Favourite Road

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
No I listen to the Long Riders Radio podcast every guest on the podcast is asked for their favourite road so I'm asking that question.

What is your favourite road and why.

I'll start it off then
I competed in the first Euro Tour 2014, on the 2nd leg I visited the checkpoint Podoli, Czech Republic (Battle of Austerlitz Memorial) then to Blansko, Czech Republic. I travelled along a road called the 373 north from the memorial, the road was sublime through a forest the bends were a mix fast and flowing, tight but open allowing good vision and the tarmac was great, offering grip levels you can only dream off in the UK. My description hasn't done the ride justice. Is the road as good I don't know but the memory is.

In the UK I enjoy the B6276 leaving Brough north it's a great road the view when the low cloud allows is stunning but I can't recall the last time I road it in the dry, always seems to be raining and blowing a gale. But that's part of the fun

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Having ridden most of the top ten roads in the World my favourite road is the one I'm on with fine (ish) weather and the bike and me working as one. We travel to ride the perfect road but most often the perfect road is the one we are on.

I think the highlights for me are:

Avenue of Giants, California
Buller Gorge, South Island New Zealand
Bradbury Back Road, Co.Durham.
Heading South of the Millau Viaduct.
Most any road in Norway.
Next week our road outside assuming Boris lets us out!

Ian M

• A701 both ways from Moffat to Leadburn; surface a bit poor in places but whenever I’m at Glasgow office there’s always an excuse to ride this, there are better roads, better surfaces, roads with no timber lorries but it’s the default route to Edinburgh and back to the M6 from the east side of Scotland never tire despite creeping speed restrictions,
  • Anything in Aberdeenshire and the road over to the ski station to Grantown-on-Spey
  • A54 from Bosley Traffic lights to just before 2nd specs camera far better than the Cat n Fiddle – my local anti-depression road
Off the top of my head all ridden and driven many times

Carter ways heads to stanhope onto Egglestone then onto Brough
Alston to Middleton
Alnwick – rothbury – Bellingham – hexham
A68 Jedburgh to Corbridge best ridden flat out
A697
A747
Leeming bar to Sedburgh
B5055
B797
B740
Kings Lynn to Attlebridge which I will be doing this Friday
B660
B4000
B4494
A272
Anything around Lampeter
A481
B4372
A488
Melton Mowbray to Bourne which I will be doing this Friday
B1225
B4391
B4580
A861
Anything Parc naturel régional d'Armorique particularly around Huelgoat

bmbob

IBA Member
A712, just keep an eye out for timber lorries.
A708, both ways.
A483, mind the sheep!!
But any road once we are allowed out to play.......
Stay safe
Bob

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I'm liking our road at the moment, workman are digging a kerbside mini trench and laying tubes for fibre optic broadband cable. If only the utility companies would join in and lay a gas pipe alongside!

+1 the road you're riding even if it has an 'M' prefix it's better than all this hands, face, space and isolation, remember when 'having a bubble' was having a laugh?

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
  • A701 both ways from Moffat to Leadburn; surface a bit poor in places but whenever I’m at Glasgow office there’s always an excuse to ride this, there are better roads, better surfaces, roads with no timber lorries but it’s the default route to Edinburgh and back to the M6 from the east side of Scotland never tire despite creeping speed restrictions,
  • Anything in Aberdeenshire and the road over to the ski station to Grantown-on-Spey
  • A54 from Bosley Traffic lights to just before 2nd specs camera far better than the Cat n Fiddle – my local anti-depression road
Off the top of my head all ridden and driven many times

Carter ways heads to stanhope onto Egglestone then onto Brough
Alston to Middleton
Alnwick – rothbury – Bellingham – hexham
A68 Jedburgh to Corbridge best ridden flat out
A697
A747
Leeming bar to Sedburgh
B5055
B797
B740
Kings Lynn to Attlebridge which I will be doing this Friday
B660
B4000
B4494
A272
Anything around Lampeter
A481
B4372
A488
Melton Mowbray to Bourne which I will be doing this Friday
B1225
B4391
B4580
A861
Anything Parc naturel régional d'Armorique particularly around Huelgoat
The A701 north from Moffat is great.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
A39 all of it.
Ambleside to Ravenglass via Wrynose and hardnott passes.
Brecon to Carmarthen A40, A5 up to Anglesey.
Darlington to Edinburgh A68.
Erskine bridge to Inverness A82.
Inverness to JoG A9/A99
Kendal to Hawes A684
I could go on:D
Oh and the Kurfurstendamm in Berlin dead straight never rode a bike on it but had a couple of humongous pub crawls:eek::eek:

Last edited:

Firstpeke

Oh my goodness, erm.... Scotland.

Picking one is hard, but I would say the A87 from Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh would be high on the list....

Then the A832 Garve to Kinlochewe..... Laxford bridge to Kylescue... okay so most roads in the north west of Scotland.... and of course the A701..... bits of the A76 north of Dumfries..... and many, many more.