Fools gold ride

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
and well done to the rest of you who at least started the ride. I just couldn't get my act together this year so you all beat me :)

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Dave, well done on completing the route :)

Phil I see you seem to have completed the ride in 23 hours for a bar to your medal for last year. The boss shows us how to do it.

Jealous? Yes. Next year perhaps.........

flyingrasb

Premier Member
Update from Bazza, had an awesome start with Huntgdon Petrol receipt 12.01, Dover just after 2am, met Gordon briefly. So all good until traffic North M6 nightmare, so all good upto this point. Glasgow rushhour, tailbacks galore, Perth for around 6pm. Heavy serious downpours from Shap onwards and the return. Anyway clocked back in to Petrol Station at Huntingdon at just after 1am. Gutted is an understatement!!!! Missed Ousby a cats whisker.
Oh yea, and my bike died on me briefly on the outside lane of M6, caused brief chaos whilst I carted to the hard shoulder only for it to start up and for me to go on my merry way.
Bazza - feeling the pain.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Update from Bazza, had an awesome start with Huntgdon Petrol receipt 12.01, Dover just after 2am, met Gordon briefly. So all good until traffic North M6 nightmare, so all good upto this point. Glasgow rushhour, tailbacks galore, Perth for around 6pm. Heavy serious downpours from Shap onwards and the return. Anyway clocked back in to Petrol Station at Huntingdon at just after 1am. Gutted is an understatement!!!! Missed Ousby a cats whisker.
Oh yea, and my bike died on me briefly on the outside lane of M6, caused brief chaos whilst I carted to the hard shoulder only for it to start up and for me to go on my merry way.
Gutted is a word I'd use as well Bazza .... and some other Strong language

When heading on my return run just outside of Plymouth all I could see is my arrived on the GPS counting down, thinking I could miss this by minutes.

Ref FJR Dying on while riding... This is a known problem and can/is a serious wiring fault with them.
The bike will die again if this relates to the Ground wiring spider links.
Overtaking etc were you need the engine to keep running ... the mind can think of all the areas that could put you in danger.

1. When it died was it just the engine and the lights stayed on?
2. It's a Gen 2 so Have you had the wiring patch lead update?
3. do you do your own repairs / can you take the tank off?

If you can take the tank off I can point you to the critical areas that need to be checked.

flyingrasb

Premier Member
Gutted is a word I'd use as well Bazza .... and some other Strong language

When heading on my return run just outside of Plymouth all I could see is my arrived on the GPS counting down, thinking I could miss this by minutes.

Ref FJR Dying on while riding... This is a known problem and can/is a serious wiring fault with them.
The bike will die again if this relates to the Ground wiring spider links.
Overtaking etc were you need the engine to keep running ... the mind can think of all the areas that could put you in danger.

1. When it died was it just the engine and the lights stayed on?
2. It's a Gen 2 so Have you had the wiring patch lead update?
3. do you do your own repairs / can you take the tank off?

If you can take the tank off I can point you to the critical areas that need to be checked.

Cheers Ziggy, fjr owners club do the big service, I do the bits in-between. 2008 model which I had from new. Wiring loom recall has been done. When I get a minute I have the tank off and get in touch. Appreciate the help.

Bazza

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Back home safe and sound after a very leisurely trip round all 1500 miles. Hopefully will get verified for a standard BB1500 and I'll be back next year to try again :)

Plan B worked then Dave, it was not the best day for traffic or weather heading back to Scotland.

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
Plan B worked then Dave, it was not the best day for traffic or weather heading back to Scotland.

Mostly drizzle on the way back up...or just plain dreich as us Scots would put it :). I think that the delays early on gave me one good thing....I missed the worse of the bad weather.

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
Good effort though...main thing is that the cut out didn't turn out a lot worse for you than it could've...

Well done to all the fools that took the challenge! Leaves me awestruck. Like FjrPilot I too am looking forward to any ride reports that materialise. Will be attending Hartside cafe rte next weekend and hope to see some of you fools there.

Be lucky, Iain.

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
Well done to all the fools that took the challenge! Leaves me awestruck. Like FjrPilot I too am looking forward to any ride reports that materialise. Will be attending Hartside cafe rte next weekend and hope to see some of you fools there.

Be lucky, Iain.
Your wish is my command...duly posted in the Ride Reports forum

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I finished in time. My report is on http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/fools-gold-2016.361/
Dave, Graeme Sally, Gordon, Alan, tough luck. There is always another day.

Bazza 25hrs is brilliant. That could so easily have been 24 hours, so close.

What happened to Daniel in Sweden?

Ziggy very well done. You and I have both completed many BBG1500 so understand what to do but it's never easy.
You cut it a bit fine. ;-)

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ha ha. You are of course right. Using all the available time is always the best policy.

Daniel

Mile Eater Platinum Not Right Rider
Premier Member
image.jpeg Phil... No problems here. Just some snow for the first hours. Paperwork in before the end of the week!!

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Planning aye a big part not just the route etc but outside effects ie a Friday, payday, and school holidays with hind sight would have been better to change our start and finish point or hired a bulldozer to clear a route along the M5/6 lol another year to wait to try again