier Member
Please be gentle, new and curious.

I just completed a Lake Michigan 1000 last weekend. One of the guys I did it with mentioned combining a pre-approved ride we are doing around Lake superior next month (SS1K) with a Bun Burner. Is this OK?

I have another ride coming up going around all the great lakes ( http://members.triton.net/vandenbe/2017SS3K.html ). Based on what he said, if it is allowed, this would, as planned qualify for a SS2K, an SS1K as well as the intended GLSS3K. In fact, if on the last day we managed to tack on an additional 220 miles, it would be a BBG.

For some reason that just doesn't sound right to me. I am not saying it is cheating or anything, you run the mile, just not not seem to coincide with the "spirit" of the rides. Is it actually allowed.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Please be gentle, new and curious.

I just completed a Lake Michigan 1000 last weekend. One of the guys I did it with mentioned combining a pre-approved ride we are doing around Lake superior next month (SS1K) with a Bun Burner. Is this OK?

I have another ride coming up going around all the great lakes ( http://members.triton.net/vandenbe/2017SS3K.html ). Based on what he said, if it is allowed, this would, as planned qualify for a SS2K, an SS1K as well as the intended GLSS3K. In fact, if on the last day we managed to tack on an additional 220 miles, it would be a BBG.

For some reason that just doesn't sound right to me. I am not saying it is cheating or anything, you run the mile, just not not seem to coincide with the "spirit" of the rides. Is it actually allowed.
I think if you take a look, you'll find at least a couple of threads addressing this topic, including discussion of "certificate whores". But in a nutshell, the basic rule is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate. For a much more complete description, please see

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/nesting.html

As you will see, completing a Saddlesore 1000 and a Bun Burner 1500 is fine. A Saddlesore 1000 and Bun Burner GOLD is not. An analysis of the rides of interest in this particular case is left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

David Yanke

Premier Member
I think if you take a look, you'll find at least a couple of threads addressing this topic, including discussion of "certificate whores". But in a nutshell, the basic rule is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate. For a much more complete description, please see

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/nesting.html

As you will see, completing a Saddlesore 1000 and a Bun Burner 1500 is fine. A Saddlesore 1000 and Bun Burner GOLD is not. An analysis of the rides of interest in this particular case is left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Strong feelings, huh? To be honest, the article (which seems to advocate for multiple certificates) as well as the other threads (I did look) are not really clear, almost appearing to contradict themselves to someone just coming in. I keep looking and reading the blogs till something "clicks".

As you can see from my original post it was more curiosity, however if someone wants to "nest", I guess it is up to them if it within the rules.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I'm more in the middle - doesn't bother me if others prefer to obtain certifications within larger rides; but I do not unless something happens along the way. For example - I just completed a 100 CCC. The first day out I kept to a BBG pace and covered more than 1500 miles in the first 24 hours. I stopped for fuel to obtain a dated receipt and recorded the mileage. However, I only submitted for the 100 CCC as the BBG and 50 CC were a back-up in case I did not complete the bigger ride.

Scott

Bntyhntr6975

Premier Member
If I understand correctly, MileEater program doesnt recognize multiple certs on a ride either.
On my 1st (and only so far, thanks to a traffic jam....) BBG, I completed the BBG and ended up with a SS3K but the time I got home. While both rides are Gold/Extreme level, I only have 1 that counts towards MileEater upgrade, even tho I took both certs.

BMWguy

IBA Member
If I understand correctly, MileEater program doesnt recognize multiple certs on a ride either.
On my 1st (and only so far, thanks to a traffic jam....) BBG, I completed the BBG and ended up with a SS3K but the time I got home. While both rides are Gold/Extreme level, I only have 1 that counts towards MileEater upgrade, even tho I took both certs.
I believe that is correct. One ride even though resulting in two certifications does not meet the requirement for the Mile Eater Program.
I could be wrong (just ask my wife) but hopefully Ira will clarify.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Correct. As the rules state,

"Anyone who completes more than one certified ride but NOT on the same ride, for example, your first ride is a SaddleSore 1000 and at a later date, you complete another certified ride, such as a Bun Burner 1500. However, completing a SaddleSore 1000 AND Bun Burner 1500 on the same continuous ride is not eligible for Mile Eater status."

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

BigDaddy

Premier Member
I'm more in the middle - doesn't bother me if others prefer to obtain certifications within larger rides; but I do not unless something happens along the way. For example - I just completed a 100 CCC. The first day out I kept to a BBG pace and covered more than 1500 miles in the first 24 hours. I stopped for fuel to obtain a dated receipt and recorded the mileage. However, I only submitted for the 100 CCC as the BBG and 50 CC were a back-up in case I did not complete the bigger ride.

Scott

First off, congrats on your 100 CCC!! Thats a great ride. Im like you, I dont care what other riders do as far as certs go, but, if I had done this ride, I would for sure claim the BBG. the BBG was actually done, so therefore I would be sending it in, even tho it willnot count towards the Mile Eater.

I might in the future - I save all the paperwork and have physical as well as electronic copies of my receipts - as I understand; there is no statue of limitations requesting for a ride to be certified as long as sufficient documentation is provided.