End of ride gas receipt

marcham

Premier Member
I'm looking at doing either a SS1000 or or BB1500 as a first ride, riding a large loop starting and finishing in my home town.

My issue is that we have no local 24hr gas stations. Most gas stations are open 0630 till 2200.

It's not a problem getting a gas receipt on departure leaving at 0630-0700 but if I return after 1000pm, would a fast food (Mc Donald's) or ATM receipt be sufficient?

I'm not much of a morning person, so I'd rather not leave at 0400 for a SS 1000.

Suggestions?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I'm looking at doing either a SS1000 or or BB1500 as a first ride, riding a large loop starting and finishing in my home town.

My issue is that we have no local 24hr gas stations. Most gas stations are open 0630 till 2200.

It's not a problem getting a gas receipt on departure leaving at 0630-0700 but if I return after 1000pm, would a fast food (Mc Donald's) or ATM receipt be sufficient?

I'm not much of a morning person, so I'd rather not leave at 0400 for a SS 1000.

Suggestions?
Although we prefer a gas receipt, any computer-generated receipt showing date, time, and location is acceptable.

As an aside, many stations leave pay-at-the-pump pumps on after they close. It's worth taking a look if yours is one of them

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Wouldn't it be just as easy to adjust your route slightly and pick a receipt 10 or 20 miles from home while heading in. If not I would at least follow the picture of your odometer with the receipt in it protocol and probably follow up with a gas receipt the next morning.

Attachments

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Wouldn't it be just as easy to adjust your route slightly and pick a receipt 10 or 20 miles from home while heading in. If not I would at least follow the picture of your odometer with the receipt in it protocol and probably follow up with a gas receipt the next morning.
The protocol you mention is currently only available to Premier members. If the test period is successful, we will roll it out to the general membership next year. In the meantime, your last receipt is your official end time and location, so it is important that one obtains it at the conclusion of the ride, not the next morning.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hmmm.

I'm certain as @rneal55555 notes, there must be a convenience store/truck stop or other suitable location, open 24 hours to get that receipt...either at the beginning of the ride, or at the end of the ride. As Ira notes, gas receipt is the prefered receipt. More importantly, computer generated complete with time/date/location is the requirement. Adding this to amend...if you're in a rural part of Manitoba, you well may have to be creative in getting proper receipts at the beginning/end of your ride. It's noted that gas may not be available 24/7 in certain rural areas for various reasons.

If the route for an SS1000 takes ~16 hours, that still puts you beyond a 2200 stop time, provided the ride is starting at 0700.

I'm not certain that I'd be able to ride a ~17 hour ride, get home around 2400, then be up and back at that starting location right at 0630 to get that ending receipt from the same location. I'm sure similar rides have been successfully time managed.

This problem has a solution if you choose to attempt a first ride of BB1500.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Dear All, on year 2016 i did a coast to coast ride, from Virginia Beach, Va to Los Angeles,CA, at that time i never heard about IBA, and some time later i simply trashed all my receipts , but i still can provide my bank account statment for that days, give 4 or more witness contacts, and some pics and/or videos with taken dates.
Is it still possible to apply for a certificate? Thanks .

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Dear All, on year 2016 i did a coast to coast ride, from Virginia Beach, Va to Los Angeles,CA, at that time i never heard about IBA, and some time later i simply trashed all my receipts , but i still can provide my bank account statment for that days, give 4 or more witness contacts, and some pics and/or videos with taken dates.
Is it still possible to apply for a certificate? Thanks .
Doubtful.

Your first receipt is your official start time and location and your last receipt is your official end time and location. Bank statements normally show the date and location, but rarely if ever show the time of purchase. Without that crucial information, it would not be possible to establish your official times. Witnesses, photos and videos are just not sufficient documentation.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

What Ira said; plus - you would not have the other required items i.e. rider log with each stop recorded including odometer reading along with the dated business receipt (gas) with odometer reading recorded on the receipt. The IBA witness statements require the individual(s) to verify the mileage at the beginning and end of the ride. While I am sure your witnesses could attest that you left a specific location and arrived at another location - it would not be enough.