Fuel cell

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Beyond the standard documentation rules, there are no IBA rules regarding auxiliary fuel cells for certificate rides. That said, if you are planning on riding in a rally, that question would be best answered by the rules specific to that rally.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Have you taken a look at this yet?
http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/

The only mention of fuel tanks in the rules is this part:

"WARNING: If your motorcycle is equipped with a large fuel-tank, please note that you must stop at least once every 350 miles for gas (this is purely for documentation for your ride). Although we know it is possible to ride greater distances non-stop, we will not accept a claim of this type."

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hulletribe and Stephen!, from the few posts above I'm not sure that how I understand the question has been addressed.

I interpreted it as 'If I want to have an auxiliary can I use a motorcycle tank instead of the usual JAZ cell, Tourtank, custom cell or MapleFarkles cell'. I seem to be stating the obvious.

Stephen! has covered the rules for certificate rides. If entering the Iron Butt Rally, then, yes, inspection of the whole kit and kaboodle is a different proposition.

Hulletribe didn't even mention certificate criteria.

We know that a fuel tank is fuel proof. Tanks of all shapes and sizes are easy enough to come by... EFI bikes tend to have a pump in the base of the donor tank - that could be left insitu - carb bike tanks often have little in the way of obstacles at the base. Filling one and accessing vent lines is easy. I'd suggest that finding a suitable mounting method for the rear seat or hanging the tank off the back on a rack is certainly doable.

It will look like the beast with two backs, but I'm hoping Hulletribe gives it a shot.

Hulletribe and Stephen!, from the few posts above I'm not sure that how I understand the question has been addressed.

I interpreted it as 'If I want to have an auxiliary can I use a motorcycle tank instead of the usual JAZ cell, Tourtank, custom cell or MapleFarkles cell'. I seem to be stating the obvious.

Stephen! has covered the rules for certificate rides. If entering the Iron Butt Rally, then, yes, inspection of the whole kit and kaboodle is a different proposition.

Hulletribe didn't even mention certificate criteria.

We know that a fuel tank is fuel proof. Tanks of all shapes and sizes are easy enough to come by... EFI bikes tend to have a pump in the base of the donor tank - that could be left insitu - carb bike tanks often have little in the way of obstacles at the base. Filling one and accessing vent lines is easy. I'd suggest that finding a suitable mounting method for the rear seat or hanging the tank off the back on a rack is certainly doable.

It will look like the beast with two backs, but I'm hoping Hulletribe gives it a shot.
Dose it have to have a vent line? Or can it have a venting cap?

Last edited:

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hulletttribe, no I'm not saying that to do a rally you have to have one of the tanks I mentioned. Not at all.

Those are just some of the tanks commonly used by LD riders whether on IBA certificate rides, the Iron Butt Rally or any other type of rally or just tootling across the countryside for the fun of it.

If you do choose to ride the beast with two backs in a rally, there will be opportunities beforehand to ask the rally staff if your tank complies with their rules. At the rally there will be a technical inspection as part of the scrutineering process.

As for the vent line vs vent cap..... this comes down to practicality and safety and may vary again with the ride you are planning. It is a different thing to just bolt on a second tank to the back of your bike and go riding vs bolt a second tank onto your bike and enter the Iron Butt Rally. One will not be inspected (you just riding) and the other will be inspected in light of rules (IBR). If the rules for the rally call for a vent line, you'll need a vent line. (Here's and old version http://ironbutt.com/ibr/2013/IBR2013Rules.pdf)

I didn't mean for this thread to get bogged down in the requirements for the Iron Butt Rally.

What bike are you riding and what tank are you thinking of adding? There are hundreds of riders in the IBA who have added tanks of various types to their bikes, you may get some quality tips or advice if they know what you are planning.

My apologies OX-34. I didn't answering the questions.
I currently have an 2005 Honda vtx1300c. I picked up a 90s model ATV fuel tank that holds 3.5 to 4 gallons. So if I was to rally I would be well under the 11.5 allowed gallons. I will be about 7 to 7.25 gallons. Including reseve.
All the information I can get is helpful.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ok thank you for verifying that. My goal right now is the get certification on 1000 miles
Other than stopping at least every 350 miles for a receipt there are no IBA rules for an aux tank for a certificate ride. However, I would suggest referring to the rules of the Iron Butt Rally for suggestions on venting, grounding, securely attaching the tank, etc.