Fools Gold Ride 2017

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's that time of the year again.
Who will succeed in completing a BunBurner Gold 1500 ride on April Fools day?

Anyone who completes the ride and gets it verified receive a very special "Fools Gold Ride Patch"

Fools_Gold_Badge_zpspppdqrkp.jpg

The fee for verification and a patch is £32. Verification is the same as normal

The rules of the ride are here.... https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/bunburner.php

The rules as the same as standard Bunburner 1500 Gold rides except the ride has to be completed wholly on 1St April.. April Fools Day in the UK

This time riders will also be attempting the ride in Sweden and Germany

Is anyone going to try in the USA???

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
The M4 is shown closed between 13 and 12 (assume towards London) for the full weekend of 31 March-2 April.

There is another overnight closure closer to London. Not sure of direction.

Anyone using the M4 should check with the Highways website.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm told that this rideis easy fromBristolsoI plan on starting and finishing at Ferrybridge services.
If the M4 is closed I'll just follow the detour. It wont waste much time on a bike.
So who is in?
Stick your head over the parapet.........................:p;):p

As this is a Gold Ride only members can take part.

A base ride of a Saddle sore 1000 must be ridden before attempting a Gold Ride

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=13af958dce6eb4bcc7&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

My SPOT tracker will go live on Friday morning I plan to ride to hotel in Wakefield via late breakfast at Squires cafe. I'll get an early night min.6hrs before leaving for start at Midnight.

Route: Darrington on A1, Dover, Swansea, Plymouth, Newton Le Willows, Perth, Hamilton, Darrington

The route will mean I don't hit glasgow twice in the rush hour but willhave to put up with extra afternoon traffic M5 M6 to Birmingham and Manchester!!! That should be balanced by the empty M74 from Lake District to Glasgow.

Good luck to the other riders. Stay safe.

THIS RIDE IS ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED IRON BUTT RIDERS

Martex

Giving it go. Starting J27 M5, Down to Plymouth then to Dover and following the suggested route, anti clockwise.
I will need 10 fuel stops! is it possible?

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Giving it go. Starting J27 M5, Down to Plymouth then to Dover and following the suggested route, anti clockwise.
I will need 10 fuel stops! is it possible?
I should pass you going the other around London/M4. Look ou for 4 bright lights

10 stops is ok. Just dont waste time at stops . 6 minutes is possible.
Park at pump nearest door. As soon as you stop put hose in tank and get organised while your waiting for it to be switched on.Have pencil in pocket and write Miles on the receipt.
You should perfect your strategy over 10 stops. I'll only stop at waypoints on route to refuel and at glasgow M62 N and Perth. It'll be kitkat at one and drink at other,---- no fuel. Total stops less than 2 hrs

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
M4 closed J13 to J12
Just go south to A4 which runs parallel.
Bit of a pain through Reading Thatcham but shouldnt loosetoo much time

Gerhard

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good luck to everyone who makes the Fools Gold tomorrow.

I also will start and maybe a few others more..

So - take care and have a lot of fun !!

:)

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
Thank you IBA UK for this great idea!
IBA Sweden will tag along and see some riders starting tonight at midnight
How many? Hard to say at this point.
How many will finish? Even harder to say... ;)

Good luck and have a nice ride all participants.
Swedish pre-talk, pep-talk, prepp-talk and progress in this thread:

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/fools-gold-specialkörning-under-dygnet-1-4-2017.1209/

...and just possibly some Spotwallalinks as well.
Guess you have to scroll down on page two to see anything understandable...

Martex

Just finished my first Fools Gold run. Didn't start as planned. Shell garage at M5 J27 closes at 10pm
so Started at J28 Cullompton instead. First receipt point at Esso in Plymouth was closed for a
fuel delivery, the few mins waiting seemed like a lifetime! Then because of the high winds and lashing
rain I struggle to get to Gordano on a tank of fuel 19.32l in a 20l tank is too close for me!!
The rest of the run was plain sailing only 3 small hold ups.
Phil thanks for the fill up tips. 11 stops, in 1h 28mins

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I had a few issues. Start garage on A1 closed as the was road going south. So started ferry bridge and went anti clockwise. Exit closed in services south of Glasgow so went out staff back road. And through town. Think I may have ridden through road works to get in. Bit of a mystery as it was open. Went through Newbury late afternoon so made good use of centre hatched lines. Shame I was in and out of Scotland in the dark.
Finished in 22 3/4 hours total 2 hrs of stops. Rolling average 75mph and overall 64mph I think.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just finished my first Fools Gold run. Didn't start as planned. Shell garage at M5 J27 closes at 10pm
so Started at J28 Cullompton instead. First receipt point at Esso in Plymouth was closed for a
fuel delivery, the few mins waiting seemed like a lifetime! Then because of the high winds and lashing
rain I struggle to get to Gordano on a tank of fuel 19.32l in a 20l tank is too close for me!!
The rest of the run was plain sailing only 3 small hold ups.
Phil thanks for the fill up tips. 11 stops, in 1h 28mins
Well done. A good ride. How long did you take? Yes keeping wheels turning is the answer I wasted 20 minutes chatting to Dave at Dover!!!