GL1200 aux fuel cell

Has anyone installed an aux fuel cell on a GL1200A? I want to carry enough gas to be able to travel 350-400 miles at 70mph.

Thanks,
Mark

I've seen it done a couple of ways - one wherein the fuel cell was installed in the right saddlebag, along with a pump that feeds in to the top of the main tank - that way, as you run your main tank down, you switch on the aux pump and re-fill your main tank -

I've also seen a tank mounted in the passenger seat, for gravity feed to the main tank, with a ball valve to turn the flow on/off.

I've also seen flat-ish fuel cells mounted below the top box (making brackets to fit) -

So yes - it can be done and done safely -

You may want to check out goldwingfacts.com - it's a treasure trove of information.

ETA: Fuel capacity is 5.8 gallons (22 liters) for your bike - adding a 20 or 21 liter fuel cell should be very do-able and will bring you within spittin' distance of the 11.5 gallon capacity (44.53 liters)

As I would routinely get 200-220 miles to the thank on my gl1200A - that's about the capacity you're looking for -

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,

azdesertdad, I have not explored the range of the bike once it hits 1/8th of tank or less. I bought the GL1200A in April of last year. Nearest interstate is about 95 miles away and I have not yet explored the mpg while running 70mph.

KWThom, the pictures of the GlL1000 are much better for my purposes than one I saw of that bike previously.

-Mark

Thanks for the replies,

I have not explored the range of the bike once it hits 1/8th of tank or less. I bought the GL1200A in April of last year. Nearest interstate is about 95 miles away and I have not yet explored the mpg while running 70mph.
Hi Mark -

I had a cupla GL1200s that I rode for years - an 85i and an 84a - They routinely averaged about 200 miles to the tank - sometimes as much as 220, sometimes as low as 185 - both depending on wind/throttle - but 200 a tank is (in my experience) the average at freeway speeds -

I personally never explored the capacity at 1/8 of a tank or less - I always managed to fill up before getting all the way from "E" (empty) to "W" (walk) - so I couldn't tell you -

:-D

The only thing I don't like about the 1100/1200 series is the stator - check your stator wires and most especially the plug where they join - they have a tendency to get corrosion/melty on you - Options are to solder the connections or to unplug it altogether and install an alternator driven from the crankshaft (poor boy conversion) - that being said, I loved my 1200s, and my 1100 standard - they gave me many, many happy miles.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mark, I've put auxiliary tanks on a bunch of bikes although I've never put a cell on a GL1200A. Its good that you have a target clear in your mind (400 at 70mph), but I think it does help to know what fuel range you have available now. Load up a jerry can on the back, ride to the interstate if that is the test track, fill the tank and jerry and explore that lower 1/8th. Use the jerry can when it coughs and now you know your starting point. The aux capacity and style (pillion seat, pannier, rear rack etc) can be sorted out when you have a final total volume in mind.

In order to be IBA "legal", the entire fuel system shall have a measured capacity not to exceed 11.5 gallons.
Ken, that 11.5 gallon limit is for the IBR, not the IBA.

Only if Mark is planning running this bike and aux combination in the Iron Butt Rally (and some other rallies) does the 11.5 gallons become a limit.

Mark, I've put auxiliary tanks on a bunch of bikes although I've never put a cell on a GL1200A. Its good that you have a target clear in your mind (400 at 70mph), but I think it does help to know what fuel range you have available now. Load up a jerry can on the back, ride to the interstate if that is the test track, fill the tank and jerry and explore that lower 1/8th. Use the jerry can when it coughs and now you know your starting point. The aux capacity and style (pillion seat, pannier, rear rack etc) can be sorted out when you have a final total volume in mind.
OX,

When warmer weather comes that is my going plan. I believe a 5 gal tank will get me close to the magic 350 mile range. 2 lane riding has seen 39.5-43.5 mpg. Max fill up so far has been 4 gal. Come spring I'll run the bike to less than a quarter tank, drain the tank to get rid of the sediments, fill it up, and do the run out of gas range test.

-Mark

azdesertdad,

The saddle bag is a discreet option. I personally was hoping to keep the space available for other uses. When I started my google searches I concentrated on the GL1200, there are a lot more references to the GL1500 & GL1800.

-Mark

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ive just done a tank build for a ctx honda. Aux cell holds 22lt and sits flat over the pillion seat running to the rear and is gravity feed to the main.
My point here is any bike can have a cell made to suit.
Ox has as stated fitted auxiliary cells to many of his bikes.
Also a good poi t regards the volume issue as this is v st ry often missunderstood.
Cheers ox for noting that.