First Aborted Planned IBA Ride

I have had a pretty full summer. A 3 week trip with The Wife to the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. After that trip I did a motorcycle tour of Alaska which included Homer, Valdez, the Dalton, and Hatcher Pass. My last SS1000 was in May, so I felt like on the 7th of August would be a good day to ride a SS1000. My plan was to ride SS1000 to Rochester, MN, the first day. Then ride over to Wisconsin to visit some friends for a couple of days before heading to the UP of Michigan. This would be followed by visiting relatives in Detroit then to Cincinnati to visit more relatives. Then another SS1000 home to Dallas.

I have had trouble with my neck off and on for about 20 years. I have tried meds, injections, and therapy. They used to work. While on the Dalton my right arm would at times start hurting. The motorcycle I was on did not have cruise so I'd have to get up speed the drop my right arm down to my side to get it to stop hurting. This wasn't pleasant but manageable especially since it was not constant. It did not keep me from doing what I wanted to do while in Alaska.

For my SS1000 on August 7 I had all fuel stops planned and reservations in Rochester. I left out a little later than I had planned but still early. I did not get 15 miles from home when my arm began hurting severely. I did my normal routine and all was OK, for a short time. Once I was on the interstate I set my cruise and all was fine as long as I did not have to put my right hand on the handlebar very long. I should have turned around then.

Less than 100 miles up the interstate I pulled into a rest stop to reevaluate the SS1000 idea. At that point I decided the SS1000 was over. This is the first IBA ride I planned to do but had to abort. I did manage to make it to Wisconsin but it took me two full days without going to Rochester. I had to stop often to relax my arm even with cruise.

After visiting my two sets of friends in Wisconsin, I headed home. It took me 3 days to get home. The very next day I called my doctor to schedule surgery. I was out of options. When it interfered with my motorcycle riding I knew it was time.

I am on my 5th day since surgery. All is doing fine. I drove today. Doc said two weeks for motorcycle but he also said do whatever I want to do if it doesn't hurt. I am sure I'll be on the motorcycle soon. I guess after 30+ certified rides aborting one is OK.

Last edited:
I signed up for the MS 5000, MS5000.org so I need to be healed soon so I can put on the miles. The first 2 days of September I only got in 500 miles.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I signed up for the MS 5000, MS5000.org so I need to be healed soon so I can put on the miles. The first 2 days of September I only got in 500 miles.
Do what you need to do the get healthy you can always buy your way to Finisher status at the end if need be. I had to do that a couple years ago when life/work got in the way of my riding I was short miles at the end so I just upped my donation.

Rochester? Good question. Who would want to go there unless they were sick. It was a good, somewhat strait shot for a SS1000 before heading over to Wisconsin plus I wanted to visit a friend there. Turned out the friend wasn't going to be there so I did not miss anything.

Doc says I am doing well after surgery but I will not agree until I can put some miles on two wheels. I did get in two very short rides 10 days after surgery but I was sore so I decided to chill for a few more days.

HACKLE

Heal well Jerry so you can get back to riding. After health all other things fall in line. After, make it home safely, health is number 1. Cheers.