Dunedoo 2 - NSW-SS1600K and Liz becomes an IBA member 21 Mar 2016


Premier Member
Dunedoo2. NSW SS1600K - 21 Mar 2013.
Distance under 24hrs: 1709 kms

Take Liz on her first IBA ride and thus, attempting my first IBA ride with a pillion. So a two up IBA Saddle Sore 1600K from Broken Hill via Dubbo to Dunedoo and back via Gilgandra was planned. Times are Daylight Savings times in all time zones.
  • Rider: Alwyn (Bazz) Bressanelli
  • Pillion: Elizabeth (Liz) Seaton
  • Motorcycle: Kwakatoa. Kawasaki 1400GTR
Fuel tank holds 22L, the jerry cans each is designated 10L, at exactly 11L there was still plenty of room. These were filled at the Start and at Dunedoo only.

The job to do.

03.36hrs CST on the 21st March 2013
As all fuel outlets where closed here in the Hill, it's an ATM receipt for both me and Liz. 3.36hrs local CST time but 04.04hrs EST was the timestamp on our receipts. Receipts numbered (Start in this case), ODO recorded, Trip and GPS meters zero'd, local (CST) recorded, quick pic and we're away.

The temp hovers around 20C with a furious northerly blowing hard and this was 3.30ish in the morning! I managed a quick look at EldersWeather and took note of the 80% chance of late thunderstorms at Cobar a lower % chance was reported for Broken Hill as well. What would we be coming back to? Without fear we plunged head first in the darkness and the fray. Funny how you can't really see dust at night. Keeping an eye on Liz she continued to give the thumbs up so onwards we rode. The wind varied from cross to head on and this played havoc with fuel economy so at Baden Park rest area, about 60kms east of Wilcannia the two 10 litre jerry cans are emptied into the tank.

Morning was starting to show colour in the sky and not only I but Liz is loving it. We both could do without the wind though.

"I've never ridden this far from home on a motorbike before, and never in the dark!" is Liz's comment.

It's hard work trying to maintain anywhere near the speed limit in the dark and this trip was proving no different. Luscious fed meant that wildlife and livestock are extremely problematic. Of course the roos were there, not too bad thanks to the wind and most played nicely. A moving grey mass after refuelling had me looking for the anchors only to see at least a dozen big pigs shuffling off together enmasse. Weird how they moved as one.
Cobar arrives with the sun high and temps too.

We're at the BP and local time on the docket should say 08:34hrs it doesn't. Liz goes back to rectify and I put ear plugs in because the wind noise with this new flip lip is driving me nuts, Liz comes back and reports the staff member wasn't very happy about fixing the time on the receipt. Hmm....

We continue to the Florida rest area sort of halfway between Cobar and Nyngan, a scheduled stop for food. Out of nowhere appears a Grey Nomad with questions, I'm glad Liz was there to be polite whilst I feasted on baked beans, dried mango cheeks, Craisins and roasted almonds. All washed down with good old water from the CamelBak. Next stop Narromine and fuel. The docket would serve as a corner as well.

Dubbo and the weather is calmer and feels a lot cooler. Stopped here for water to top up the hydration packs, the docket will be used as a corner. Now here in Dubbo I'd forgotten that to get to Dunedoo you need to follow the signs. I just kept travelling east like I normally do until the realisation set in. Too late to turn back besides I figured I'd have to head 90 degrees left to get onto the Golden Hwy to Dunedoo. A left at Beni Road got me there. Here's another of those firsts, I've never been on this lovely little back country road leading through the heartlands of Australia. "They are so green those pastures through there." Liz would later comment.

Turn Around Point
Dunedoo and the turn around point greeted us in very warm, dusty (thanks to the semi's dropping their dust) and windy conditions.

The local Rest Rooms and surrounding parkland made the perfect setting for lunch. It seemed the wind settled somewhat during lunch then after a quick photo we refuelled including the long empty jerry cans. These would get us to Cobar, well that was the plan.

The Castlereagh Way proved to be calm and serene like the country side and soon Gilgandra and a Cherry Ripe corner receipt. No nothing to do with Rally planning, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

From Gilly to Warren we could literally see the storm clouds brewing to the south and west of us and we were heading straight for them. I could smell rain in the air from time to time too. Here the riding was enjoyable with nice cloud cover and the cooler calm conditions made the time pass under without noticing.

Warren I fill the tank so as to not worry about wasting time using the two jerry cans nearer Cobar. My main concern was the approaching storms but you have to make time for a quick pic.

