Garmin XT & Garmin Express are driving me nuts

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I like Garmin Zumo satnavs, and have been using them for over 20 years. The XT is the best of the lot in my opinion, but.............

When I plug my fully charged Zumo into my MacBook Pro, its screen tells me it has detected a USB cable, and will go into file transfer mode in 15 seconds.

I duly wait, and Garmin Express then tells me to plug it in, as it cannot detect it.

I have tried clicking the 'continue' button instead of waiting 15 seconds - same thing happens.

I have deleted G. Express and downloaded the latest version, have used an alternative USB cable, have turned the laptop off and on again, and still the computer tells me the Zumo is not connected but the Zumo tells me it has detected the connection.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I'm not sure whether to throw the Zumo out the window or the laptop.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I like Garmin Zumo satnavs, and have been using them for over 20 years. The XT is the best of the lot in my opinion, but.............

When I plug my fully charged Zumo into my MacBook Pro, its screen tells me it has detected a USB cable, and will go into file transfer mode in 15 seconds.

I duly wait, and Garmin Express then tells me to plug it in, as it cannot detect it.

I have tried clicking the 'continue' button instead of waiting 15 seconds - same thing happens.

I have deleted G. Express and downloaded the latest version, have used an alternative USB cable, have turned the laptop off and on again, and still the computer tells me the Zumo is not connected but the Zumo tells me it has detected the connection.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I'm not sure whether to throw the Zumo out the window or the laptop.
Hi Tom, I've had that problem with my 3 Garmin's, it's hit and miss...but regardless they always show up in BC and allow me to add maps/delete etc.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have had the same problem when I used my 595 and solved it on advice to put a signal booster between the Zumo and main computer/laptop.I also have a Zumo XT nowadays and never had that problem upto today....but it´s maybe a solution to your problem.....

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
You might want to plug the Zumo into a Windows PC and see what happens...?
If it works, the XT might not be the problem.
Also, there might be issues with Garmin Express on a Mac. See here:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=PEtKkmDWkF65Y5pC2CbJGA

Stay Safe..
Ed.
Thanks Eddy - I watched the link and I'm doing everything they suggested already. One thing I did learn was that there is a difference between a data transfer cable and a power cable. The 2nd one I tried was just power - the original Zumo one is data transfer. I tried that by plugging the Zumo into my wife's Windows laptop, and it recognises it, so the cable is OK. I'm not keen to install Basecamp and Garmin Express on hers, though. That would be somewhat impractical for us.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Hi Tom, I've had that problem with my 3 Garmin's, it's hit and miss...but regardless they always show up in BC and allow me to add maps/delete etc.
Hi Kim, I would be OK if Basecamp would recognise the Zumo, but the transfer tabs are greyed out, so I'm unable to transfer routes, locations etc.

I should add that I've had the XT for nearly 2 years, and it has always worked with BC and GE before, albeit hit & miss, as you say.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Hi Michiel, not sure I understand what you mean. Doesn't a signal booster just boost a wi-fi/bluetooth connections?

I don't know of a way to connect the XT to either BC or GE wirelessly.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I know it sounds wacky, but only one of the USB ports will communicate with my Garmin GPS units so I literally have it labeled that way on my Windows machine. If I plug it in to one of the other USB ports I get the same lack of communication you seem to have on your Mac.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Michiel, not sure I understand what you mean. Doesn't a signal booster just boost a wi-fi/bluetooth connections?

I don't know of a way to connect the XT to either BC or GE wirelessly.
I have no clue either Tom I´m computerignorant....Looked at it it´s from Logilink aUa0085 costed a 10er and did the job for me connect to the grid 1 side the other goes into USB of computer and whoops you have 4 ports for quick charge of your intercom etc I put it between my computer and my 595 and it strengthened it´s signal to a level where my computer and/or laptop could find the fucker

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I use a Macbook Pro myself. I don't have an XT, but other Garmin devices.

