Corona virus

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
This will affect what we do there is an RTE 4th April will the cafe still be open?
Do you want to expose yourself to contamination with a risk of taking it home to your family?
We as a group need to make a decision we can't ignore this.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
There is not an RTE on 4th April although there is one on 11th April. It's at a cafe, which may or may not be open, in a wide open space on top of the south downs. We all ride alone and make our own decisions. If we meet up we'll make a point of standing 2 metres apart, even during the photo.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
We can stand two metres apart in a line extending back, rather than side to side. Of course, the person taking the photo will then need to be atop a stepladder.

Regards,
Martin

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
On a more serious note, the official NHS advice is here. Basically it says "Stay at home if you have coronavirus symptoms" and in its section on "Social distancing" to avoid spreading it includes "avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas; avoid events with large groups of people". The prime minister said yesterday that he thought it would take about 12 weeks for all this to come under control. I am both older and more cynical than him and I think it'll be 12 months or longer.

If we all adopt the policy of "I must avoid all 'unnecessary' contact with others and I mustn't frivolously ride my motorbike because ..." we might just as well all roll over and die straight away. In my opinion, and without ignoring or contradicting the scientists, we should endeavour to maintain normal life wherever possible because that's the whole point of fighting disease in the first place. I'm happy to ignore or contradict the politicians because ...

This particular RTE should provide an excellent example of how to carry on as normal. It involves riding some fabulous roads; we meet in the open air; we can all remember not to shake hand or indulge in group hugs. We're British, we survived the Blitz and Brexit, we won the World Cup, let's set an example to the world!

good point John
things are getting serious business's and kip fit clubs etc are making their own decisions to close up well certainly around where i live, despite the government advice that they can stay open.

i have never seen governments so scarred of a virus which makes me ponder just how serious this is, and not closing restaurants pubs etc well the advice changes daily. for me the key statement is unnecessary contact. under normally circumstances a RTE is quite a pleasant get together i skipped last weeks and i'll miss this one. was hoping to get a few more in this year even doing the odd one in europe but sadly looks like it may have to wait a bit to the worst of this is over.

And yes i've been out on the bike today and i did not stop on my journey other than for petrol which i paid for at the pump so zero contact with others but still got to enjoy the bike.

as a group i dont know how we would make that decision

Aitch

The gov are not being completely open......if you do the arithmetic - 60% of the population infected (about 38 million), 1% of which will need a ventilator (about 380000) and we have 5000 ventilators. The current tactic, is to try and keep the infection rate low enough not to outstrip ventilator availability. Assuming each of the 380000 need to be on a ventilator for 1/2 a week (10000 a week on a ventilator)- they need to prolong the infection to 38 weeks..... I expect they will relax the restrictions in a couple of months and then re-impose them if the rate picks up again.

Could be worse - the initial tactic seemed to be let it spread at a reasonable rate until herd immunity was achieved and accept this would result in 100k-200k deaths

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Some of you might have been fooled into thinking that I take this issue lightly or frivolously. Of course I take it very seriously indeed. I don't feel the need to spread alarm and despondency, I haven't been panic buying toilet rolls, I have been extra careful around the very old and the very sick, I wash my hands, properly, several times each day.

I understand entirely that many of you will choose to avoid all contact and even refrain from riding your bikes. That's your choice and I have no intention of second-guessing your judgment. For my part I shall endeavour to keep normal life ticking over wherever possible and in keeping with the science as it develops.

"science as it develops" - surely I mean the settled, mathematically proven, science as explained by the prime minister and others???

This morning I was given fresh protocols on how to don/doff personal protective equipment (ppe). These were quite different to the ppe protocols I received last week which were in turn different to those issued two weeks ago. I have also received two sets of changes to cardiac arrest protocols. Science as it develops. I'm not a scientist, I just do as I'm told.

You all must of course use your own best judgment with whatever information you have to hand.

Hi

Reading the threads glad to see that some people still have common sense , yes we need to be careful but come on isn't riding our bikes self contained we wear PPE of sorts .

So hope your meet on the 11th goes ahead shame I live up north would love to come.

I will have to risk ridding around the North York moors and hope I don't get pulled over what makes me laugh is that you can go out on a bicycle surely your more exposed doing this than on a motorcycle.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
At some point you are going to have to get fuel petrol pump handles are a known pick up point for the virus
there is a risk that you will either come off or get knocked off your bike adding to the problems that the NHS already has
to risk you contaminating your self the ambulance crew or them contamination you.
The govt let cyclists out wrong IMO as they will always ride in groups and for you to use that as an excuse to be out on your bike well two wrongs don't make a right.
If you get pulled by the police you risk getting contaminated by them or the other way round all the emergency services are at greater risk of taking CV home to their family's because of their exposure to selfish people like you, dont be part of the problem be part of the solution.

Hi

Appreciate what you are saying, but this whole crisis has been blown out of all proportion.

I have lost my job because of this again it's only a few that may get the full blown symptoms for most it's just a mild case.

To properly immune societies is to be exposed to this that way like colds or flu the more that have that strain the better we all are at coping with it.

I have to go shopping fill the car etc all risks life is about risks.

If you feel inclined you can shut yourself away it's not selfish being out and about its respecting others but to bankrupt the country is total madness and like me tens of thousands will have no jobs to go back to.

So back to my point going out on your bike has always been risky less so at the moment as the roads have never been so quiet wear gloves when filling up better still pay at pump if you have one near you.

All I have left at the moment is my bike as as unemployment looms that will have to go too.

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Falkland Bomber..... my ‘well said John’ was not a dig at you...it was only to complement John on his response which was well constructed. If it offended you I’m truly sorry. I don’t know you but hope to get that pleasure at some time in the future...seriously I do...

There’s enough people on here that I do know well enough, that I can spend my time insulting....

I think the whole thing about going out right now is, if... if you come off. If you contract it. If you pass it on.

We all desperately want to go out for a ride but there will be time for that if, we look after each other now.

I’m sorry if you have lost your job. The next RTE... come, if you will except it.. I will buy you lunch....

Jon

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
With govt's around the world risking destroying their economy's this is not being blown out of proportion
What they are doing is slowing the infection rate so the NHS cope it will run it's course your option for uncontrolled exposure will mean at least 200K deaths when they get viable tests for this it might slacken off but keep in mind whole world is demanding these test kits the logistics are mind boggling.
We all have to shop to get the essentials so that is an unavoidable risk your job is regarded as non-essential as thousands of other are i hope it's still there when we get back to normality if your bike is your only means of transport take care.

i loose heart when reading such statements,
It became apparent that this was pretty serious as soon as the Chinese quarantined a whole city, we are not being asked to put ourselves out too much to help, stay at home avoid contact as much as possible and don't make unnecessary journeys. personally i don't think its been blown out of proportion rather it was played down early on.

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Jonnyp
IBA Member

Today at 1:01 PM

Falkland Bomber..... my ‘well said John’ was not a dig at you...it was only to complement John on his response which was well constructed. If it offended you I’m truly sorry. I don’t know you but hope to get that pleasure at some time in the future...seriously I do...

There’s enough people on here that I do know well enough, that I can spend my time insulting....

I think the whole thing about going out right now is, if... if you come off. If you contract it. If you pass it on.

We all desperately want to go out for a ride but there will be time for that if, we look after each other now.

I’m sorry if you have lost your job. The next RTE... come, if you will except it.. I will buy you lunch....

Jon
Im also offended Jonny P can I have a free lunch at the next RTE ?:):):).