December 30 2021

0On Wednesday 29th Dec, two riders are meeting at the Wilcannia Motel ( Grahams Motel attached to the Liberty servo) in the hot mid afternoon for an evening of conversation. It's been our conversation this year, can you get out across a border, whats your restrictions, whats your window and now its just let us do it.

Two hours before dawn on the Thursday 30th, we shall ride across to the IBA Memorial and sit quietly in the pre dawn and watch the country wake up in silence shared, respectful of the areas history, remembering those for whom the memorial was constructed, in awe of our countries ability to throw colour with abandon across a landscape as raw as ours.

With the rising of the sun and with daylights tendrils walking across our wide brown land, we will go our seperate ways knowing we reconnected with a like minded rider at least once this year.

Any and all are welcome to join us for this last chance at a gathering in 2021. Arrive at Grahams motel ( 08 8091 5957) or arrive in the dawn at the memorial, just arrive.
Bring a flask of tea or coffee or cold water to the memorial or a two stack lemon merangue pie but it goes without saying, all we shall leave are boot marks in the dust.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Thanks for your thoughts Ron.
Maybe catch up with you on the way back Thursday? Sunrise is around 6.30 in Wilcannia, maybe leave @7am,, around 5 hours to Mildura, you might see me on the road North of Wentworth, in some shade somewhere, around 11am. Enjoy. Edit: Of course, I'm assuming you will be coming home through Mildura,

Last edited:

HACKLE

As can be seen by the time of this post, I'm back at home. Yesterday morning I had ridden the bike into the garage at the front of the house to facilitate an easier departure later. Then after a restless few hours of sleep I was up and ready to leave at 11.30 pm last night.
Bike won't start. Nothing at all, not even turning over. Dead battery. Even after riding it earlier in the day round to the garage. Get the jumper leads, position bike near Elwyn's car, attach leads, then start bike as if nothing's wrong.
Decide to leave [probably not my wisest decision], put jumper leads in top box. First fuel stop is Caltex Ravenswood on the Calder Hwy. Arrive as scheduled, ponder whether to turn off bike or not. Bike will need to be turned off sooner or later. Turn it off, fuel up, pay and return to bike to find it won't start.
With the assistance of John [servo attendant], I use his car battery to jump start the bike. Restart the ride only this time in a Southerly direction straight home. Arrive home to an overly concerned wife who is disappointed that I can't do what I had really been looking forward to.
So there it is, another trip will be planned, when I've had the chance to delve further into the lack of start problems, new battery to start with and hope that solves the problem.
I wish those more fortunate than myself safe riding and great times tonight and early in the morning at the plaque. Cheers.

As can be seen by the time of this post, I'm back at home. Yesterday morning I had ridden the bike into the garage at the front of the house to facilitate an easier departure later. Then after a restless few hours of sleep I was up and ready to leave at 11.30 pm last night.
Bike won't start. Nothing at all, not even turning over. Dead battery. Even after riding it earlier in the day round to the garage. Get the jumper leads, position bike near Elwyn's car, attach leads, then start bike as if nothing's wrong.
Decide to leave [probably not my wisest decision], put jumper leads in top box. First fuel stop is Caltex Ravenswood on the Calder Hwy. Arrive as scheduled, ponder whether to turn off bike or not. Bike will need to be turned off sooner or later. Turn it off, fuel up, pay and return to bike to find it won't start.
With the assistance of John [servo attendant], I use his car battery to jump start the bike. Restart the ride only this time in a Southerly direction straight home. Arrive home to an overly concerned wife who is disappointed that I can't do what I had really been looking forward to.
So there it is, another trip will be planned, when I've had the chance to delve further into the lack of start problems, new battery to start with and hope that solves the problem.
I wish those more fortunate than myself safe riding and great times tonight and early in the morning at the plaque. Cheers.
That is just disheartening mate.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It was so good to catch up with the other 4 riders yesterday. It has been far too long.

Yesterdays ride had me leaving at 0010 with a detour to Tumby Bay just to make things interesting before arriving in Wilcannia in just under 16 hours.
In total 1658 for the days ride.

Last edited: