Computer route generation

Have you really had any good luck using "Optimize" in BaseCamp? I've seen it take perfectly crafted routes and totally mangle them into something two or three times as long as the original. In fact, I've never seen a successful BaseCamp optimize...
Same here, it seems to take a fairly straightforward path and turn it into a spiralling nightmare.

DangerDarren

Hi folks,
I've been thinking about this again as a theoretical exercise. I might take a stab at auto-creating a result and then comparing with winner's route on the UK BBR. Rather than consider just distance, was thinking that the real measure of a route is the points delivered / miles so you get a bang for buck measurement. Rather than do a lookup of all possible routes in detail I'm thinking of doing a basic (as crow flies) calculation to do a first pass on long routes etc. Will publish progress here.
D.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I sometimes switch to the local language, the Garmin is sometimes so unintelligible....:rolleyes:
I very rarely use voice directions, I tend to just glance at the route direction map. The only time I ever do is in busy cities where I need to concentrate more on what's going on around me then just listen instead.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi folks, I've been thinking about this again as a theoretical exercise. I might take a stab at auto-creating a result and then comparing with winner's route on the UK BBR. D.
After every BBR I've waited for ride reports from Robert and other podium finishers then plotted their routes onto the same Basecamp map together with my actual (not planned) route. I then ponder why I didn't see what they did, or try and work out how they managed their winning routes and I couldn't. This does help to a certain degree but experience is often the best solution, so instead of getting fed up with a poor result just come back again and you normally improve. Well, until the rallymaster changes things that is ;)

Mark
your right there is a reason we don't see the solution others see, it very simply comes down to experience as you have rightly pointed out (past scenarios allow the brain to make accurate intuitive decisions whilst under pressure). I did read a number of good books on how we make decisions, yes and can still make poor decisions at times. reviewing other routes is a sound idea it opens us up to possibilities
biting of more than can be chewed usually gives me a worse result than a more conservative approach.
so to put simply what looks like a good route at first glance probably is but you need to check it, but first glance may give 2 or 3 possible routes.
There are a multitude of pitfalls with intuitive decision making reviewing that decision , is how to confirm good or bad ideas

DangerDarren

Thanks for advice. Totally agree that experience will help build that better route etc. Rest assured that come the actual planning in may I'll be using basecamp and some common sense. I'm planning on picking a nice short-ish route and making it to finish.

Given I'm not great in cold etc, I've spent some hours over weekend looking at this problem as a bit of brain puzzle and its sent me off down a few interesting rabbit holes. Using bits of computer software I'm building parts of a solution. As you can see from screenshot, I'm still working on as 'as crow flies' calculations, but its getting there. I've patched together bits of google route planning, plus some route optimisation. This is using data from this years BBT.

Attachments

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
One good thing to practice is the speed settings for different road types. In the early days I ended up finding that during rallies I was never able to get to each bonus location anywhere near the time expected from my laptop (well, apart from the first few maybe). This is why routes went to pot a bit and I ended up having to ditch many but consider going to other places instead. Nowadays my speed settings are pretty good and take into consideration not only actual road speeds but also a bit of time for traffic etc.

When putting my rally routes together I always try and have some branches based on time - ie if I'm behind time dropping bonus location X will get me back on schedule, in planning its easier to highlight the lowest points sacrifice whereas on the road a weary brain can mess it up. I also try and highlight other points that can be collected if I get ahead of schedule, again easier to have that planned rather than spend time figuring it out later.

The Basecamp vs Zumo vs real world timing differences have always been a problem, but I've done quite a few runs out now where I've planned times on Basecamp then compared to the actual times and tweaked the basecamp speed settings as much as possible - it's closer now, probably as good as I'll get.

Distha

Last edited: