Fingerless gloves

Hello,

Looking for suggestions for fingerless gloves. I want protection but also want to be able to eat snacks, work GPS and similar activities.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

-Mark

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hello,

Looking for suggestions for fingerless gloves. I want protection but also want to be able to eat snacks, work GPS and similar activities.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

-Mark
A lot of us have taken our normal gloves and cut the tip of the index finger and thumb off. It works great for me. It allows you a custom fit and you can practice on a pair that you may be ready to replace anyway. Works great for snacks and screens if you have those too.

A lot of us have taken our normal gloves and cut the tip of the index finger and thumb off. It works great for me. It allows you a custom fit and you can practice on a pair that you may be ready to replace anyway. Works great for snacks and screens if you have those too.
Lew,

Thanks for the reply. I knew a IBR veteran would have a few suggestions. I have a high milage pair of gloves that would be a good candidate.

-Mark

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Aerostich Elkskin Roper comp or Elkskin Guantlet gloves. I've never had any problems snacking or GPS poking with gloves on.

This borders on the edge of wearing modular helmets flipped up all the time. I.E. why pay for protection, then deliberately not use it?

Side note, if you're a rider that removes your gloves for gas stops, stop doing that and learn to do the task with your gloves on. Fix the things you struggle with instead of wasting the time removing gloves.

igneouss

Premier Member
An aside about gloves: Do not buy gloves with carbon fiber knuckle armor. If you crash the fibers get embedded in your fingers. Carbon fibers are virtually invisible on X-rays. You can imagine what the surgeon has to do to find those fibers...

Aerostich Elkskin Roper comp or Elkskin Guantlet gloves. I've never had any problems snacking or GPS poking with gloves on.

This borders on the edge of wearing modular helmets flipped up all the time. I.E. why pay for protection, then deliberately not use it?

Side note, if you're a rider that removes your gloves for gas stops, stop doing that and learn to do the task with your gloves on. Fix the things you struggle with instead of wasting the time removing gloves.
Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I have a pair of Elkskin Guantlet gloves. for cold weather riding. I find them bulky for fine motor use of hands, so I need your expertise to use these without taking them off. I will need to know your technique for CC storage & retrieval, retrieving a pen for writing milage on a receipt, and to hold a receipt for taking a picture for documentation.

Thanks for sharing your techniques.

-Mark

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
CC storage is in a simple 2-3 card 'wallet' kept in my Klim sleeve pocket or in the front lower snap pocket of my mesh jacket. One that I use was a freebie from a moto show, the other is similar to what the link goes to. Flexible enough to be able to bend it a little to aid in grabbing the card with gloved fingers. I don't reach into the sleeve pocket, I push the card wallet from outside the sleeve to make it poke out the unzipped pocket so I can grab it.
0287FAA6-2DC1-4D8B-AA42-5474327A4D5A_1_105_c.jpeg
Note National Parks pass (with old driver's license underneath), on the outside pocket of the plastic freebie wallet.
EF93B222-4AB1-464C-BFA4-FEEE8E3A7CB5_1_105_c.jpeg
Gas card and Amex on inside. My Chevron cards work in almost any gas station as a "Discover" card. For those that it doesn't, and hotels, I carry the Amex. My other card wallet has a Chevron and a Visa with tap to pay. Note that Chevron will give you multiple cards on the same account for no extra cost. I have 4 for my account, so they stay with jackets and main wallet, plus a hidden spare.
E2E489EC-34C6-4BDB-8BBD-F88DAC045FEA_1_105_c.jpeg
Other jacket:
A9770B4A-B014-4A97-B72D-31F1962FE694_1_105_c.jpeg
DE97896B-B421-41AB-A108-FE377714D6DA_1_105_c.jpeg

I know a few people that have a CC on a retractable leash and use a tap to pay card, but the leash is long enough to insert in the pump as needed. FWIW, I do not dismount when getting gas. I realize that is not everyone's preference. It's not uncommon for me to not even put the side stand down for a splash and go fuel stop. Camera is also on a tether in a jacket pocket for photos of DBR and Odo.

