Darwin to Port August- Centreline 36.

HACKLE

As mentioned in my last post this is the report of my ride from Darwin to Port Augusta [Centreline 36].
After spending Sunday 27th. August resting in my cabin at a caravan park just out of Darwin city I returned at 2.28am. on Monday 28th. to the Shell fuel outlet in Daly St. Darwin city. With my start docket secured I left Darwin on the same roads I had entered two days earlier.
It was fairly mild, 20 degrees as I left but this quickly changed to 14 degrees only 100 kilometres south and I was looking for a place to stop to put my heated jacket on.
Katherine #1 fuel stop, 315 kms. 3 hours and I was back at the United Fuel outlet at 5.29am. After a quick stop it was back heading south. I had only seen two small kangaroos just south of Adelaide River, they were having a little dance in the middle of the road. On them separating I rode through between them, not an issue. These were the only live wildlife I saw on the return journey.
I had been sitting on 125 kph in the dark and as the sun came up I upped the speed to 140 kph. all good in the 130 kph. Northern Territory speed limit.
#2 fuel stop, 274 kms. at Daly Waters 8.05am.
#3 " " 146 kms. " Elliott 9.15am.
#4 " " 229 kms. " Three Ways 11.06am.
#5 " " 339 kms. " Ti-Tree 1.53pm.
#6 " " 193 kms. " Alice Springs 3.31pm.
#7 " " 200 kms. " Erldunda 5.10pm.
Erldunda was my planned rest stop for 6.5 hours. I quickly got to my room, unpacked and showered then into the dining area for the first meal for the day, I had eaten a couple of energy bars during the morning so was looking forward to a good meal. Grilled fish, plenty of salad and a few chips all washed down with a light ale, perfect. Back at the room I repacked the panniers and then set the alarm for 2.15am.
I left Erldunda [Tuesday 29th.] and headed out into the dark at 3am. Back into night mode, high beam, driving lights lighting up the road and verges, 125 kph. Next stop Marla.
#8 Fuel stop 254kms. at Marla 5.22am. No wildlife movement, all good. Reset the mind and move into daylight mode.
#9 " " 234 kms. " Coober Pedy 7.24am. I pushed the Trophy away from the pumps and took off the helmet so I could pay for the fuel and get a toasted egg and bacon sandwich for breakfast. Normally my helmet stays on and I simply lift the front [Shoei Neotec] which makes it easier for eating and drinking on the move. There was a large group of classic car enthusiasts in having breakfast as well. They were either driving or towing their beautiful show cars to Alice Springs for large Centre Nats Car Show.
On this next section south of Coober Pedy [opal capitol of Australia] there was a hell of a lot of road kill, roos and a few cattle. Obviously all the two previous nights action. When you have a four trailer road-train sitting on 100 kph. the driver doesn't swerve or stop for wild-life. Look up Australian road-trains to get an idea of what I'm talking about.
#10 fuel stop 254 kms. at Glendambo 9.56am.
I only had the last section to finish and I'd have completed my Centreline 36.
#11[finish] fuel stop 284 kms. at Port Augusta 12.26pm.
My cutoff time was 3pm. so I had done it with plenty of time to spare. After fueling and paying I moved the bike away from the pumps and went in and asked the attendants if they would witness my finish paperwork. I had had the start witnesses [couple of caravan staff in Darwin] sign me out of Darwin. A quick call home to my wife [she had been following my link on Location Sharing on my phone] to tell her it was all done and dusted. With congratulations conveyed her next words were priceless.
"Have you had fun, if so, then get your arse home there's work to be done"
Done you just love a caring wife. A quick can of coke and a chocolate ice-cream to celebrate before heading fo Paringa in South Australia on the Murray River for a motel room, feed, few drinks before sleep, I was a little tired. Wednesday 30th. I was back in Victoria and seated at a cafe in Sea Lake enjoying a large cooked breakfast. With another couple of fuel stops to go before my last fill-up in Bairnsdale, home town, and back home at 5.30pm. where it all started seven days earlier.
It was good to have crossed off these two rides from my "bucket list". What's next, don't know, but after a couple of days rest I had "that work" to do.
How did the Trophy perform, I don't have to tell you that, you all ride one, how else, perfect. The only think that didn't come home with me was the right rear reflector. No I'm not going to replace it I'll simply buy some reflective tape to put on both sides of the rear guard. Cheap, effective and legal.
One might say, another one done and dusted. Cheers.