First Saddle Sore - TX

Howdy, ya'll!

I am planning a route for my first saddle sore 1000, to take place in early October, weather permitting. If I do a loop entirely within Texas, does that also meet the requirements for an in-state ride as well? https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/instate/index.html

Here's a link to my current route, it's a bit heavy on the mileage, but that's mostly due to the outline I'm trying to create. https://goo.gl/maps/iSe6N95uGApzaxue8

I want to make sure I get the appropriate documentation. Are DBR's required at each corner of the route? Columbus, El Campo, etc.

Attachments

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I would say Yes and Yes, You may not absolutely need each of those DBR's but they don't seen excessive and won't hurt.

As IRA is fond of saying no ride has ever been denied for to much documentation.

c10

I recently did this route from Sugar land with a member getting his 1st SS1000 . We ran into a great deal of traffic and issues all along the border of Texas to mexico . Uvalde and areas were not pleasant pass throughs as thought . Our time line was November late 2021

Russ Black

Premier Member
From Del Rio to El Campo is more or less the path the riders take on the epic Ride Around Texas. A whole bunch of riders just completed that ride this past week at the Big As Texas Ride-a-palooza. Some even earned the Gold level. I live in Texas and I have done at least one SS or BB each month this past year encompassing at least a portion of south Texas. The Boarder Patrol checkpoints are not a big deal especially on a motorcycle. Have your visor open and they will just wavy you through. I've only seen one that had some backed up traffic (Fortunatly I was going in the opposite direction) but not more that 1/4 miles. I would not shy away from your proposed route. Obtaining a DBR in the corner cities of your route is perfect. Might I suggest locating the exact gas station or place of business that you are plan to get your DBR's from. That will reduce some of the stress. Plan your ride and ride your plan. You can also earn the themed 12 Ides ride.

c10

Hey c10, do you recall what time you were passing through the border area?

I will error on the side of over documentation then! ;)
mid morning to late afternoon . There are check points in many places that choke things up. I was not documenting my ride as was tagging along for a friends 1st SS1000