Electronic Ride Verification

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Here is a Spot link to my today's ride:

LINK

The ride is nothing special just collecting Bonus Locations for our local club Challenge. Besides participating in our club event I have been using these days to hone my Rally and Verified ride skills using only my iPhone. I use the iPhone to pay for fuel at the pump so only get a receipt on my phone which I screen grab and write on the actual mileage. I did this at the start and finish of the ride.

Could you experts look at the ride and tell me if:

a) The fuel receipts are acceptable
b) Any other observations

In anticipation thanks.

Sean

Premier Member
Certainly wouldn't be acceptable to use as verification of start and finish for a certified ride Dave as how would you get a picture of it alongside your Odo? Also in the true sense of the word its not actually a receipt. it would certainly appear to be a legitimate method of evidencing your location but I would suggest not compliant with the current rules, That said I have Absolutely No Authority and am No Expert, So don't listen to a word I say :p

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Certainly wouldn't be acceptable to use as verification of start and finish for a certified ride Dave as how would you get a picture of it alongside your Odo? Also in the true sense of the word its not actually a receipt. it would certainly appear to be a legitimate method of evidencing your location but I would suggest not compliant with the current rules, That said I have Absolutely No Authority and am No Expert, So don't listen to a word I say :p
If you have Spotwalla route that proves you were where you said you were and the mileage is decided by the verifier not your odometer?

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Ah rules! That is why I’m asking because technology is changing, apparently to make living easier, so I wondered if we would keep apace with developments.

Russ Black

Premier Member
Here is what I'd do. This kind of meshes the new way and the old way of documentation. I'd upload a photo of my odo into Spotwalla at the time of the Start, End and Fuel Stops as the mileage shown on your ODO only comes up once. Spotwalla time stamps photos with internet time (UTC), which also only comes once, when they are uploaded. You have no control over either of these numbers. Then I'd attach the screen shots of the receipts with the mileage shown, as you have it, or even add a number to show the order obtained, to the application e-mail. The certifier can match up the receipt and the location using the mileage, or number as they did way back in the olden days when dirt was still new. :cool:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
My understanding is:

1) The requirement is a Dated Business Receipt, which can be virtually any purchase, not just gasoline.

2) You can avoid a lot of confusion by just taking a picture of the receipt next to the odometer - simply writing the mileage on the receipt with no other evidence doesn't really meet the standard.

3) Taking pictures of you and/or your bike in front of something is only a requirement on certain runs, not all runs.

But I could be wrong.

As I once read a little while back, no one has ever been declined a certification because of too much documentation, but I would add that insufficient correct documentation will most certainly get you rejected.