Fuel Economy

Lanval

IBA Member
Have a 2016 and looking to do some LD riding, so need some data on fuel economy.

Planning to do a 600 mile run here shortly to get a handle on what my bike will do compared to what it tells me. Right now my bike is recording 49.9MPG fuel economy, but really need to record it myself and see if there is any correlation.

So you LD riders what have you found in the real world compared to the average fuel indicated.

I'm expecting a fuel economy number for running about 70MPH.

Thanks

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Lanval it sounds like you want to know how long my piece of string is.

The most valid data will come from measuring your own piece of string.

Say if I get 39.9MPG or even 59.9MPG on my FJR, how is that going to affect your fuel economy data and subsequent planning for your upcoming 600 mile run?

Unless you're on a very tight budget and are trying to limit the fuel cost by a few dollars by some fuel mapping, gear change strategy, aerodynamic mod or something else, the fuel economy for your 600 mile run about 70MPH will be exactly the fuel economy for your 600 mile run at about 70MPH - no more, no less.

I'd suggest you ride to the gas station and reset your 'average MPG' and 'Trip A' on your dashboard, plus your GPS trip if you use one. Then fill up to wherever you say is the top. Go ride for a hundred miles or so - the farther the better - fill up again to wherever you say is top. Take note of the gallons the possibly unreliable pump says. Take note of your 'Trip A' and GPS trip. Now with docket in hand showing the gas gallons you pumped and the distance your bike thinks it travelled and the distance your GPS thinks it travelled make a couple of calculations to see how those answers compare to the 'Average MPG' on your dashboard. I doubt those numbers will be the same, but you will have an answer.

If however, you are really wanting to ask about other FJR rider's average/expected tank range rather than economy, then that is a different question.

Enjoy the 600 mile run and the many, many more big days on the FJR to follow o_O

Lanval

IBA Member
I know what you mean about how long is a piece of string, was wondering about what LD riders roughly get at highway speeds on average. Just an idea of what I might expect. And yes I will do the 600 mile run to find out exactly what my FJR will give me, and ofcourse temperature, wind and other factors can affect.

Bill Lumberg

Premier Member
Threadus resurrectus. Depends upon the speeds they run. I tend to cover distance quickly, so my MPG average is in the upper 30’s to very low 40’s. Someone who runs 70 is going to enjoy higher averages. Cee Bailey? Lower mpg. Yamaha Touring? Higher. I get a little lower in the winter due to running a larger screen and having it up more.

Lanval

IBA Member
Found this out yesterday, 76mph in cruise on relatively flat roads, about 42mpg. I also noticed that when below 60 degree air temp, the water temp jumps from 140is up to 180is, and back down continuously. This seems to affect the fuel economy also.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Found this out yesterday, 76mph in cruise on relatively flat roads, about 42mpg. I also noticed that when below 60 degree air temp, the water temp jumps from 140is up to 180is, and back down continuously. This seems to affect the fuel economy also.
Quite possible my understanding of modern liquid cooled motorcycle engines is not what it should be, but 140°F seems to be a bit low for an operating temperature, regardless the ambient temperatures. Maybe time to test your thermostat?

Lanval

IBA Member
Quite possible my understanding of modern liquid cooled motorcycle engines is not what it should be, but 140°F seems to be a bit low for an operating temperature, regardless the ambient temperatures. Maybe time to test your thermostat?
I will watch closer to the numbers.

Lanval

IBA Member
So what did I learn.

Traveling at 75mph, I would go about 210-220 miles before I was looking to fill up. Most fill ups at this 210-220 mile range was 5.1 Gallons 2016 FJR1300. These numbers where consistant over a SS1000 & BB1500.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So what did I learn.

Traveling at 75mph, I would go about 210-220 miles before I was looking to fill up. Most fill ups at this 210-220 mile range was 5.1 Gallons 2016 FJR1300. These numbers where consistant over a SS1000 & BB1500.
Why are you filling up so soon? 6.6 gallon tank. 6.4 gal of useable fuel w/o issues. 250 is a comfortable range w/o a fuel cell. And allows for variations in speed, weather and terrain.

Over a 5000 mile endurance rally I averaged 42 mpg with my rally load and speeds on an '04 FJR1300A. Bags loaded, flat bed fuel cell, water jug and small, low profile top box on the fuel cell. Mostly E10 fuel.

Knowing how far you can really go is far more important than average fuel mpg. Your load, your riding style, etc. The other part that's critical is knowing how far it is to the next gas. The tried and true saying is: "Don't pass up known gas for unknown gas."

Lanval

IBA Member
Why are you filling up so soon? 6.6 gallon tank. 6.4 gal of useable fuel w/o issues. 250 is a comfortable range w/o a fuel cell. And allows for variations in speed, weather and terrain.

Over a 5000 mile endurance rally I averaged 42 mpg with my rally load and speeds on an '04 FJR1300A. Bags loaded, flat bed fuel cell, water jug and small, low profile top box on the fuel cell. Mostly E10 fuel.

Knowing how far you can really go is far more important than average fuel mpg. Your load, your riding style, etc. The other part that's critical is knowing how far it is to the next gas. The tried and true saying is: "Don't pass up known gas for unknown gas."

