Garmin XTs and 396s on sale

Terrywerm

The 396 might not be the latest and greatest, but it still works fine for me. Most places that I go I know the roads anyway, but the Garmin is handy for calculating travel times and fuel stops on long trips, especially if we have someone in the group with less range than my bike. On IBA rides I usually have my fuel stops planned out well in advance. The XT being on sale does make it tempting though...

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some of you may be interested in a comparison of the 396 and the XT.

I grabbed an XT when they first hit the market. First one crapped out, Garmin replaced within a couple days. Second one was also a problem, also replaced quickly. I have a few more Garmins but the XT is by far the best FOR ME.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 396 may be a serviceable unit but it's ancient in terms of I'd personally not buy one new at new prices for what you are getting....even on "sale" new the XT is a far better unit in every way for the $150 price difference. Again just IMHO.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I've run a 396 and XT side by side for about two years now. I've used this arrangement in two rallies and numerous solo rides with multiple waypoints.

The XT has a far better screen, but in most other regards I find the 396 actually performs better in the real world. Primarily the 396 is much, much better at dynamically re-routing when I go off route for any reason. The 396 always recalculates faster and more reliably. The XT sometimes gets stuck in a "do a U-turn" loop even when I'm back on the main route, forcing me to stop and restart the route. The 396 never has this problem.

I have both loaded with the same maps, configured with the same settings. It's infuriating and puzzling. Maybe all the extra features (whatever they are) bog down the XT's CPU? I don't know.

If I had to replace my XT tomorrow I would get another 396, even if they were the same price.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've run a 396 and XT side by side for about two years now. I've used this arrangement in two rallies and numerous solo rides with multiple waypoints.

The XT has a far better screen, but in most other regards I find the 396 actually performs better in the real world. Primarily the 396 is much, much better at dynamically re-routing when I go off route for any reason. The 396 always recalculates faster and more reliably. The XT sometimes gets stuck in a "do a U-turn" loop even when I'm back on the main route, forcing me to stop and restart the route. The 396 never has this problem.

I have both loaded with the same maps, configured with the same settings. It's infuriating and puzzling. Maybe all the extra features (whatever they are) bog down the XT's CPU? I don't know.

If I had to replace my XT tomorrow I would get another 396, even if they were the same price.
Have you tried turning "avoid U-turns" on? I realize sometimes a u-turn is the best option so maybe not ideal but I have noticed the XT requires a bit of tweeking it's settings to get it to route and perform the way I expect vs older Garmin units.

But if the 396 works for YOU that's awesome.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Have you tried turning "avoid U-turns" on? I realize sometimes a u-turn is the best option so maybe not ideal but I have notice the XT requires a bit of twerking it's settings to get it to route and perform the way I expect vs older Garmin units.
Yes, I tried that. Instead of constant "make a U-turn" instructions it would give other nonsensical instructions or sometimes just quit altogether with a "cannot calculate route" error. The more complex the route, the worse the problem.

But even with simple routes I watch them work side by side and the 396 recalculates faster, every single time.

Yes, I tried that. Instead of constant "make a U-turn" instructions it would give other nonsensical instructions or sometimes just quit altogether with a "cannot calculate route" error. The more complex the route, the worse the problem.

But even with simple routes I watch them work side by side and the 396 recalculates faster, every single time.
I've found that running "route" as opposed to Point to Point is always a problem. Why can they just recalculate the portion needed to get back on route. And the more turns in a any calculation the longer it takes. On the NAV-VI i don't allow auto recalculations. I'll just get back on route and let the unit find itself back where it wants to be.

Firstpeke

Turning of U-turns will simply make the software ask you to make three lefts and a right or three rights and a left...... in other words, a u-turn....

If you don't want to have the unit do a recalculate, zoom out a little and find a route to take you back to your track.....

I knew when my 665 was doomed as it started drawing straight lines instead of following the road.... on return from tour the next update refused to install full European mapping... and of course it doesn't support SD cards... had my XT now for a few years....