Farkle it yourself or buy rally bike ready to go

Jack D

Premier Member
I have listed a ready to go Goldwing for sale that belonged to a departed IBR finisher. I have been told by one person that most IBR types would rather do all the custom work theirselves even though it is more expensive. The owner's wife and I would like to see the bike used in the IBA community so we are reluctant to return it back to original condition. So for those of you who have or want to build rally ready bikes what is your opinion, which way would you rather do it? Thanks in advance for your replies.

IBA-Tiger

Hi Jack,
Just to add to the discussion.....
By Farkling a 'bike yourself, it makes troubleshooting somewhat easier, as you would know how and where the extraneous bits have been added in, especially for electrical items - and ways of bypassing if necessary (late at night in the rain........).
An already Farkled 'bike may sometimes mean 'undoing/redoing' some already fitted items to suit your own preference/standard.

[And no Peter, that's not a criticism.....]

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I took a look at the ad, and it seems like it is extremely well set up for rallying, so you're really going to limit yourself to those riders. For folks such as myself that do an "occassional" rally but a lot of 2-up LD riding, I'd have to remove a lot of cockpit stuff and the water system to make it suit my needs. If I were "bucks up" and wanted a second bike just for rallying, I'd be all over it.

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My vote is that it is ok to buy a well farkled bike that is rally ready. I did it about a year ago, and have no regrets about it, it had a known pedigree, so it helps to know the builder.

In Rex's bikes case, I saw it in person once, and have no doubt that Rex built a fine bike. I would have no hesitation in buying this if I were looking today.

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I always want the most stock or unmolested bike I can buy...... for me part of the fun is adding or modifying everything myself :)

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Jack, I like it both ways.

For us foreigners who manage to get over the Pacific, the Pond or Mr Trump's 'Wall' to have a crack at one of your great rallies, the temptation to buy a ready-built bike is very strong.

I did.

I bought a fully farkled USA FJR sight unseen over the net - the one on which you did so much spanner work for me in your garage
. To make optimal use of that bike I built one back here in Oz to basically the same specs so when I hopped off the plane it felt like I was hopping onto 'my' FJR.

Although a tiny market, Rex's bike would be great for someone who needs a passport to enter a US rally.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I can tell you Rex held nothing back when he setup that gold Wing for rallying and LD riding. I am sure it is ready to rock n roll.