First IBA Attempt

I posted this over at the Far Road forum and TJ asked me to post it here as well. Not certified yet*** here's hoping.

1:15am, nah too early - go back to sleep you numbskull....
3:15am, still too early? The ensuing debate in the head means tells me I'm now awake - let's get going.

Fueled up and first photo done @ 3:31am and I hit the road, excited, a little daunted with a hint of self doubt - can I really do 1610kms today? I am not even 200m down the road where 3 Roos state at me from the roads edge. Is this an ominous warning - an excuse to quit early? I ain't even out of town yet!

Anyway, I choose to quickly move past those thoughts and get in with it. Biggles recent from the library blogs had got me onto Jupiter's travels - he is now coming to the end of the South American tour and his North American tales are just as fascinating.

200kms east and and I take a right hand turn onto the Dawson hwy now heading South. I am enjoying the early km's and the hint of warmth as the sun now lifts above the horizon. As I approach Jambin the biggest red I have seen in a long time comes bouncing out of the nearby timber. Brakes hard on it seems certain that we will meet head on, but as it takes it's last bounce onto the road it seems like it's eyes meet mine and instantly light up with the same sense of dread that is now racing throughout me. It turns onto its side, using its legs like a figure skater does to come to a screeching halt, earning itself a nice gravel rash up its hind quarter to go with it, coming to a stop on the other side of the road up against the double white lines. I can take a breath as I pass it by, both of his legs moving rapidly underneath him without any traction as he tries to make his way back to from where he came.
Oh boy, it was an ominous warning - how many more encounter may there be today?

A bit further down the road and I hit Bilo, a dash of fuel, don't forget the photo and straight back at it. This is the first time I have headed south down through Mundubbera and Jandowae. And what I can tell you is that Queensland roads are shit. It seems like the idea of road repairs up here in the sunshine state are to slap a lower speed limit sign up and leave that for the next 10 years. I thought it was just a central Queensland thing but no - it's everywhere outside the south east.

I stop for fuel at Darr creek wheee the station attendant was kind enough to show me how to turn on the pump at the very old school bowser, she almost anticipated it like most traveler's would need the same guidance. Pretty cool they are still working good.

As I hit Dalby the old iPhone gives me a few options, and I choose the avoid highways scenic route, figuring the extra k's may be needed and I was still feeling quite chipper. The Condamine plains however, proved more to be an opportunity to give the bike, and my legs a number of roadside washes. It is unbelievable how much water is down there, and with so much more on the forecast I wonder if you southern folk will be able to make it to Hebel at the end of this month.

Even with all the rain about there where plenty of other bikes out on the road, many kitted out like they where making the most of the long weekend. Another fuel stop at pampas and then up to Spring Bluff for the far road treasure hunt. There where plenty of people around and I must of looked a bit silly the way I was looking for the treasure, but after biggles let me know where it exactly was it is clear I had a man's look and it awaits for another to find it. Back in the road with the gps set to home.

Through to Miles was pretty unadventurous and I enjoyed listening to the footy finals commentary as the kms ticked over. From there it was up through Wandoan, Taroom, Theodore and then Banana. There was a mob of roos that did their best to have a tangle with me, but plenty of road meant I could out run them to the other side and get past them before we both meet our maker.

From Banana things started to get interesting, the mix of lightly drizzling ran and bugs smacking the visor was making visibility a bit of a challenge at times. Then the was the pheasant type animal that did go under the front tyre, the echidna walking up the side of the road, the occasional cat but most of all, the potholes outta nowhere all keeping me totally alert and on my game.

From here the goal was getting back in the Capricorn Highway, it was starting to feel like my safe place if that makes any sense. Get on the cap hwy and only 160kms of easy riding to get home. But it seemed like the hardest, as fatigue finally became a factor that I had surprisingly not had to deal with yet. A quick stop at bluff and comet to shake the legs and move the blood did the trick, but as I pulled back into Emerald, with the odometer stating 1743kms for the day I was pretty sure I didn't have another 300kms in me. I take my hat off to anyone who has done the bb2000. Home at 10:40pm to the wife waiting anxiously and happy to see me. Already thinking about the next one. Hopefully I have submitted everything correctly....

Skidoo

Premier Member
Thanks for sharing Tevvy.

Darn Roos, yep they can spoil the moment until you refocus on the bigger picture.
sounds like you had a good mix of weather and bowsers lol. Start times are interesting, after a while you’ll work out what works for you.

Potholes, yep they are appearing everywhere and growing in size.

All the best with your certification and glad your planing your next ride already, that’s the way to do it, it’s not addictive you know!

The first IBA ride is always the hardest as is processing the paperwork. They all get easier, or at least more interesting.

Again thanks and hope to catch up on the road somewhere Tevvy.

Thanks @Skidoo i am an early riser so was more concerned about the late finish. Roos haven’t been an issue for ages with the good wet season taking them away from the roads edge, I normally try to avoid going west or directly south too much as that is more typically too country. Found the overall ride much easier than I anticipated which gives me confidence for the next one down the track.

tabledrain

IBR Finisher
Tevvy,
Whenever I read a first ride report like this it just fills me with the sensation that I had when I finished my first one. A sense of satisfaction, a little tired but strangely energised and thinking about the next. Well done mate I'm really pleased for you and may I say a SS2000 is just as easy once you have a ryhthym going..

Fatman

Well done Tevvy on your completion of your first SS1600. They will get easier from here on a you learn what works for you eg exercise while riding, hydration both water and electrolytes, use of power naps if necessary etc. Regarding roos, have a read of my "Go get a rooTED" post from years ago, it may be of interest to you. https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/go-and-get-a-rooted.1347/

Congratulations again Tevvy nice bit of riding.

Edit.. added link above

Last edited:

Biggles

Premier Member
This might be useful.

It's at -27.359394, 153.038361

As you can see from the signs, there are dockets available. The IGA is open for extended hours, longer than the 7-Eleven.
The only roadside sign is a bit hard to get your bike safely near it at -27.366536, 153.036789