Comments - Australian Specific Rides

Ed.

Premier Member
Peters post:
Roslyn's report:

This ride had been in the planning since a chance meeting between Coldcomfort and myself at Wilmington during the Davo plaque ride in 2010.

I Started from Lithgow on a wet cold Wednesday morning, heading for St George. Due to the rain and cold this was a slow trip made more so by the transit along the Newell between Coonabarabran and Moree, at a100km/h this is a boring road and the sooner the current government keeps its promise and raises the speed back to 110km/h the better.(political rant over)

[img width=800 height=600]
[/img]
On the plains near Narrabri​

Thursday St George to Longreach
Awoke to what looked like a blue sky day so started to pack the bike, by the time I had finished a slight fog had rolled in.
[/img]​
Heading out of St George the slight fog turned into a pea souper, no worries have plenty of time to get to my first stop at Mitchell so kept the speed down between 60 and 70km/h. About 20k out I was passed by a 4x4 doing at least three times my speed, he must have been driving blind as I could only see at best 50 to 100 metres.
Not long after the first kangaroo’s appeared off to the sides of the road so again the speed was lowered to 50 km/h and about that time I had a mob cross the road about 60 metres ahead unfortunately being focused on the mob ahead I missed the suicide attacker off to the side, when I finally saw the bugger he was zeroed in on the front of the bike, some quick acceleration and an evasive flick to the left had him take the bike right on my leg the bruise is almost gone as I write this. He then slid under the bike and I passed over him without any major damage.
It was a relief to make it to Mitchell without another encounter with the amount of wild life about the road it’s really zoo central at the moment with Roo’s, Pigs, Cattle, Goats, Emu and a couple of feral cats being my tally of sightings.
I finally ran out from underneath to fog at Augathella, headed for Tambo and after getting fuel there the bike started to surge at about 5k rpm, no problems I though just picked up some water during the last two fuel stops. About 40k out of Tambo I pulled out to pass a road train and when half way along the bike died then picked up again I pulled back in behind him and followed him the rest of the was to Longreach with the bike getting sicker and sicker.
At Longreach I was directed to Centretune the local, Kawasaki agent who not only knew about the sock (filter) in the fuel pump but had done a few in recent months. With the bike booked in to be repaired the next day it was time to find a Motel for the night. Again the boys at Centretune helped out and I was directed to the Longreach Motel in the main street of town. I recommend you try this place out when in Longreach as it is a comfortable clean and quiet with reasonable rates, the owners are great and made the stay very enjoyable.
[img width=450 height=600]
[/img]​

Saturday Longreach to Mt Isa
With the bike now running sweet I headed for my next overnighter at Mt Isa, Its taken two days a breakdown and a day sightseeing in Longreach but I am finally enjoying the ride and no longer thinking about what problems will be waiting for me when I return to work. Love the countryside out here only one incident just out of Longreach a road works detour onto the black soil that had just been watered meant that I had a few slides with the rear deciding it did not to follow the front it certainly was pucker time, dirt track speedway on a GTR anyone?
[/img]​

Sunday Mt Isa to Three Ways NT
Early start and at Camooweal by 9 am stopped at the border sign for a picture then onwards road signs ahead stating end 110 k limit and just over the rise two big 130k signs Whoo Hoo.
[/img]​
I may have over done it a bit as Barkly Homestead appeared in short time and my fuel compulsion took a dive.
At $2.00 a Litre I certainly paid for the fun
Arrived at Three Ways just after midday booked into my top class room and as Coldcomfort had advised he would be there later in the afternoon, I rode into Tennent Creek for a look around.
Back at Three Ways while checking out one of the road trains CC finally appeared, quick greetings then after he had settled in it was time for a few ales.
[/img]​

Monday Three Ways to Kununurra WA
I love NT roads even though CC claimed their government were neglecting they and building wave parks instead, they make put NSW roads to shame. He even managed to find me some good sweepers in the Georges National Park man is it hard to concentrate on riding when the countryside is so breathtaking.

