SOLD : $5000 2016 BMW R1200RT 116,000 miles

Paul Tong

Heart of Texas Rally; LDX Rally
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I bought this 2016 R1200RT from Greg Rice Feb of 2018. It was a wonderful deal. Here is the bike on Greg's website: http://www.gregrice.com/bike/bmwrt.html

Now, let me regale you for a few moments about this bike. Greg Rice took immaculate care of this motorcycle for the 46,000 something miles he rode it. It made it through 1.5 legs of the 2017 IBR with him. When I picked it up from him at his place in Florida, it was showroom clean. Services done professionally and routinely. It was a wonderful deal of a bike with great farkles and add-ons.

Then Paul Tong rode it. I took it to Alaska that summer. Weeeeee! Then I took it to Gerlach that September. Then it became what all my motorcycles become: my commuter bike. I don't own a car. Spouse does, but not me. Yeah, I took a few trips but actually never did a cert ride on it even though I probably qualified for a few. Hell, I should have done it for the ride back when I picked it up. Nevertheless, I am not Greg Rice. Oh, it's been serviced and I have been religious on keeping the oil changed but I am 6'6'' 270 lbs of bull-in-a-china-shop. There used to be these air wing things on it but my long-ass legs & knees kept hitting them to the point they fell off on some highway somewhere. I don't even know. I just got somewhere once and they were gone. Once, I forgot to close a saddlebag and didn't notice until I was taking a tight curve and heard a loud, dragging noise. (sigh) Yeah, nice scrape mark on the right saddlebag. The bottom right aux light went out about a month after I got it. Got cracked or something, got water in it, hasn't worked in 3 years. The mounting bracket actually deteriorated too. It's held on by electrical tape. Three year old electrical tape. I'll have to take that one off. So yeah, it's got a few bumps and bruises. At about 75k miles, the clutch and driveshaft went out. They were replaced at a significant cost. BMW is proud of its parts. They should be. This thing is a tank.

The aux tank is a Maple tank. I had a bracket welded to it so I could mount my special hydration system (if you've ever seen it, it's pretty cool actually) but it was old and long-in-the-tooth, so it's in the trash. The bracket is still there. When I took the BMW in to have it serviced a while back, they dropped the bike and caused one of the welds to crack, so the tank leaked. I've sealed it up. It's not a professional looking job to be honest, but it works.

The tires have TPMS but the batteries in them have died or something, so it works like 2% of the time. I don't care because I check my air pressure weekly but that'll be an expense you'll have to cover if you want them fresh again. Of course, we can also work something out.

It has BMW Nav V GPS (has worked well for me), it has radios and speaker (never use 'em), I have like 4 spare headlight bulbs (because they go out at the most inopportune time), adjustable windshield, Grip Buddies, raised handlebars, farkle shelf with USB plugs, voltmeter, and temp gauge (bike temp gauge reading is more accurate), Sargent seat, plug-in for your Gerbing heat controller, alarm with remote lock, trunk light, detachable saddlebags, and probably some other stuff I never learned how to use.

It's paid off. Title in hand. I'm not in any rush to sell it but at the same time, my garage is already very full and it'd be nice to find it a new home. It's worth what I'm asking yet I'll still listen if you have other thoughts. The best part? I like riding motorcycles and for the right price, I can deliver it to your door if you'll just give me a ride to a nearby airport. Or vice-versa. Or whatever.

I can get you some pictures but I'm stuck at work for a couple days. I don't wash it often and don't expect me to do that to sell it. Might wash the windshield. I keep that pretty clean. You can literally take it off the bike to wash it which, to me, is pretty awesome. My spouse LOVES when I wash my motorcycle parts in the kitchen sink.

Oh, and it has a car tire. I honestly don't know how many miles are on these tires but there's not a whole lot and the rear tire has many, many miles left.

Honestly? I'm not sure if it'll sell but here it is. I don't spend much time on this site, so you'll need to email me : [email protected]

Thanks,

Paul Tong

Attachments

Last edited:

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I bought this 2016 R1200RT from Greg Rice Feb of 2018. It was a wonderful deal. Here is the bike on Greg's website: http://www.gregrice.com/bike/bmwrt.html

Now, let me regale you for a few moments about this bike. Greg Rice took immaculate care of this motorcycle for the 46,000 something miles he rode it. It made it through 1.5 legs of the 2017 IBR with him. When I picked it up from him at his place in Florida, it was showroom clean. Services done professionally and routinely. It was a wonderful deal of a bike with great farkles and add-ons.

