First Day of Autumn Ride

mikeshell

Premier Member
Hey folks,

I have a ride planned for Sept 22. It's kind of a big circle. Here is the link to the plan.
https://goo.gl/maps/MVj9ck5QZXZmmHjcA

I will be running my Spotwalla and Rever to record the ride, but curious if you see the best "corners" for gas stops.

I see two good ones... Nitro, WV and Wytheville, VA...I think Elizabethtown, Ky is the most obvious.

Thanks,
Mike

PS...this is my second SS1000...still no confirmation from my Summer Soltice SS1000

CB650F

Premier Member
That ride doesn't look to have many corners. It's really a big loop. I don't see any corners that can easily be cut short. Spotwalla will show that you were on that route every few minutes anyway. The whole thing about getting a DBR at a corner of a ride is to ensure you didn't cut the corner and actually rode where you claim to have. If you were to take I-65 to I-64 in Louisville, but didn't have Spotwalla tracking you, I'd recommend a DBR at that corner to prove you didn't take 265 around and shorten that corner. You've got Spotwalla tracking you, and no real corners to cut, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you get a starting and ending DBR at the Walmart or Shell station that looks to be about a block from what I assume to be your house. You don't want to miss those very important DBRs. Other than those two, I'd just keep track of fuel stops along the way.

If you're worried, maybe schedule a fuel-and-food stop in Elizabethtown and Wytheville just to be on the safe side. You get off and on the interstate at those locations so they are corners in my mind. Nitro (Charleston) doesn't look like a real corner to me. You'll be on I-64 for miles before and after there. I suppose you could get off I-64 in Milton and take highway 60 to Charleston, but that wouldn't make sense. You'd ride 1 or maybe 2 fewer miles, but it would cost you 15 minutes of traffic. Nobody in their right mind would do that. Heck, I wouldn't do that and I'm not so sure I have my right mind...

And my usual disclaimer: I'm not cool enough to be on the verification team, so take my advice knowing I could be totally wrong.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I didn't look at the map on a big screen, but a simple, easy, and (not necessarily) bulletproof way to know where you need a corner marking?

Anytime the road number changes, and you're really heading in a totally different direction - get a DBR.

Again, the whole point is prove to a verification team member you were at where you claimed you were at.

mikeshell

Premier Member
Thank you guys for taking the time to review and respond.

Yep, Elizabethtown and Wytheville are definite stops...I'll probably make the Nitro WV stop...I'll probably need gas anyways.
I did receive my Summer Solstice cert email today...so the Autumn Equinox will be ride 2 of the Four Seasons cert.

Mike

yakulis

Premier Member
I am not sure if this is right or wrong, but when I map my route on Google Maps, if it naturally routes me off my planned route (meaning short cut), then I add a stop to get a receipt so that the route stays on the correct path that I want. That avoids any questions regarding short cuts and Google Maps shows the actual route and miles before I ever start.

I also use my inReach and Spotwalla, but that isn't supposed to be the primary verification.

Looking at your route, it appears that your stops naturally route to your path, so I believe you are all good!

mikeshell

Premier Member
I am not sure if this is right or wrong, but when I map my route on Google Maps, if it naturally routes me off my planned route (meaning short cut), then I add a stop to get a receipt so that the route stays on the correct path that I want. That avoids any questions regarding short cuts and Google Maps shows the actual route and miles before I ever start.

I also use my inReach and Spotwalla, but that isn't supposed to be the primary verification.

Looking at your route, it appears that your stops naturally route to your path, so I believe you are all good!

Great tip!

Mike721

Premier Member
Congratulations.
Looks like a nice ride. I seem to always do straight out and back rides, i need to start planning more loops, at least the scenery changes then :)