Pen can be inside jacket slipped into existing pocket or with a self adhesive band of velcro, stuck to matching velcro patch on tank, tankbag or dash, as space allows. Some like to tether the pens as well, for high speed use. A cut down mini-clipboard works pretty well mounted to a Ram ball on the bars if you lack a good spot to place DBRs for odo photos.

Last edited:
CC storage is in a simple 2-3 card 'wallet' kept in my Klim sleeve pocket or in the front lower snap pocket of my mesh jacket. One that I use was a freebie from a moto show, the other is similar to what the link goes to. Flexible enough to be able to bend it a little to aid in grabbing the card with gloved fingers. I don't reach into the sleeve pocket, I push the card wallet from outside the sleeve to make it poke out the unzipped pocket so I can grab it.
View attachment 11749
Note National Parks pass (with old driver's license underneath), on the outside pocket of the plastic freebie wallet.
View attachment 11750
Gas card and Amex on inside. My Chevron cards work in almost any gas station as a "Discover" card. For those that it doesn't, and hotels, I carry the Amex. My other card wallet has a Chevron and a Visa with tap to pay. Note that Chevron will give you multiple cards on the same account for no extra cost. I have 4 for my account, so they stay with jackets and main wallet, plus a hidden spare.
View attachment 11751
Other jacket:
View attachment 11753
View attachment 11754

I know a few people that have a CC on a retractable leash and use a tap to pay card, but the leash is long enough to insert in the pump as needed. FWIW, I do not dismount when getting gas. I realize that is not everyone's preference. It's not uncommon for me to not even put the side stand down for a splash and go fuel stop. Camera is also on a tether in a jacket pocket for photos of DBR and Odo.

Pen can be inside jacket slipped into existing pocket or with a self adhesive band of velcro, stuck to matching velcro patch on tank, tankbag or dash, as space allows. Some like to tether the pens as well, for high speed use. A cut down mini-clipboard works pretty well mounted to a Ram ball on the bars if you lack a good spot to place DBRs for odo photos.
Thanks for the reply.

-Mark

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We all have our own threshold for risk management. If fingerless gloves work for yours, that's your call. Someone used to sell moto gloves as Lew described with removable tips on the forefinger and thumb, but I think touch screen fingertip technology made those disappear. I hope you find what you want and works for you.

For me, it took practice to get comfortable with keeping my gloves on, and problem solving for how I stored my snacks and CCs, where I kept my phone, pen, etc. I didn't figure it out in one shot. I just kept trying different things until I found what worked for me. Years of endurance rallies and seeing what others did helped. Small Glad plastic containers instead of zip loc bags for snacks, for example. Unwrapped beef sticks cut into pieces instead of wrapped long sticks are another example.

Gloves with removable forefinger (not moto gloves)

All gloves break in. My elkskin guantlets always get better after they get wet and are worn dry while riding. My main go-to gloves are a no-gauntlet ventilated glove and the elkskin gauntlets. I wish all my riding gloves had that little rubber wiper strip on the back of the thumb like the elkskin guantlets do.

Bargain price Noru ventilated gloves.
2699F37A-1AA0-4263-A583-58876D525529_1_105_c.jpeg

8F8A4E15-5771-4BAD-B168-4000B95AB9A5_1_105_c.jpeg

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
To further clarify, I have only done this to my vented gloves. I have a pair of non-vented and a pair of heated/rain/heavy that are both fully intact. I rode a season using fingerless (all fingers) and didn't care for that approach.

On the adapted pair, I trimmed very little from the two fingers on each hand, with my three outer fingers still fully intact. The gloves are providing 90%-95% coverage, and the heel and outer (pinky) edge are the most important in my experience.

Individuals should apply their own experience and comfort levels to details like this.

igneouss

Premier Member
'Glove Tacts' are widely available. They stick on the fingers of your gloves and solve the problem of using touch screens. I've used them through 10,000+ miles and they work well. For gas stops and what-not I take my gloves off.

Life lesson: Do not smooth wet concrete with bare fingertips. By the time you feel discomfort you've sanded little holes in the pads. Uh huh. A hot shower is an agony. It's fingerless gloves for me for awhile. Four days in and I'm still typing with two undamaged digits.