My PHD camera (press here dummy) just could not do justice to the scenery on this trip. Arrived at Kununurra at around 5pm.
[/img]
[/img]​

Tuesday off to Derby
As we were running one day early we decided to stop over night at Derby instead of pushing through to Broome I found this part of the ride to be of less interest apart from the fuel stops at Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing, the first because of the owner of the roadhouse complaining that They (the locals) had pinched his pressure gauge the following night, and the latter due to a couple of helpful policemen who advised on the road conditions, attitude of WA cops to speed and recommended a good Motel in Derby. Unfortunately it was booked out so second best had to do at $260 per night. What can I say about Derby well been there seen that and don’t need to go back. No Pics here as for some reason they did not save to the card.

Wednesday Derby to Broome
Short transit to Broome so late checkout and a slow run into town and we still arrived too early to check in at the Roebuck Hotel so parked the bikes and kicked back and once again began to enjoy a quite ale or two before taking a walk to check out the surrounding sights of Broome. That night we dined at Matso’s http://www.matsosbroomebrewery.com.au and tried out their beers especially the Mango Beer they make, I think it was our undoing as we both were a bit seedy and slow next day, after that it was no grog and relax until Saturday when we would head for the east coast. But that’s another story.

Some shots of Broome​

[/img]
Pearl Lugger off Cable Beach
[/img]
Main street diver
[/img]
Sun Theather
[/img]
Sunset Cable Beach​
[/QUOTE]

There you go. For future reference/others info I just highlighted each of the image links and then copied it and clicked the image button in the tool bar and pasted the link I just copied into the little window that comes up.
I did have your post as a quote but the images were smaller and the message had to be expanded to see it all.
I could/should have cleaned up the codes thingies as well but I've only had one coffee so far.

Last edited:

tj189

Premier Member
Would be great to see some of those older notable rider ported over here.

When copying from other forums (at least ones that use similar software) the easiest way I have found is to use the "Quote" button on the message your are copying FROM and then just highlight the quoted bit and paste it into the new forum/thread. That way you get all the script stuff for things like photos and other bits.

---------------

As an aside to this discussion; This made me again consider the definition of the Australian Coast to Coast. As I understand it from previous discussions the Australian Coast to Coast has been defined as "Sydney or north " to "Perth/Freo or north". Is this still correct?
Start anywhere between Sydney and Brisbane, to Freemantle, Perth or start Freemantle, Perth and finish anywhere between Sydney and Brisbane. Whilst there has been some flexibility in the start/finish point of Freemantle, Perth, which was the original finish of the ride, there have been riders finishing between Scarborough to the north and Coogee in the south (this is the Coogee in WA).

Given Coogee (A Sydney beach, for those elsewhere reading this) to Trigg Beach (A Perth beach...) is ~3943km according to google maps and Batemans Bay to Bunbury(back beach, ocean drive) is 3966km, is it time this definition was reconsidered/broadened ?
Current requirements for the Coast to Coast series of rides may be found here http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ausc2c/

(More than happy to be told I have got the original definition completely wrong)

Ed.

Premier Member
Yep, that's what I thought, TJ. And yet we have a 50cc starting/finishing well north of both those locations and 100 odd km shorter than Batemans bay to Bunbury (just for example). It just strikes me that the "Between Sydney and Brisbane" is both arbitrary and ignored when it suits.

Are you suggesting that more southern start/finish points wouldn't be certified, or just that no one as done it yet?

tj189

Premier Member
Yep, that's what I thought, TJ. And yet we have a 50cc starting/finishing well north of both those locations and 100 odd km shorter than Batemans bay to Bunbury (just for example). It just strikes me that the "Between Sydney and Brisbane" is both arbitrary and ignored when it suits.

Are you suggesting that more southern start/finish points wouldn't be certified, or just that no one as done it yet?
Not sure I agree with the locations between Brisbane and Sydney being ignored. Now having said that, I cannot remember any rides being accepted for a 50CC Gold that started/finished any further south than Coogee beach in Sydney and Brisbane, I could be wrong.

