Garmin RV890 GPS Update

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I bought my Garmin RV 890 to replace my DEZL 770 I provided some feedback on it. I wanted to give more feedback and the reasons I bought the RV890.

The main reason is it is a big a$$ screen and very easy to see. It is also glove friendly, so no stylus is needed. It is pretty waterproof compared to the DEZL 770. It is not really waterproof, but I had to do less to make the RV 890 waterproof compared to the DEZL.

A couple other reasons I like the RV 890 is that it has Wi-Fi built in and it also has a built in web browser and many types of messages from my phone. Below is a of the things I get on the RV 890.

I just connect my RV 890 to the hotspot on my iPhone to get Wi-Fi connectivity for web browsing. The other messages come through the Garmin Drive App.

With the web browser I can check on my Spotwalla tracking without having to check on my phone. It is also nice to see my emails and work Slack messages. The RV 890 will read back the emails and messages including text messages. No hands or eyes off the road required.

Here is a list features on the RV 890. Below is some screenshots from the RV 890 including my Spotwalla tracking and Google.com.
  • Web Browser
  • Text Messages
  • Weather & Radar
  • Emails
  • Work Slack Messages
  • Ring Camera Alerts
  • Traffic Alerts
The first screenshot shows two icons in a red box with a link to my Spotwalla tracking and Google.com. The next two screenshots are of my Spotwalla tracking and Google.com. The screenshot after those two is a list of emails, Slack message, text message and Ring camera alerts from my house that can be read, or the RV 890 will read them to you.

Last edited:

Auburn

Premier Member
I have a pair of the RV 890s on my Wing. Love them. Agree big a$$ screen is really good. I just tape over the water areas, can run my video in for the SpeedIR to get the infrared images. It's black an white for the IR, but the shading is really good and easy to spot critters. The 890 doesn't freak out when water drops hit the screen like the XTs that I replaced with these. I think it actually is faster in recalculating the routes.

Greg, how did you get the icons on your home screen for spotwalla and google? Would be handy to have your weather link there.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Once you are in the browser and on a webpage you want to save a shortcut for you press the STAR icon in the browser address bar and then you have an option to save it to the Home Screen.

I will try and get some screenshots later today.

Auburn

Premier Member
Once you are in the browser and on a webpage you want to save a shortcut for you press the STAR icon in the browser address bar and then you have an option to save it to the Home Screen.

I will try and get some screenshots later today.
got it. Thank you

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Have you ever tried to run google maps on the web browser?
I did try Google maps and it will display the map and you can search for places and locations but it will not navigate because it cannot find your location. The Garmin GPS does not provide location information to the web browser.

I have Google maps and Waze on my 5 inch CarPlay device so I am good.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Which carplay device are you using?

I have recently replace my 770 with this tablet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQD77PKQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It's working good so far I loved the screen size on the 770 but the routing was sometimes so wonky (truck focused) and I have been moving more an more to Google maps it has kind of become primary unless I'm on a planed route. I do have a set of gloves with tactile fingers which work about 75%.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Which carplay device are you using?

I have recently replace my 770 with this tablet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQD77PKQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It's working good so far I loved the screen size on the 770 but the routing was sometimes so wonky (truck focused) and I have been moving more an more to Google maps it has kind of become primary unless I'm on a planed route. I do have a set of gloves with tactile fingers which work about 75%.
I am using this one. So far so good.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804888990774.html