Fuel Stop???

I thought I would post this for anyone planning a LD ride across I-10 in Florida. I just did a SS1000 and BB1500 on Friday 2/28 and Saturday 2/29. I fueled at the Shell station in Chipley FL I-10 X120. Premium was $1.00/gal higher than all the Shell stations I used between Ft. Myers, FL and Baton Rouge, LA. Plan according, I hope this post is not out of line in this forum. THX crowgo

XPLSV

Premier Member
I thought I would post this for anyone planning a LD ride across I-10 in Florida. I just did a SS1000 and BB1500 on Friday 2/28 and Saturday 2/29. I fueled at the Shell station in Chipley FL I-10 X120. Premium was $1.00/gal higher than all the Shell stations I used between Ft. Myers, FL and Baton Rouge, LA. Plan according, I hope this post is not out of line in this forum. THX crowgo
I refueled in Utah in January after coming to the end of a long stretch by Bonneville Salt Flats along I-80 and did not check the price as I fueled up my truck—then the $100 credit card authorization topped out and I knew my gas tank still wasn’t full. If I had driven another mile or two down the road to West Wendover, all the gas stations there were $1.89 less per gallon of gasoline. I think I put about 27 gallons of that expensive gas into my tank.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You see this from time to time. In Orlando near the airport gas is normally $2 a gallon more than just down the road, in Houston there is a fuel station near the airport on JFK blvd that is always $2.50 a gallon more than a station just across the street.

I rode I-10 between Jax and Louisiana on 29 Feb 20 and saw a range of fuel costs for regular, from $2.05 to $2.59. Nothing really out of line with what I was expecting, though I didn't stop at any Shell stations. Here in Florida, we have some of the highest fuel taxes in the country, plus add in the local sales tax. Sometimes the gas station doesn't really have discretion in their gas prices, it's dictated by the brand they sell.

I didn't stop in Chipley, FL but I did stop on either side of it - Marianna on the way out and Defuniak Springs on the way home. I saw a $0.32 difference between the two. They're in different counties so that may explain the difference, or at least part of it. Looking online, it appears that Washington county which is where Chipley is located, has pretty high prices throughout the county.

I don't know about that particular Shell you stopped at, but those in our local area tend to be higher than others and I'm guessing it's due to brand dictate.

Not that any of this helps with your high fuel prices in Chipley, FL, but it may help explain why you saw higher prices there.

WY88

Premier Member
Paid $4:03 (mid grade) in Seattle for my Leap Year SS1K ending receipt. Could of found less expensive locations, but I use specific stations for my start and end receipts, a few cents one way or the other when purchasing a few gallons is of no real consequence, (my truck is another story).

CB650F

Premier Member
Get an app called GasBuddy. Look at it when you need fuel and it will give you gas prices (or diesel) of stations around you. If there's a station half a mile down the road that's $0.50 cheaper, you'll see it quickly.

OldCrow

Premier Member
... Here in Florida, we have some of the highest fuel taxes in the country, plus add in the local sales tax. ...
Don't know about the taxes, but I did a USA 4 Corners ride in Oct 2019 and by far the highest prices were is California. Prices in CA were $1 to $1.50 higher then Fl.
And on average FL is 20cents cheaper then my home state of Maine.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
You guys want to come to Australia, I run 98 in my tank and it usually hovers around$1.80 per litre, that is around $6.85 per gallon for you guys in the USA. In some of our more remote place fuel can be up to a $1.00 per litre dearer than other places pushing it above $10.00 per US gallon.

Don't know about the taxes, but I did a USA 4 Corners ride in Oct 2019 and by far the highest prices were is California. Prices in CA were $1 to $1.50 higher then Fl.
And on average FL is 20cents cheaper then my home state of Maine.
It looks like California has the highest gas taxes in the country, plus sales tax - go figure, huh? Maine's kind of way up there, I'm guessing part of their cost is transportation because their gas taxes are cheaper than Florida's.

The last thing I worry about on a Cert ride or Rally is the cost of fuel (or tolls).

But thanks for the heads up! I will certainly keep that in mind when I am finishing my ride in to Jacksonville next week if I end up on I-10.
Cheaper is always better - when I ride by gas at $2.05 just to pay $2.39 up the road I mentally kick myself, but in relative terms for me, it's about a buck-eighty difference for a tank. Nothing to lose sleep over and the mental kicking is soon forgotten...

As of this morning, it appears gas prices are tumbling due to market issues.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Cheaper is always better - when I ride by gas at $2.05 just to pay $2.39 up the road I mentally kick myself, but in relative terms for me, it's about a buck-eighty difference for a tank. Nothing to lose sleep over and the mental kicking is soon forgotten...
Emphatically agree!

I was on a ride with someone not long ago...I was a bit under the weather, and a fuel/bio break was made.

This person had asked if I really needed fuel, since it was ~0.40 more expensive here...but, I only needed four-ish gallons at that time

They were a bit bent out of shape having to pay another $1.60 for fuel. Their usual place to stop is an absolute traffic nightmare...and honestly, I really needed that bio break.

As of this morning, it appears gas prices are tumbling due to market issues.
Yeah, good news/bad news situation, I think. How many are really going to want to travel and risk any additional exposure? I'm noticing some slight decreases in lodging costs as well.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's less about the small cost difference, sure overall a $1-$2 at a stop more is nothing, but it's the fact of being taken advantage of that pisses me off and ifbi can avoid giving people like that my business I will.

Its a free economy, owners can charge whatever they want for their goods and services (within legal bounds) but I as a consumer can also choose not to support such practices and shop elsewhere.

XPLSV

Premier Member
Exit 221 on I-80 outside of Sinclair, Wyoming. There is a Sinclair truck stop there, which isn't but 3/4 of a mile from the Sinclair oil refinery, from which the adjacent town of Sinclair gets its name. One might think that the gas would be lowest this Sinclair station next to the Sinclair refinery, but no...