As to your question; in line with the requirements in the link above:
As of November 2016, Australia now has Coast to Coast rides established on our West Coast, East Coast, across the southern part of Australia and the Northern part of Australia. It is not envisaged that any further Coast to Coast rides using different routes or start/finish locations will be verified, however should a rider wish to put forward a proposal then please email [email protected] .

Ed.

Premier Member
No worries, TJ. As I ssaid on the phone I still reckon it should be done only on shortest direct distance between start and finish points on respective coasts rather than on specific locations - longer than xxxxkm is CCgold, les than that is just std CC. But it is what it is and we can work within that.

Frog

Premier Member
IBA Member
the Esperance to Wyndham 50 cc gold (arguably the most difficult in OZ) is, I believe gold because it is 4100km/<48hrs. on the other hand the short version (not yet done) is 3700km?/50hrs, thus not gold. now I was under the impression that the 50cc had to be cc with different ocean/sea names and that there would be a minimum distance, i.e. that of the USA 50cc. don't know how I came up with those thoughts.... its not written that I know of. I am sure it would be silly having 20 different 50cc routes certified and listed were half of them are only unique be cause they start/end 50km north/south of another and not adding ant extra challenges to over come other than more time in the saddle. I hope at least 50% of the above is right...please correct me:)

Frog

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks Tj for the correction. So I guess that the reason it is Gold is because Of the 4100km distance?
I have looked at the link and that is not the original route, must be another one that has been done since,

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
the Esperance to Wyndham 50 cc gold (arguably the most difficult in OZ)
Yes it's a difficult one to do.

Just Quick add to the difficulty and challenges of 50CC rides in OZ ....
I believe the Perth, Port Augusta, Darwin has the most challenging route to overcome. 5100+ km in < 50 hrs.
I did ask at the time if this could be classified as a 50CC Insanity Gold... I still wait hoping one day the challenge is recognised in it's own category.

tj189

Premier Member
Thanks Tj for the correction. So I guess that the reason it is Gold is because Of the 4100km distance?
I have looked at the link and that is not the original route, must be another one that has been done since,
The route may be my fault (and we can correct that if it is wrong) but I used the gpx file that you sent across, we are talking about the Western Australia 50CC Gold?

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The route may be my fault (and we can correct that if it is wrong) but I used the gpx file that you sent across, we are talking about the Western Australia 50CC Gold?
Sorry TJ,, High-jacked the thread ... Yes your right that the WA 50CC Gold Esperance, to Wyndham via the Coast road .. and Frog is also correct that a standard 50CC Esperance, to Wyndham would be to go through Meekatharra & Newman with an option of Leinster, The Km Distance is what sets the difference between Gold to standard version.

The Western Australia End to End is indeed Albany to Wyndham via the coast road in < 48hrs

Hope this Helps ..:)
upload_2017-2-8_19-37-4.png

tj189

Premier Member
Sorry TJ,, High-jacked the thread ... Yes your right that the WA 50CC Gold Esperance, to Wyndham via the Coast road .. and Frog is also correct that a standard 50CC Esperance, to Wyndham would be to go through Meekatharra & Newman with an option of Leinster, The Km Distance is what sets the difference between Gold to standard version.

The Western Australia End to End is indeed Albany to Wyndham via the coast road in < 48hrs

Hope this Helps ..:)
Thanks Ziggy, would you mind sending me the gpx file for the ride you and frog did for the Western Australia 50CC Gold please.

From the link above; "As of November 2016, Australia now has Coast to Coast rides established on our West Coast, East Coast, across the southern part of Australia and the Northern part of Australia. It is not envisaged that any further Coast to Coast rides using different routes or start/finish locations will be verified, however should a rider wish to put forward a proposal then please email [email protected] ."

Reader57

TJ,
Because the list is not comprehensive on the IBA site, should we list all the kilometre based rides on the Australian list. For example, the SS5000k in 72 hours or the SS4000k Gold in 48 hours.