Forecourt etiquette

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Over the years I have encountered the occasional request to remove my helmet in petrol stations. Unfortunately more often than not those requests aren't actually designed to encourage compliance with a reasonable request and so more often than not my response has been to get fuel somewhere else.

Yesterday, not even on a bike, I came across this

solstice.jpg

My response was as per this letter to the manager of the offending station. I'll post any reply here also. It's not my intention to encourage boycotts but I don't think we should sit idly by either.

Dear Sir

Pulling in for diesel this morning I immediately noticed your Q&A addressed to “Motorcyclists”. You are of course entirely within your rights to run your business any way you like, within the law, but I feel that you may wish to reconsider your attitudes towards motorcyclists and that notice in particular for purely commercial reasons.

Although I happened to be in a van this morning I am also a high-mileage motorcyclist and your Q&A is sufficiently offensive that I felt the need to retaliate. My first action was to buy only enough fuel to continue my journey rather than filling my 60ltr tank, your loss. My second action was to post the notice details on a national motorcycle forum to check whether I'm just a particularly grumpy old man. Apparently my reaction is not exceptional, most of the hundreds of responses favoured boycotting your station. Most motorcyclists are also car drivers and many are commercial vehicle users as well. Offending a large number of motorcyclists represents a non-trivial loss of revenue to your business, especially as there is another fuel station just down the road from you.

Why is the notice so offensive? Let's take it step by step:-

1) Helmet removal.
Some riders may well find removing their helmet to be a simple, unobjectionable, occasionally welcome procedure. Many, particularly in poor weather conditions, will find it a real pain. It might look a simple process to the layman but it often involves removing and refitting several layers as well as earplugs, spectacles and the helmet itself. You offer two reasons for requiring removal before taking fuel: checking for under 16s and possible difficulty making yourselves heard.

I am a 65 year old man with a grey beard and a flip-front helmet. If any member of your staff was unable to confirm that I was over 16 without removing my helmet I would suggest that they need to get their eyesight tested and should certainly not attempt to drive home. If positively vetting for 16+ was necessary then asking for proof of age would be a much more reliable policy and would cause much less offence than this blanket discriminatory approach.

I can appreciate the second point. Although I have never failed to hear and understand instructions given over a tannoy in a petrol station I can imagine that I might have a problem with a quietly-spoken cashier or a particularly noisy forecourt. In my case that won't be because I'm wearing my helmet but because I am actually quite deaf, a condition that might also apply to car, van and lorry drivers.

As for your staff feeling intimidated by a customer coming in to pay wearing a helmet, I can appreciate the fear they might feel in a variety of circumstances:-

- lone cashier at 3am, burly rider with full-face helmet
- rider threatening with, say, a crowbar or a knife
- crowd of hooligans entering the store

But a helmet is a legally required item of personal protective equipment designed for the purpose of protecting the wearer's head. I and thousands of others walk into petrol stations wearing helmets (and the rest of our armour) every day without reducing staff or customers to quivering wrecks.

2) Helmet storage.
I would precis your response as "tough" - not really a sensitive approach to customer service is it?

My helmet is an expensive, valuable, and easy to compromise item. If you require me to remove it while refuelling the least you can do is provide a safe, secure, clean and uncontaminated place for me to store it. Today I wasn't wearing a helmet but none of your forecourt surfaces looked like a place I'd want to rest one.

3) Dismounting my bike.
There are several good reasons why riders should get off their bikes while refuelling. Unfortunately you don't mention any of them but you do mention a piece of made-up pseudo-science instead.

To summarise: motorcyclists come in all shapes and sizes, male, female and "other" and are aged from 16-90. Your notice treats them all as a single class and does so in a manner which clearly conveys the message "we don't want your business."

Perhaps you have good reasons for wanting motorcyclists to behave in a particular way. If so, I’d suggest that you produce a new notice detailing the actual rationale and phrased remembering that motorcyclists are customers too.

Yours sincerely

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
The Asda reciprocating engine fuel station at Brighton Marina. (You notice that I called it a reciprocating engine fuel station, because I know how fussy you can be Bob, the also sell diesel and may sell LPG).
Anyway back to the point, they won't even serve you unless your numberplate on the rear of your motorcycle is facing the cashiers. This is because apparently they have had several motorcyclists ride off without paying. ( Well we all get a bit forgetful as we get older. I would like to point out that I have always remember to pay)
Unfortunately this puts you in a position where you are now facing in a contraflow to all the other car, van, taxis in fact all the other traffic using aforementioned "petrol station "
If you would like to follow this up with a letter to them I would be only to happy to find out there address for you.

PS I really do like your reply

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
The Asda reciprocating engine fuel station at Brighton Marina. (You notice that I called it a reciprocating engine fuel station, because I know how fussy you can be Bob, the also sell diesel and may sell LPG).
Anyway back to the point, they won't even serve you unless your numberplate on the rear of your motorcycle is facing the cashiers. This is because apparently they have had several motorcyclists ride off without paying. ( Well we all get a bit forgetful as we get older. I would like to point out that I have always remember to pay)
Unfortunately this puts you in a position where you are now facing in a contraflow to all the other car, van, taxis in fact all the other traffic using aforementioned "petrol station "
If you would like to follow this up with a letter to them I would be only to happy to find out there address for you.

PS I really do like your reply
What about those ( I know there aren't a lot) who drive rotary engine vehicles, all encompassing statement indeed. Or have they banned the likes of the Norton Rotary engine bike and the Mazda RX series

had the same problem, and i've worked the reason out it's none of the reasons they give its just an attempt to discourage motorcyclists from using busy supermarket petrol stations we don't buy enough fuel or any goodies from the shop and we take up a valuable pump at busy times when they could sell considerably more to a car with a family. Also if the pumps are occupied then that car will drive to another station.
so we are not a big enough return to be worthwhile.
last time i had this i was told to remove my helmet when trying to pay, i refused the reason they gave is they'd had some thefts by "hoodies" ?? i was a little baffled as i was defiantly not wearing a hoodie and their sign which was inside the shop made no mention of removing any other form of headgear only helmets. so i still refused to remove said helmet security was called after a lengthy debate with security it was determined i could not pay unless i removed my helmet. i then said ok i'll drive off then if you wont let me pay. i was then threaten with prosecution for failure to pay. when i stopped laughing the security man now looked confused ?? i was not refusing to pay they where refusing to accept payment, (i'd been trying to pay for 20 minutes)
some re-thinking was done and they let me pay still with my helmet on.

hence i don't use that supermarket chain anymore for any goods.