Google Maps for electronic submission.

So I just completed my attempt at a SS1000. I was looking at the electronic submission page. It suggested using Google Maps to create a digital map of the ride that you could submit. However, when I input 10 way points, it will not let me add any more. Sadly, with my smaller tank, I needed 14 stops.

Am I not doing something right? If Google maps only lets you use 10 stops, is there another acceptable way to create a digital map to use for electronic submission?

Thanks

1593618287620.png

Richard Terry

Premier Member
You have to break the trip into smaller segments by using Layers. Ft. Worth to the Chevron, the Chevron to San Antonio, then San Antonio to Ft Worth.
I'm not real adept at google maps but that is what I have done and submitted.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I mean, you also have tried-and-true print map, then use highlighter or Sharpie to manually mark the route.

From the guidelines:

This map is to assist the person verifying the routes and is meant to give a good overall picture of your ride. You do not actually have to find the small towns you stopped in, just circle the approximate area. The best map is one that shows your route on one or two pages.
Once marked, then scan it & you're done!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Also, remember that the map need not show every stop, just the route. As the rules state, in part:

"Find a map (an old, or photocopied one is acceptable) and circle the cities you stopped in (don't forget the start and ending points) for gas/food/etc (a Xerox of a map is acceptable). This map is to assist the person verifying the routes and is meant to give a good overall picture of your ride. You do not actually have to find the small towns you stopped in, just circle the approximate area."

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

lnelson

Premier Member
On my last ride I created four maps and labeled them 1,2,3, & 4. You could easily do that, 7 stops on the first map, 8 on the second (start with the last point on the first map). Copy the links and paste those links into your application.

I have always used Microsoft Streets & Trips. Only problem is they don't make it anymore. The last issue is 2013. You can still find it on Amazon.. Very easy to use once you get used to it. You can print the map with high lights and the directions if you want to. Never had any of my trips questioned. You can plot as many way points/stops as you want.