Nevertire and another quick pic and then that boring and dangerous straight stretch to Nyngan.

Liz is tickled pink at the name Nevertire. It had become her mantra.

I looked for this in Narromine forgetting it was in Nyngan.

That long straight stretch to Nyngan is where the wind started again. The clouds looking particularly ominous menacing and threatening and not long we are in the rain just before Hermidale, approx. 40kms west of Nyngan.

Looking back at what we've come through.

The rain eases and stops completely by the time we get to Cobar. It started to warm up again and we began to dry off. The closer to Cobar the warmer it got.

Here we stop for fuel and as I refuelling the local police sarge pulls up to the bowser next to me. I said something like, "...here's a bloke who would know." and asked if there was rain west of Cobar.
He said "No why, where you heading?"
"B/Hill." I reply.
"I don't recommend travelling that road at this time of night on a motorbike."
"No worries, am a local, travelled that road many times in my life at night. Thank you for the advice. As always, will take it easy."
"Emmdale shuts around eight." he concluded.

It's getting close to dusk now and judged that Bulla Bulla and not the Meadow Glen rest area would be ideal for a spot of supper, giving time for the sun to set and not be in my eyes as we ride west. It's here I change to the night visor. Liz is travelling ok apart from her knees so we have a good break here. I give her knees and legs a Bazz massage and this makes her laugh. It's warm and steamy at the rest area. The flies are oh-so-friendly, I don't mind and enjoy the smells of the rain on this outback landscape.

A lone traveller is all set to camp the night next to the shelter, he asks if we have enough food and drink. We thank him and say we're fine and he leaves us to our food and final home leg discussions. Soon we're riding into the glorious sunset with me forgetting to put in my ear plugs.

I stop on the parking area just off the main highway at MacCulloch's Range rest area about 60 odd kays further to put those ear plugs in and take me inner gloves off. Its too warm to wear them.
By now the night has set upon us and as we're about to continue the ride, a bus heading to Broken Hill passes and I hear, "Is that you Graig?" over the UHF. I replied in the negative and query is that the bus driver? No reply.

Off again and in no time pass the bus. As soon as I do I let the bus driver know that he could put his high beams on, no probs with me I say. Ok he says and does so. I reply all good. He mentions the pigs he saw near this section earlier in the morning and to be careful. I reply yes I saw them too, I'd keep my eyes peeled and thanked him for the heads up. Wilcannia comes and goes and the wind picks up again and so does the heat.

I feel Liz's helment bump into mine and I know she is starting to nod off. I make sure to keep an eye on her as our last refuelling stop is not too far up the road. All of a sudden from my right and out of nowhere a big buck roo was startled and proceeded to head towards the same point on the road that we were about to occupy. I kiss the freshly completed repairs to my bike goodbye but the roo, realizing I'm about to smack into it pauses and gives us just enough time to slip past on the far left, unscathed. This woke Liz up a little!

After dodging the endless roo, goats, cats, foxes (not many bunnies), we finally pulled up at the Dolo Hill rest area. Here emptying the full jerry cans which I've carted since Dunedoo into the tank and for the last time. About a cup of fuel was left so that's virtually 22 litres. Whilst refuelling the bus passes and we never see it or speak to the driver again.

Only 125 odd more kays to go! Liz was visibly tired but still very into the ride and was looking forward to home and washing off the days aches and pains. Her butt and knees were the worst affected. I was reasonably in good form. I guess having another person on board raised my level of "awareness" and the nods and yawns were not an issue. I certainly wasn't fatigued or tired.

The 1610kms came and went without pause, I did point it out to Liz and we both pumped our fists into the air. Celebrations were kept in check though as through this very dangerous section starting from Stephens Creek all the way into town, the last 20 or 20 kms can cost you more than time. Many a time I've seen the bouncy buggers right on the hill at the first 50kph sign on the city limits.

22.40hrs CST on the 21st March 2013
Safely through and soon we were coming into the Hill. The breeze was now quite cool and refreshing as we pulled into the Shell servo corner of Bromide and Williams Streets for our end docket with a 21 March 2013 10.40pm time stamp on it. I take a pic of the GPS and ODO for the record only as I'm keen to get Liz home and refreshed. Besides, those cold stouts were in the fridge calling to have the tops ripped off!

Another fantastic and successful IBA ride done. Thanks to Liz the pillion, what a girl! Surely her butt's made of iron!

Route taken

So what next? The next ride will be to participate in the FarRiders 2013 FarRally. Oh yeah, bring it on!

P.S. Liz receiving her IBA cert. package.