First Iron Butt Attempt Clarification

Hey Everyone: Newbie Question,

I plan on attempting my first Iron Butt ride in a couple of weeks, from L. A. to east Texas to see the eclipse on 4/8. It's 1500+ miles one-way, so I have to travel the whole distance to get to my destination anyway, Iron Butt or no Iron Butt.

I read that I can only qualify for a 1000/24hr. certification on my first submission.

Assuming I correctly document everything, including the first 1000/24 hr. segment of my trip, will I only be eligible for the SS 1000 certification, as seems the case, or will I be able to claim the BB1500/Silver/Gold ride as well?

The plain language suggests no, but wondering if documenting the 1000 on my way would make a difference. Since I have to travel 1500 mi. anyway, it seems a shame to not be able to get both.

Replies appreciated,
Jeff

I plan on attempting my first Iron Butt ride in a couple of weeks, from L. A. to east Texas to see the eclipse on 4/8. It's 1500+ miles one-way, so I have to travel the whole distance to get to my destination anyway, Iron Butt or no Iron Butt.

I read that I can only qualify for a 1000/24hr. certification on my first submission.

Assuming I correctly document everything, including the first 1000/24 hr. segment of my trip, will I only be eligible for the SS 1000 certification, as seems the case, or will I be able to claim the BB1500/Silver/Gold ride as well?

The plain language suggests no, but wondering if documenting the 1000 on my way would make a difference. Since I have to travel 1500 mi. anyway, it seems a shame to not be able to get both.

Replies appreciated,
Jeff

Jeff,

Ira will chime in but you can do the normal Bun Burner. It is the Bun Burner Gold that you cannot subimit.

Ride safe,

-Mark

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff

Replies appreciated,
Jeff
Although completing and having certified a Saddlesore 1000 as a first IBA certificate ride is common, there are a variety of other rides that are acceptable. In this particular case, you could complete a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours) to meet the requirement. And if you complete the first 1,000 miles in 24 hours or less and document your location at that mileage, you could apply for both the Saddlesore 1000 and Bun Burner 1500 certificates on the same ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Crafty_rider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ira,

Would Jeff also be able to apply for the Solar Eclipse (or Solar Eclipse Gold) if he is at the viewing location at the end of his ride (and within a 24-hour/1,000 mile window) or does viewing the eclipse have to be your halfway point and then you continue the ride after the eclipse...? That is, providing he is using Spotwalla (as per the rules), which is rare for a first-timer...but I see Jeff is trying to get it working...

Don't want to muddy the waters (or darken the skies...see what I did there...;)), just curious...that's all...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira,

Would Jeff also be able to apply for the Solar Eclipse (or Solar Eclipse Gold) if he is at the viewing location at the end of his ride (and within a 24-hour/1,000 mile window) or does viewing the eclipse have to be your halfway point and then you continue the ride after the eclipse...? That is, providing he is using Spotwalla (as per the rules), which is rare for a first-timer...but I see Jeff is trying to get it working...

Don't want to muddy the waters (or darken the skies...see what I did there...;)), just curious...that's all...

Cheers!
The rules only specify that you need to ride at least 300 miles to your viewing location and document it. It does not specify that it needs to take place in the middle of the ride. So you can document it at any point after the 300-mile point.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association