Current US certification lead time

What is the current lead time for certifications in the US? I mailed my cert pkg 9/28/2021. So far check isn't cashed, no word from IBA.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I estimate it at 14-16 weeks right now. Check is cashed when the ride passes review.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It can take some time for Mike to review each and every certificate before he signs it. It then goes through a few more steps before it is mailed.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Apparently so, it’s been 45 days so far
Note that Howard was only speaking of Premier submissions. Non-Premier submissions are typically taking 14-6 weeks.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Note that Howard was only speaking of Premier submissions. Non-Premier submissions are typically taking 14-6 weeks.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Hi Ira, I hear it is typically 14-16 weeks for a submission. My ride has submitted 26+ weeks ago. Is there anything way I could find out what might be the problem with it?

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Hi IRA, I mailed my 1st SS1000 October 13, 2021. Tomorrow makes 16 weeks. Is there a way to know if it was received or being viewed? I am hopng to be certified before I embark on this year's rides....

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Because of the large volume of mail we receive, I'm afraid we can't provide status information.

Thank you for your reply. I am planning an embedded SS1000/BBG in April. Is it OK to submit before being certified? Do I have to to a Butt Burner before going for the gold?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Thank you for your reply. I am planning an embedded SS1000/BBG in April. Is it OK to submit before being certified? Do I have to to a Butt Burner before going for the gold?
First, the basic rule is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only certify one of them. Everyone who completes a BBG has by definition also completed an SS1K. So we would only certify the BBG. Note that this is different with the SS1K/BB1500 combo, where it is possible to complete the BB1500 without necessarily completing the SS1K.

That said, the reason we want folks to complete at least an SS1K prior to attempting a BBG is because too many folks were attempting the BBG first and ended up biting off more than they could chew. Because you have completed an SS1K (even though it hasn't yet been certified), you have some idea of what the BBG will take. So proceed with the BBG portion of your plan.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association