GOLD and Insanity Level Rides under 1500 miles

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We all have different reasons and ways to feed our LD riding passion whether it's rallies, multi-day rides, or intense 24 hour rides. I love them all. Just an FYI if you are not aware, here is a list (I may have missed some) of GOLD and Insanity level rides under 1500 miles (for Mile Eater). Just be aware of the rules for nesting rides. Yeah, I'm color blind so I have to ask normal folks the colors of the little motorcycles at the bottom of "my rides" available to Premier Members online through the IBA e-store. As many of you know, rides on your "my rides" list which have an asterisk (nested) will not add to the count at the bottom of your "my rides" list.

GOLD and Insanity level rides under 1500 miles:

- Tour of Honor SS1000 Extreme
- EggSanity GOLD
- Ice Cream Insanity 1000
- Ride Around Kentucky GOLD
- Ride Around Oklahoma GOLD
- Ride Around North Dakota GOLD
- ANY in-city 1000 insanity
- Mother's Day 1000 GOLD
- Independence Day 1000 GOLD
- Scooter 1000 Rides

Exciting and different rides... but from another perspective as one rider put it, "at some point we just can't stay in the saddle beyond 1000 miles anymore and these types of rides, though not easy rides, keep us focused on achieving that next Mile Eater Award level."

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Miles <> time in the saddle so that quote stating not being able to be in the saddle more than 1000 miles doesn't make sense to me. For example an in city SS1000 in say NYC, Seattle,.Houston, Toronto etc would take dang near 24 hours in the saddle. I'd wager depending on where you are a 4th of July SS1000 would take near 24 hours too, considering traffic.

I'd much rather ride 1500 miles in 24 hours where I'm moving and traffic free vs sitting in Chicago traffic moving an average of 20 mph for a 1000 miles.

So while it's cool to be able to get a Gold cert for a 1000 mile ride, if one thinks some of these are simple 15 hour 1000 mile rides may wish to reconsider that thought.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I hear yah Marc. They might have been looking at it as starting off their gold ride with a pre-dawn plate of eggs and bacon, ride 300 miles for eggs and a waffle while off the bike for 30-45 minutes, ride another 300 miles for an egg, ham and cheese sandwich while off the bike for another 30-45 minutes, ride another 250 miles for eggs and pancakes while off the bike for another 30 minutes, and finish up 200 miles down the road with a Western Omelet all while visiting the four required chains. You are right, these are not easy rides. It's going to take most of the 24 hours to complete an EggSanity GOLD but it's not 22'ish straight hours in the saddle for a GOLD ride. And likely it's the same thought with the Ice Cream Insanity ride. Not just riding these rides is the tough part, these rides take tons of planning with coordinating store hours, where to use your wildcards, where to get your fireworks picture, are you even close to "Independence", and it all includes strategic route planning, that's were I see the balance is between 1500 mile gold rides and under 1500 mile gold rides. And planning rides like this is just as fun as riding rides like this. And you certainly can't knock out a scooter ride in 15 hours.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I hear yah Marc. They might have been looking at it as starting off their gold ride with a pre-dawn plate of eggs and bacon, ride 300 miles for eggs and a waffle while off the bike for 30-45 minutes, ride another 300 miles for an egg, ham and cheese sandwich while off the bike for another 30-45 minutes, ride another 250 miles for eggs and pancakes while off the bike for another 30 minutes, and finish up 200 miles down the road with a Western Omelet all while visiting the four required chains. You are right, these are not easy rides. It's going to take most of the 24 hours to complete an EggSanity GOLD but it's not 22'ish straight hours in the saddle for a GOLD ride. And likely it's the same thought with the Ice Cream Insanity ride. Not just riding these rides is the tough part, these rides take tons of planning with coordinating store hours, where to use your wildcards, where to get your fireworks picture, are you even close to "Independence", and it all includes strategic route planning, that's were I see the balance is between 1500 mile gold rides and under 1500 mile gold rides. And planning rides like this is just as fun as riding rides like this. And you certainly can't knock out a scooter ride in 15 hours.
Agree the Eggsantiy ride has less saddle time, but perhaps more toilet time....