Great question: With a couple of answers. One was inexperience as a LD rider, and thought 3 hours in the seat would be about a good time to stop. I was not sure if I would be able to see the Odometer and Trip mileage correctly when the FJR goes on to reserve, it counts up the miles rather than down, and takes a little while to reset once you refill and are on the move, and as you know I want to get a picture of receipt and Odo before I get underway. Lastly, I posted the information for anyone who might be looking for something similar, or wanted a rough idea of milage/time/fuel economy.

Thanks for your information, I concur that 250 miles is a nice number, and leaves some room for a gas stop.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I put 160k on an '04 FJR. When the low fuel odo starts you can still cycle to the other trip odo and main odo readouts. I found that once you know what you can get from your reserve, (most are about 1.5 US gal), then counting up was fine, as it allowed me to judge my remaining range well, and to know if I needed to slow down in order to go farther in a pinch. 50 mph was the sweet spot for me in mpg.

Take a gallon jug of gas with you and run the bike dry. You'll then know how many miles you can get from reserve under those conditions and that serves as your base line next time you enter reserve. Typically most riders get ~60 miles on reserve.

Lanval

IBA Member
Thanks @EricV. Many miles later I figured out that I have about 60 miles on the count down like you said. I'm planning a couple of LD runs, and like you pointed out, running to 250miles can save a good amount of time over many miles.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I put 160k on an '04 FJR. When the low fuel odo starts you can still cycle to the other trip odo and main odo readouts. I found that once you know what you can get from your reserve, (most are about 1.5 US gal), then counting up was fine, as it allowed me to judge my remaining range well, and to know if I needed to slow down in order to go farther in a pinch. 50 mph was the sweet spot for me in mpg.

Take a gallon jug of gas with you and run the bike dry. You'll then know how many miles you can get from reserve under those conditions and that serves as your base line next time you enter reserve. Typically most riders get ~60 miles on reserve.
Excellent advice as usual Eric :)

Your hardcore riding and tales of the same and first hand experience are a huge asset 'round here.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Excellent advice as usual Eric :)

Your hardcore riding and tales of the same and first hand experience are a huge asset 'round here.
I think you're a lot more hard core than I am. You're the only bloke I know that put a 5 gallon fuel cell on a postie bike! :eek:

We all share our experiences here. Sometimes I've BTDT, and try to help.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Lanval it sounds like you want to know how long my piece of string is.

The most valid data will come from measuring your own piece of string.

Say if I get 39.9MPG or even 59.9MPG on my FJR, how is that going to affect your fuel economy data and subsequent planning for your upcoming 600 mile run?

Unless you're on a very tight budget and are trying to limit the fuel cost by a few dollars by some fuel mapping, gear change strategy, aerodynamic mod or something else, the fuel economy for your 600 mile run about 70MPH will be exactly the fuel economy for your 600 mile run at about 70MPH - no more, no less.

I'd suggest you ride to the gas station and reset your 'average MPG' and 'Trip A' on your dashboard, plus your GPS trip if you use one. Then fill up to wherever you say is the top. Go ride for a hundred miles or so - the farther the better - fill up again to wherever you say is top. Take note of the gallons the possibly unreliable pump says. Take note of your 'Trip A' and GPS trip. Now with docket in hand showing the gas gallons you pumped and the distance your bike thinks it travelled and the distance your GPS thinks it travelled make a couple of calculations to see how those answers compare to the 'Average MPG' on your dashboard. I doubt those numbers will be the same, but you will have an answer.

If however, you are really wanting to ask about other FJR rider's average/expected tank range rather than economy, then that is a different question.

Enjoy the 600 mile run and the many, many more big days on the FJR to follow o_O

Gday Ox Gday Lanval

OxI like your straight up and down logic mate. It always makes sense.
Lanval fill the bike like Ox says. Pack on a 5ltr jerry and set the trip to 0 then just ride.
use this 600mile ride as an opportunity to test fact and reality.
Almost every longer ride is a test of fact and reality in a wide scale in the game so be confident and test the space.
Oh and enjoy your trip Lanval and post some pics for us.
600ml is 965 km is start full , fill at 475km and again or close at 475 to finish off. Thats like two on road fills and its only a logic gathering exerciser
so if you have to fuel sooner then just fuel sooner.
This is a game after all.

Gday Ox Gday Lanval

OxI like your straight up and down logic mate. It always makes sense.
Lanval fill the bike like Ox says. Pack on a 5ltr jerry and set the trip to 0 then just ride.
use this 600mile ride as an opportunity to test fact and reality.
Almost every longer ride is a test of fact and reality in a wide scale in the game so be confident and test the space.
Oh and enjoy your trip Lanval and post some pics for us.
600ml is 965 km is start full , fill at 475km and again or close at 475 to finish off. That's like two on-road fills and it's only a logic-gathering exerciser
so if you have to fuel sooner then just fuel sooner.
This is a game after all.
Dear Fellow riders,
One question not asked nor answered is, how far can you go on reserve? The answer is, about 55 Miles, then you are on fumes. While Yamaha says that the reserve capacity is 1.5 Gals. or 6 Liters it is actually 1.25 Gals or 5 Liters. to let you know this is on a 2017 FJR

Frenchman

Premier Member
IBA Member
Dear Fellow riders,
One question not asked nor answered is, how far can you go on reserve? The answer is, about 55 Miles, then you are on fumes. While Yamaha says that the reserve capacity is 1.5 Gals. or 6 Liters it is actually 1.25 Gals or 5 Liters. to let you know this is on a 2017 FJR
Is this from personal; experience?