Forecourt bollocks

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
This morning, early, before almost any punters were about, I used my phone to photograph my bike's dashboard having just filled up. The tannoy boomed out that I should please not use my mobile near the pumps.

I'm sure there must be at least one electrical and/or wireless and/or chemical expert in our midst; who'd like to tell me what actual safety reason should prevent me from using my mobile on the forecourt? Is there a law about it? or is it just mythical bollocks? Have any petrol stations blown up as a result of some teenager taking a selfie on her iphone?

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Bob link below explains the industry position.

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/health-and-safety/mobile-phones-on-forecourts.aspx

As I read it, you had finished fuelling therefore any prohibition on the use of the phone would have finished.

However the same restriction would apply to any electrical device which is not certified as safe to use in an explosive atmosphere, i.e. a camera used to photograph pump and bike during a rally when no receipt available.

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought Gordon and you're right, even I'm not stupid dextrous enough to be filling my tank while messing with a mobile