Fuel Tank Questions and the IBA no Flag

Am not what you would call a regular on this site, so I have a few questions regarding fitting a fuel tank on a 1400GTR. I have purchased a Cal Custom 20 Litre aluminium fuel tank and could use some guidance in fitting it.
1. Given the tank will be fitted above the rear seat will it siphon down into the main tank, sufficient to prevent the fuel pump cavitating ?
2. Hoses is there any difference between rubber and braided stainless line?
3. Is everyone running filter, quick break and a tap ?
4. Where do I get one of those IBA Flags with no on it and a cup ?

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Am not what you would call a regular on this site, so I have a few questions regarding fitting a fuel tank on a 1400GTR. I have purchased a Cal Custom 20 Litre aluminium fuel tank and could use some guidance in fitting it.
1. Given the tank will be fitted above the rear seat will it siphon down into the main tank, sufficient to prevent the fuel pump cavitating ?

G'day Ken
Straight to the chace here. Ive built more than a few auxiliary tanks now and found some things work and some dont.
So here's my list of does and donts.

DONT... use a braid stainless steel line. Its lined with a nylon tube which will crush/kinck inside the ss liner and you will be none the wiser. It exterior also cuts the crap out of plastics.
End fittings are more expensive.

DO...Look up posts from guys like Kwaka and Skidoo whome both run auxiliary tanks so they can help you with the "special" place to plumb into your main tank. Essentially your going to open a hole in the flat of the bottom most point in the tank beside the fuel pump housing.

DO... In order from the Auxiliary Tank to the main.
Tap
Filter
Quick Connect. I use stainless steel marine grade connects. These come in different sizes for different tubes Internal Diameter.

Now here is my thinking of this order of fitting. The tap will stop all fuel flow to or from the main tank. That means you can only lose some of your fuel in a simple fall.
If you have a load of bad fuel into your Aux then you can shut the flow off and back wash the filter by flushing from the main.

DO.. start running/transfering fuel from the rear to the main sooner rather than latter. That will prevent your pump from cavitaiting.

DONT... run your main into the reserve before turning the auxiliary on.

DO,DO,DO, have fitted a rollover check valve FOR motorcycles.
This goes in the vent line out the back of the tank or can be fitted into the inside of the tank under the vent outlet.

Food for your thoughts. Empty the rear fuel off sooner . This sheds weight from high on the back of the bike.
Take the time to design and have made a very good mounting system. The tank with say 19 ltrs of fuel will weigh more under inertia than it does in your hands.
Dont know about the flags but like you I want to have one too.

Good luck with the conversion Ken.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far, definetely food for thought.
I think the real go, no go moment will be the drilling of the hole in my tank, but I reckon this method is way better than carrying containers of fuel which would be more dangerous in a drop than a fuel cell.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
You probabley read this at some point Ken.
Get a step bit for the drilling job. These designed for drilling thin sheet metal.
The first time I took a drill to a fuel tank I like many othere before me had that Oh what if moment too.
Once you do this job you'll be so glad you took the plunge.

Skidoo

Premier Member
1. Gravity works well, shame I just threw out a frame that housed a Jax 20'litre tank. They key from experience when the main tank is full, draw from the rear tank. This reduces weight over the rear axle and ensures the movement of fuel is seamless. Did over 18,000km on one run on my GTR using this method and no issues.
2. Used rubber, no issues and previously discussed
3. Ran a proper fuel tap and an auxiliary filter between tank and bike.
4. Already answered

Have fun

gus

Ken, i have posted up pics of where i drilled my tank on either GTR AUS or FarRider's around 2012. I will find them later tonight and post a link.
Cheers
Gus