First IBA Ride - Streamlined Ride Application Processing via IBA Premier

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Asking for some feedback please on your thoughts why IBA Premier's "First Ride No Fee" option, which was announced 6 months ago, has been used by only three IBA Premier riders since announced.
IBA Premier extends complimentary streamlined ride verification processing for a rider on their first-time IBA ride when mentored, ridden with, and both the Premier Member and first-time IBA rider's ride certification applications are submitted together via IBA Premier Applications.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I can't answer for anyone else, but no one in my area has ever expressed an interest in being an IBA member. I'm a lone wolf in that regard.

All the endurance riders I know are scattered around the country.

If I meet anyone who expressed an interest in it, I'd be happy to talk with them. We're kind of a unique bunch, though.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Shawn. I hear yah. Only one rider I've ridden with over the years has shown interest in LD riding. Together we rode the United States Marine Corps Birthday 1000 in which he became an IBA member. He cherishes his number, certificate, and proudly has his IBA plate-backer on his Dyna! Yep, agree, there are not a lot of us out there. Thanks, Doug

WY88

Premier Member
The one person I ride with won't use a credit card for gas. He goes inside, waits in line, prepays whatever, fuels up, goes back inside for his change.... I'd have a nervous breakdown waiting for him, and I'd surely ride off and leave him if it were a BBG. I've almost taken off when just out on a leisure ride.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Although I knew a lot of IBA members before I became one myself, it's extremely rare for me to do an IBA ride with someone else. You've really got to be comfortable with the other rider(s) riding styles to make it work well and not be a source of aggravation. Similar ranges, pee stop needs, desire for eating methods the same, etc. Generally by the time I've gotten that comfortable with another rider, they've already become an IBA member long before.

Let's face it, it's an individual sport. We are challenging ourselves, not going for a group ride.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Although I knew a lot of IBA members before I became one myself, it's extremely rare for me to do an IBA ride with someone else. You've really got to be comfortable with the other rider(s) riding styles to make it work well and not be a source of aggravation. Similar ranges, pee stop needs, desire for eating methods the same, etc. Generally by the time I've gotten that comfortable with another rider, they've already become an IBA member long before.

Let's face it, it's an individual sport. We are challenging ourselves, not going for a group ride.
I hear yah Eric and know what you mean. Not often will two remain friends after doing this kind of riding together. The above mentioned ride was with another well experienced IBA rider and also with two awesome riders who were on their first IBA ride. We had a great time… comms sync’ed, sharing tips, asking and answering question the whole… 22 hours… yup, for a SS1000. And we’re all still friends. Kinda rare I’d say.

EddyC

IBA Member
I 'd like to consider a LD ride a personal archievement. In my humble point of view, riding with another rider divides the value of reaching the goal.
I agree that two or more could support one another during the ride, but should one consider that ride in that case as a personal or a team effort?
For myself, riding LD solo is a true ride, where all the effort and pride goes to the right individual.
Stay Safe... Ed.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did a SS1k on the ride in to LDX with a new person, and the trick for me was taking a step back and letting them take the lead.. it's their ride, after all, so I let them plan the route, lead the ride, set the pace, etc. I just let go any personal yardsticks for ride pace or stop efficiency, and honestly had the best time I've had on a ride in quite some time. I mean, sure, I kept an eye on the clock, so I could gently nudge them back onto the bike after 10-15 minutes of downtime, but it's a SS1k, we all know you've got _plenty_ of time (especially out here in the west with our fast, empty highways..) I was clear and honest about how much time we had left, and made sure to be a positive cheerleader, pointing out at stops (or mid ride!) when we'd crossed big mile stones.. "335 miles! Now we just have to go home and get something, then come back here, and we're done!" or "Yes! 500 miles! Halfway there!" and "850! Wasn't your last record day around that? Oh man, we're so close, let's do this!"

Anyways, they're still talking to me, so I guess it went ok :)

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I had one taker this spring but he just never could seem to commit to an actual date, something always came up. We ride often locally together so its still a possibility, as he seems like he would like to do it. I think its a cool program for sure.

mkao1248

Premier Member
I have been trying to nudge some of the local BMW group riders into doing a first time SS1000 but no takers so far. A couple years ago I did get 3 VFW Riders to go with me and complete an Eggsanity 1000 Silver for their IBA certifications and as Kerri mentioned I just kept nudging everyone along at the milestone markers and stops. It was a great experience to get others certified.

Tele

Premier Member
I have quite a few mates I ride with regularly on day rides and overnight adventures. They know of my interest in LD rides, but their eyes glaze over when I start explaining the general process needed to plan and execute a registered IBA ride. For them, 500 miles is more than enough in each 24 hours. When I point out that all we need to do at that point is to turn around and ride home, they laugh and head to the nearest bar. Two lads have expressed some passing interest, but have yet to commit to any actual ride plan. One day maybe.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did my first Iron Butt ride, a BBG in 1998. It was a solo ride and I recall it was a great challenge for me then. Very enjoyable with no issues.

Then in 2000, long time friend and rider Rob Lentini and I decided we needed to do a 50CC. Rob lived in Tucson at the time and had also done his BBG, I lived in Clovis, NM. I rode over to his house, and we headed to SDO right away. A quick overnight and were were feet in the water and headed to JAX.

Rob and I had done a lot of riding together so there were no unknowns to riding style. If Rob was still with us, I'd ride another 50CC with him in a heartbeat.

With the right partner, sharing a 50CC with a friend is an unparalleled experience.

Attachments

Russ Black

Premier Member
I have been trying to intice a few friends of mine to earn their first IBA certified ride using this option, but haven't had any takers yet. I'm open to helping strangers earn their membership using this option. I'm currently doing the 12 Ides Insanity so I am doing a ride every month anyway. I live just south of Houston and I've been plotting a SS1000 route geared for small CC bikes. It only has 3 miles of Interstate in one direction and 5 in the other and that is out in the middle of nowhere. I plotted it in Basecamp, loaded it into my GPS and rode it on my Goldwing last week. Basecamp routed me onto roads that don't and never have existed. I used the tracks from the GPS to correct the route in Basecamp and will be riding it on my 650 next month.