Then Paul Tong rode it. I took it to Alaska that summer. Weeeeee! Then I took it to Gerlach that September. Then it became what all my motorcycles become: my commuter bike. I don't own a car. Spouse does, but not me. Yeah, I took a few trips but actually never did a cert ride on it even though I probably qualified for a few. Hell, I should have done it for the ride back when I picked it up. Nevertheless, I am not Greg Rice. Oh, it's been serviced and I have been religious on keeping the oil changed but I am 6'6'' 270 lbs of bull-in-a-china-shop. There used to be these air wing things on it but my long-ass legs & knees kept hitting them to the point they fell off on some highway somewhere. I don't even know. I just got somewhere once and they were gone. Once, I forgot to close a saddlebag and didn't notice until I was taking a tight curve and heard a loud, dragging noise. (sigh) Yeah, nice scrape mark on the right saddlebag. The bottom right aux light went out about a month after I got it. Got cracked or something, got water in it, hasn't worked in 3 years. The mounting bracket actually deteriorated too. It's held on by electrical tape. Three year old electrical tape. I'll have to take that one off. So yeah, it's got a few bumps and bruises. At about 75k miles, the clutch and driveshaft went out. They were replaced at a significant cost. BMW is proud of its parts. They should be. This thing is a tank.

The aux tank is a Maple tank. I had a bracket welded to it so I could mount my special hydration system (if you've ever seen it, it's pretty cool actually) but it was old and long-in-the-tooth, so it's in the trash. The bracket is still there. When I took the BMW in to have it serviced a while back, they dropped the bike and caused one of the welds to crack, so the tank leaked. I've sealed it up. It's not a professional looking job to be honest, but it works.

The tires have TPMS but the batteries in them have died or something, so it works like 2% of the time. I don't care because I check my air pressure weekly but that'll be an expense you'll have to cover if you want them fresh again. Of course, we can also work something out.

It has BMW Nav V GPS (has worked well for me), it has radios and speaker (never use 'em), I have like 4 spare headlight bulbs (because they go out at the most inopportune time), adjustable windshield, Grip Buddies, raised handlebars, farkle shelf with USB plugs, voltmeter, and temp gauge (bike temp gauge reading is more accurate), Sargent seat, plug-in for your Gerbing heat controller, alarm with remote lock, trunk light, detachable saddlebags, and probably some other stuff I never learned how to use.

It's paid off. Title in hand. I'm not in any rush to sell it but at the same time, my garage is already very full and it'd be nice to find it a new home. It's worth what I'm asking yet I'll still listen if you have other thoughts. The best part? I like riding motorcycles and for the right price, I can deliver it to your door if you'll just give me a ride to a nearby airport. Or vice-versa. Or whatever.

I can get you some pictures but I'm stuck at work for a couple days. I don't wash it often and don't expect me to do that to sell it. Might wash the windshield. I keep that pretty clean. You can literally take it off the bike to wash it which, to me, is pretty awesome. My spouse LOVES when I wash my motorcycle parts in the kitchen sink.

Oh, and it has a car tire. I honestly don't know how many miles are on these tires but there's not a whole lot and the rear tire has many, many miles left.

Honestly? I'm not sure if it'll sell but here it is. I don't spend much time on this site, so you'll need to email me : [email protected]

Thanks,

Paul Tong
Wish I was in the market. GLWS

Paul Tong

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You want pictures of a dirty bike? If you are personally interested, email me and I'll send you all the pictures you want.
Seriously though, I'm stuck at work and haven't been back to the house to take pictures in a couple days. It's currently parked at the house.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
No offense intended, Paul. I just like seeing pictures of bikes, and thought that someone interested in buying it would, too.

Sorry to bother you.

Paul Tong

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Question redacted. Sorry for asking.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I guess it came out that way. If it helps, I apologize. Requesting pictures was a very legitimate request. I just have been living out of a suit case for the last month and a half due to construction work in the house and can't get the bike clean or in a position to take good pictures. I took some pictures which are moderately helpful and will add them to the original post....well, not right now but soon.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Think nothing of it, Paul. I wasn't aware of your construction situation. It's totally understandable.

I hope your house is back to normal soon.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Personally, I need more information on the squirrel on meth.

BTW - thanks for the time with Nancy O and support for her donation... ;^)

Paul Tong

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Personally, I need more information on the squirrel on meth.

BTW - thanks for the time with Nancy O and support for her donation... ;^)
It's meant to refer to my riding ability. Meets basic requirements, has brief moments of intense and almost insane effort, but overall relatively worthless.

Nancy did 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the work. I just held the camera.