Your Zumo XT should show up as an icon on your desktop when it's plugged in. Does it? My Garmin units always take a bit to be recognized by Garmin Express, but usually just a few minutes. I will kindly suggest you ignore what the XT's screen is saying, it's moot. What your computer is saying and showing is the important part. You've already identified that you have a data cable.

The other question is what port are you using for this on the Mac? I can't, for example, use the USB port on my Apple keypad because it's only data, not power and the Garmin requires both, regardless of if it's charged or not. I have a 4 port USB hub plugged into a dock for my Macbook. That uses the main USB port on the Macbook.

I have also noticed that it works better if I have Garmin Express up before I plug in the GPS unit. I still need to wait a minute for the Garmin icon to show up on the desktop, then a minute later it shows in Garmin Express as connected, then I can select that device and it looks for updates, etc.

One other thing I remembered, some of my Garmin devices have different style ports on them. Plug into the wrong one, no data transfer, even though it shows up on the device screen as such. My 2797 needs to use the micro usb port, my older 40S needs the funky Garmin port to be used.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Thanks for your reply, Eric.

I have 2 USB ports on the MacBook, one on each side, and I've tried both. I have never seen an icon appear on the desktop (admittedly I've never looked for one). The Zumo is locked back onto the bike now, so I will take it off tomorrow and have a closer look, and another try.

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
I have this problem a lot on my MacBook with my XT. My go to solution is with the XT connected to the Mac force quit Basecamp option/command/esc and with the XT still connected start Basecamp up again, works every time for me. BUT WHY DO I HAVE TO MR GARMIN

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
BUT WHY DO I HAVE TO MR GARMIN
You don't really need to address children as "Mr". All Garmin employees are required to be under 6 years old and be unable to spell, understand a street address or know what Lat/Lon means. If you believe I am mistaken, just open Base Camp and you'll instantly see the truth. The level of incompetence would be comical if it were not so sad. I really did LOL at the "offer yelp search results", yelp being perhaps one of the worst search engines on the net.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I have this problem a lot on my MacBook with my XT. My go to solution is with the XT connected to the Mac force quit Basecamp option/command/esc and with the XT still connected start Basecamp up again, works every time for me. BUT WHY DO I HAVE TO MR GARMIN
Wow - that sounds interesting, Martin - thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Firstpeke

I may have said this before but I use ITN converter and Tyre for route planning and unfortunately not iOS.....

The issue of the Garmin not connecting is not uncommon and even on Win10 with any of the apps, including BC, it can take a minute or two to finally recognise the satnav....... which to me says this is more of a Garmin issue and how they make the connection..... but hey patience is a virtue and clearly as LD Riders we must already have that, right?

My worst nightmare is if the unit and cable move, even a little, and the USB connection is disturbed a little, it can disconnect..... then it takes a little while to reconnect again, if at all, often needing to be unplugged and reconnected with the XT being restarted,
Disturbing it during updates could be terminal.........

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Well, tonight I tried force quitting BC & then reopening it, but that made no difference. Neither did starting GE before plugging in the Zumo.

Eric mentioned seeing an icon on the desktop after plugging in the Zumo - I don't get that, so maybe the cable has passed its sell by date. I will buy another one and try that, as I'm now all out of options.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Agreed. I'm going to phone Garmin support tomorrow, outline the problem, see what they say & buy a cable from them (if that's what they recommend).

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That is odd. Your Mac should recognize it as a device plugged in to the computer. My icon is just a gray rectangle that says "Garmin", but any time I plug any device into the Mac it shows up on the desktop. I always "eject 'Garmin' before unplugging it or I'll get the You were naughty message that it was improperly disconnected, blah, blah, blah.

You might check your settings with it plugged in and see if it shows up anywhere.

edit - Your XT should have come with it's own data cable. All my Garmins have come with a data cable. I mark them so I don't lose track of what cable came with what device. Just some tape with the name written on it.