Good helmet for rain and cold?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Or just drill some 5mm holes and install pins on your current visor. They used to sell a Universal kitwith pins, insert, drill bit & template. PINS

DIY instructions

Generic ebay version using double face tape for $20.

Aliexpress Pinlock kit

And just as an aside, I always buy a second visor to keep the pinlock installed on. I find it much easier to keep the insert un-damaged if kept on a visor, and much quicker to just swap visors when I want the pinlock. YMMV.

Mike721

Premier Member
I loved my pinlock shield on my Arai, it really worked for fogging, but I stopped using it after I realized how much less light it let's in, I can see noticeably better at night without it. Besides IBA rides I also ride to work in the dark every morning so night vision makes a big difference. I do have more struggles with the fog though it's OK on the highway, if I'm riding locally in the winter I might put it back in, especially during the day.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I loved my pinlock shield on my Arai, it really worked for fogging, but I stopped using it after I realized how much less light it let's in, I can see noticeably better at night without it.
Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard this comment about Pinlock shields. I assume your Pinlock isn't tinted, correct? I'm curious if others have experienced the same.

I currently have an Invision anti-fog shield, and although I think it reduces clarity very slightly, I don't perceive that it blocks any light.

Mike721

Premier Member
My pinlock is clear, and I never noticed that it was blocking the light until someone pointed this out in a discussion, which coincided with some issues that I was having..I was thinking that old age was slowly reducing my night vision but once I removed that inner shield the problem went away. Googling "pinlock night use" will provide some interesting reading...

Last edited:

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IIRC, the instructions that came with the Pinlock expressly state that it is not to be used at night. That said, although there is a very slight reduction in light penetration, I never bother to stop to remove it when the sun goes down.

My ongoing problem with faceshields is that I rarely ever ride with the clear one down. Prior to having a Neotec, I used tinted safety glasses during the day and clear or yellow safety glasses during the night. Only if it was quite cold, raining (or snowing), or there were road hazards being kicked up by other traffic did I drop the clear shield. By the time I do drop the clear shield (now only at night when the tinted shield goes up) it is so covered with bug guts that I can hardly see where I am going. :eek:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Stephen! - And as I recall, we had that conversation at a Utah 1088, along with a slap to the back of your head, for not wearing your PPE correctly. Might as well just buy a 3/4 helmet if you're not going to wear the modular correctly. ;) Wendy C does that too, even after the bug to the eye incident, during which she was wearing safety glasses, IIRC.

On the Pinlock inserts, at some point we're just looking thru too many layers. For me with prescription glasses, it's up to 5 layers of plastic if I have the Pinlock insert in and drop down sun visor down. Each of which can get dirty, compounding clarity. I have logged many miles with the clear Pinlock insert in, at night, in the rain. I'll accept some loss of light in order to have a fog free visor in pouring rain at hwy speeds.

Oh, and BTW, they do offer yellow tinted Pinlock inserts. I haven't tried them, but many people swear by the positive effects of yellow lenses under low light conditions.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
@Stephen! - And as I recall, we had that conversation at a Utah 1088, along with a slap to the back of your head, for not wearing your PPE correctly. Might as well just buy a 3/4 helmet if you're not going to wear the modular correctly. ;) Wendy C does that too, even after the bug to the eye incident, during which she was wearing safety glasses, IIRC.
Meh... Getting out of bed in the morning (or not) comes with risk. :D

Is there an increased risk of injury? Perhaps, but I choose to mitigate that risk with either a sun shade or safety glasses. The brother of a buddy from years gone by was blinded in one eye by a burning cigarette butt that made its way into his full-face helmet by passing UNDER the chinbar and lodging against his eye. The damage was done before he could even react. Perhaps having his faceshield open would have allowed that butt to pass through and bounce out before binding him...

Comparing riding with a modular full-face helmet with the faceshield (I did say faceshield and not chinbar, yes?) up to riding with a ¾ helmet is nowhere near an accurate nor fair comparison.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My point is if you're going to spend good money on quality PPE, why not use it the way it was intended?

As I told you then, if you start riding with the face shield closed, you will get used to it. I get that you believe you want some air flow. And I accept that we all manage our risks in our own ways. My helmet has a chin skirt, btw. Makes for a quieter helmet experience. Something that might not have existed back in the day. Things happen.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
FWIW, I found that the chin skirt on my Scorpion helmet made fogging considerably worse. It apparently blocked my hot, humid breath from escaping the helmet adequately.

If anyone else is reading this thread because they have fogging issues, try removing the chin skirt if you have one.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
FWIW, I found that the chin skirt on my Scorpion helmet made fogging considerably worse. It apparently blocked my hot, humid breath from escaping the helmet adequately.

If anyone else is reading this thread because they have fogging issues, try removing the chin skirt if you have one.
That's interesting. I've not noticed that. In cold weather I run the nose curtain piece too, along with the chin skirt. The nose piece deflects the air from my breath down into the chin vent area instead of up into the visor area. Many helmets come with these, but I have noticed not a lot of people use them.

Every helmet is different though, some vent much better than others. I love the newer flow thru venting with exhaust ports on the back of some helmets now. Huge improvement over the FF helmets of the '80s with no venting anywhere except the chin.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Many helmets come with these, but I have noticed not a lot of people use them.
Now, add a microphone to the mix of all that paraphernalia immediately adjacent to your mouth.

Not for me, though I will have those accessory pieces in my small gear-bag stashed in the bike on those cold/wet rides...yet the only one I use is the chin skirt.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
That's interesting. I've not noticed that....

Every helmet is different though, some vent much better than others.
Yes, and every rider is different. I have a large, long head which makes it difficult to find any helmet where my chin doesn't contact the chin bar. This is my main problem with Schuberth; I literally can't even close their chin bars because my face is in the way.

A nose piece does help reduce fogging, but the two times I've tried to use a chin skirt (on this Scorpion and on an old Shoei FF) it exacerbated fogging badly. The chin curtain actually rests against my chin and forms a seal. Furthermore, I seem to exhale more moisture than most people. Whenever I'm in a car with other passengers, the windows next to me always fog up first.

Such is life for a freak of nature.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I recently bought a C3Pro. Been riding a C3 since they first showed up on the market. I have pinlocks on both and have no issues with night riding.

This discussion is the first I heard anything about it.