Furkot route planner

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Does anybody use furkot to plan their routes? I'm trying to plan a trip and want to know my gas stops and thus was the only one I could find.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I won;t be much help ... but I have struggled with trying to use Furkot and gave up - but I know there are a lot of supporters and help in the GPS forum of ADVrider.

Clive Brown

Premier Member
I just played with it for just under an hour.... I agree, not in. Some nice features for sure, but....
I really use that little gold Google Guy a LOT. It was a dark day for me when Google Maps cut the
maximum waypoints in a route to 10.....
Basecamp requires a six month 24/7 mentored immersion to learn the basics and Mapquest
doesn't have my fave little guy. Sorry for the snivel . Maybe I just need to suck it up and hire a
live in Basecamp expert to teach me:D:D Not sure how the wife would like that?

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I just played with it for just under an hour.... I agree, not in. Some nice features for sure, but....
I really use that little gold Google Guy a LOT. It was a dark day for me when Google Maps cut the
maximum waypoints in a route to 10.....
Basecamp requires a six month 24/7 mentored immersion to learn the basics and Mapquest
doesn't have my fave little guy. Sorry for the snivel . Maybe I just need to suck it up and hire a
live in Basecamp expert to teach me:D:D Not sure how the wife would like that?
I haven't figured out how to do Google map waypoints on my ph, I can make a map from point A to point B, but don't know how to do the in between.

Clive Brown

Premier Member
Sorry, can't help with that. I use the laptop at home prior to the trip for planning. Tempted to rant about how I hate
"mobile friendly" site's that have partial functionality vs the regular page but I'll keep that to myself.....

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
It was a dark day for me when Google Maps cut the
maximum waypoints in a route to 10
Clive,
You know you have 10 layers you can put 10 waypoints in each?
And, in each layer, you can stretch the route with additional sub-waypoints, in between the waypoints.
So, all in all, you may use 250 points along a single route.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Clive,
And, in each layer, you can stretch the route with additional sub-waypoints, in between the waypoints.
Correct, this however is using Google My Maps. I also use a laptop to create my routes, phone/tablet is only for point A to Point B.
The golden man is a must for every route to verify and get a preview of what I will find.
Bing Maps has more options for waypoints in a single layer. Also, if you enter or create the waypoints backwards (last destination first - I have not figured out how to change the order jet) you will be able to add all of them to a single route. I don't know how to save a route either.
I have played with Basecamp. I don't like that you have to connect the GPS to the PC to see the better map, maybe I'm missing something. I like the feature that allows to give a specific start time and the stopped time for each stop. I can export to the GPS.
For Basecamp you can look for Tim's (hardtxrider) videos.

Clive Brown

Premier Member
Clive,
I did not know that. At the risk of sounding luddite like, what the hell was wrong with the simple, easy to use,
original way? Nothing but disdain for any program that takes something that works 100% and then "improves" it
with layers of complexity lol... That said, I will now sign off and sign in to Google Maps. I'll try once again to
plan a route with 12 gas stops plus a start and end waypoint with the total route being displayed on one map.
I swear to give it my best effort but also promise that if I have to fight with it for more than five minutes I will
quit. They make apps that my three year old grandchildren can run, pretty sure they could make this work easily
for old 57 year olds like me.... Oh yeah, that's right, it did work perfectly well until they changed it......

Clive Brown

Premier Member
Ok then, please help me.... I just went back to Google Maps and tried to enter a route. Once I got to ten waypoints it said " Maximum reached".
I them clicked on every single option/menu item available on the screen and could not find any way to add layers or add more waypoints?
I assume I could then start another route, however, that is not what I need. I need one route with all the waypoints contained within it.
I revisited the program... Under "My Maps" (That I have never used before) I found options to add layers. Absolutely zero clue what I was doing, the opposite of user friendly, I quit after three to five minutes of pure frustration.... I am NOT somebody who has an issue with learning new programs. I am a somewhat proficient user of Photoshop and Lightroom and Final Cut Pro and numerous other extremely complex programs. Self taught. I speak Mac as my first language and put up with Windows as required. I'm somewhat conversant with my Android operating system. In short I have about half a clue.... Same people that created Basecamp must have been hired to create this abomination of a program! Just my opinion....

Last edited:
I don't like that you have to connect the GPS to the PC to see the better map, maybe I'm missing something. I like the feature that allows to give a specific start time and the stopped time for each stop. I can export to the GPS.
For Basecamp you can look for Tim's (hardtxrider) videos.
Hello, you do NOT have to have the gps connected to see the full maps IF you also have the maps loaded onto basecamp/computer and not just your gps. When loading maps Garmin Express give you the option to load to the gps or load to the gps AND computer. You can also load the maps to the computer at any time. I bought a new laptop with plenty of hard drive space and I love having the maps on the computer. I can play with all kinds of routes and load to the gps later.

Dan

Slasher

Premier Member
Another neat way to plan a route specifically with fuel stops in mind is to use gasbuddy. It will not only show you your route, after you put in your tank size and range, it will show you where to stop for the cheapest gas. Not such a big deal now but it's only a matter of time before gas goes up again.

Clive Brown

Premier Member
Think I have found my new route planner... http://www.myrouteapp.com
Your limited to 499 waypoints :), has the Google Man, can save route in numerous
different file formats and will upload route to your GPS via USB. For those interested
it will upload to social media sites etc etc... It is also a nav app once you pay for the
"gold" upgrade ( this is needed to allow upload of routes via USB ).
Took me less than ten minutes to figure out how to run it. Garmin could sure learn from
these guys! Yes, there is an annual fee for the Gold version.... Worth every penny in
my opinion.

CRASH

Premier Member
Good find Clive. I have been playing with it and the issue I am having is getting things like gas stations to show up consistently. May just be dumb me, but it is a little frustrating at the moment, but still playing.

Now, what I have been using is Tyre and it links and uses Google maps as well. Pretty easy to use as well.

Last edited:

Clive Brown

Premier Member
I headed down to mexico shortly after last post and have been using it there. Worked 100%. Heading home now and will play in earnest
over next few weeks. Don't recall right now but pretty sure you have to manually select them as a POI for them to display.