German R2E Scotland 27th July

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm planning to meet you all at Eilean Donan Castle, then stay the night in Kyleakin and continue up to Uig to get my last BBT location, then ride home.
Ride safe
Regards Bob.
Well done Bob! it's a cracking road to Uig...you'll enjoy it! cheap petrol at a Co-Op shortly after the bridge, on the right-hand side, maybe a couple of miles.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Well being the lightweight here I've only just got round to "planning" this excursion and staying overnight in Inverness was going to take either more effort or more gold than I was willing to throw at it so then I remembered that it's Scotland so I can just pitch my tent pretty much anywhere but then I looked at the weather forecast and reminded myself that Scottish weather can be a bit of bitch especially when the Met Office puts out a yellow warning for rain. So being old and lightweight I have booked myself into a Stirling hotel Saturday night having taken up g.s.john's offer of half a room Friday night. So I'll see you all for the photo at 1500 and then I'm going to play with the roads for a bit before heading south to Stirling. scotrain.png

Last edited:

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Well being the lightweight here I've only just got round to "planning" this excursion and staying overnight in Inverness was going to take either more effort or more gold than I was willing to throw at it so then I remembered that it's Scotland so I can just pitch my tent pretty much anywhere but then I looked at the weather forecast and reminded myself that Scottish weather can be a bit of bitch especially when the Met Office puts out a yellow warning for rain. So being old and lightweight I have booked myself into a Stirling hotel Saturday night having taken up g.s.john's offer of half a room Friday night. So I'll see you all for the photo at 1500 and then I'm going to play with the roads for a bit before heading south to Stirling. View attachment 4239
I had the same nightmare with room costs and availability in Inverness. Ended up with an Airbnb room for £51, advertised as ‘cheap!’

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Jedburgh before 07:00 but very moist. Should clear Edinburgh before too much traffic then up through Callander and Glen Coe. Have heard there is a Speed Awareness operation in Glen Coe and they got a sixty year old biker at 100+, well I’m 68 so bring it on!

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Good weekend leisurely ride up on Friday M25/A1 Northbound for once no incidence or accidents then through the borders to The Buccleuch arms in Moffat via Jedburgh and Selkirk.
After a leisurely breakfast Bob Stammers and i had a good ride until we stopped for coffee just south of Ft William then the rain started and it was still raining at Ellean Donan castle I was surprised to see so many British and German riders there, my kit held up well in the constant rain apart for the gloves which were soaked which was my fault as i did not pull the gor-tex jacket inner over the gloves.
At last the rain stopped so three of us had spirited ride to Inverness:)
I spent an interesting afternoon/early evening in conversation with Phil, Kim, Dave and several of our German friends all of which was alcohol fuelled so my recollection may be a bit hazy, a good meal in the Beef eater in the Premier inn and called it a night around 11pm way past my bed time.
Kim and i were discussing the route home for Sunday i opted for the A82 via Ft William he wasn't so keen because of the tourist traffic at 5 am they are still in bed at that time i saw three cars between Inverness and Ft William Show me a road in the south of England that light, my favourite time of day to ride.
Again the scenic route home via Sterling around Edinburgh and the A68.
There is a cafe in Rochester on the A68 (not to be confused with the one in Kent) which claims to be the last cafe in England if you are heading North it makes no claim to be the first going south so tea bit of fruit cake and in the finest traditions of the IBA a 30 minute kip in the car park.
A good ride home arriving at 7pm the bike never missed a beat the same on the four corners and to my surprise 54 MPG.

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I chose the "follow my satnav" option on Friday and of course it insisted that I go play with the traffic on the M25 first of all. I quickly became bored with that and used the M4 to head west. Of course that decision also meant that I got to enjoy about 150 miles of filtering as far as Stafford services on the M6, still being "upgraded" to smart motorway. 28c while filtering eventually gave way to 18c and raining in Cumbria but, finally, Moffat and a relaxing, £3, pint.
On Saturday, having seen the forecast, and the multiple overhead signs warning of "heavy rain" I donned my rain suit before setting off. John and I had an enjoyable, dry, ride until we stopped for coffee before Fort William. Then the rain started. Despite that we had a very pleasant ride up to Eilean Donan where we were surprised to find the entire population of Germany gathered in the car park, all also wearing rain suits over their regular kit. What a turnout, well done IBA Germany. Spirited riding was called for. The highland roads are awesome and, although the A82 had a fair amount of tourist traffic, generally carrying only light traffic. 410 Scottish miles ended for me in Stirling with steak and ale pie helped by two pints of heavy and apple crumble.
On Sunday Dave Badcock and I met up at Jedburgh woollen mills for lunch and a chat. If like me you've avoided the A68 in the past because you needed the miles and a corner receipt at Berwick do give it a go, it's fabulous. We rode together for a few miles before he turned to head home and I carried on down to Darlington and the A1. I correctly anticipated getting wet in the midlands, upto "I wonder if I should have put my rain suit on" and even "I wonder if I should now put my rain suit on" but then the rain stopped and the skies cleared. Some filtering at the bottom of the M1, lots of filtering round the M25 and home by half past seven.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
There is all ways a price for all this enjoyment both tyres are on legal limit the rear marginally worse, i can't blame BMW's marginal build quality this is all my own work:D
I have been on Metzler Tourance but i fancy Avon Trail rider dual compound on the rear tyre
fitted to loose wheels rear £108 front front approx £78-80

Last edited: